Reclining your seat

Old Jun 20, 19, 9:50 pm
  #46  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: HKG
Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Posts: 235
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
Since this was CX I don't think so...FAs are trained to ask passengers to adjust their seats for meal. Since the FA said something else I presume a meal was not involved. Unless the FA is hopeless.
When I was asked to put my seat up it was right after drink service, and BEFORE meal service. It turned out that the child had a special meal so that's why the FA asked the guy next to me to put his seat up. But the reason I was asked to put my seat up was because the seat was too close to the rude lady's face.
flubber is offline  
Old Jun 20, 19, 11:25 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: FRA (formerly JNB)
Programs: LH M&M
Posts: 153
Originally Posted by flubber View Post
When I was asked to put my seat up it was right after drink service, and BEFORE meal service. It turned out that the child had a special meal so that's why the FA asked the guy next to me to put his seat up. But the reason I was asked to put my seat up was because the seat was too close to the rude lady's face.
Ok then I misunderstood. I guess she must just be your garden variety jerk. Unfortunately you find them from time to time.
purch is offline  
Old Jun 20, 19, 11:41 pm
  #48  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 124
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
It's funny how you seem to think that the consideration only flows backwards in the aircraft - the person in front should be considerate of *your* desires. But it never seems to flow forward - where *you* are considerate of the desire of the person in front of you to use the features installed in the seat that *they* paid for.

Now, if you want to sit behind me and pay for my ticket, then I will happily adjust my recline to whatever position you desire. But if you're not paying for my ticket, and you want to tell me what I need to do in order to make you more comfortable, well, that's just being selfish.
What part of "calculate whether the gain to your utility outweighs the loss to yours" did you not read?

Most of the time, your gain is less than the loss to the person behind you. Not always but mostly

And to your first point - it's literally civilisation. Noise complaints prevent you enjoying your music if your enjoyment of it affects others. C'est civilisation!
akl_traveller is offline  
Old Jun 20, 19, 11:45 pm
  #49  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Depends
Posts: 14,489
Originally Posted by Chr04 View Post
In many European trains instead of recline seats, the horizontal part of the seat goes front and so you recline but you dont bother they guy behind behind.behind.

Why airlines dont dont use this kind of seat, so you can recline but also its yiu that get the minimized space and not the guy behind you.
Cos I sleep on planes more than trains. I have a bad back. The horizontal seat (which is akin to CX's Olympus "hard shell" economy seat from the 2010s) is not as comfortable for sleeping as an actual recline.
percysmith is offline  
Old Jun 20, 19, 11:47 pm
  #50  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Depends
Posts: 14,489
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
  • Pick an exit row
  • Pick a bulkhead
  • Buy two seats and try to talk them into leaving the one in front of you empty
  • Pick Premium Economy [doesn't always work. see above]
  • Buy First or Biz
  • Take a bus
  • Walk
Or just recline herself?
I'm sorry by physical restrictions that you and the pax behind you have to either watch TV or sleep at the same time, but how justifiable is it for one passenger to impose on the other either way?
percysmith is offline  
Old Jun 21, 19, 1:58 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6,279
This old chestnut.

If the seat reclines, then I feel free to do so, other than at meal times. I don't feel a need to engage with or ask permission from other passengers.

If your issue is a lack of space, then speak to the airline about their seat pitch or use one of the options that caters for this.
simons1 is offline  
Old Jun 21, 19, 4:12 am
  #52  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
[removed]

For the love of cornflakes - you bought a ticket on an airplane, KNOWING that recline is a function of the seat in front of you. If you don't like that:
  • Don't fly
  • Pick an exit row
  • Pick a bulkhead
  • Buy two seats and try to talk them into leaving the one in front of you empty
  • Pick Premium Economy
  • Buy First or Biz
  • Take a bus
  • Walk
You have choices. [removed]

[removed] Reclining your seat and using your tray table have exactly the same regulations - there are only limitations on takeoff, landing and emergencies. Someone has exactly the same 'right' to use the tray table in any way they wish that is not counter to the small number of limitations, just like reclining.

KNOWING that a tray table can be used rightfully in most any manner, a person that does not like the fact that the tray table can be used as a 'equalizer' have most of same alternate travel options you describe with the added option of buying in the last row. So why with two equal 'rights' - both of which were paid for, do you favor one over the other..is it perhaps that one allows you to trample the humanity of others with no consequence and the other allows a measure of equalization? Rarely do bullies like it when thier victims can fight back.

[references to redacted quote]

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Jun 21, 19 at 9:13 am Reason: deleted references to removed quotes
Nhilar is offline  
Old Jun 21, 19, 5:33 am
  #53  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Spring, TX
Programs: UA Amex
Posts: 36
Does anyone consider that the reason seats recline is because the airlines have evening, early morning, and overnight flights?
Maybe on a daytime flight there is not a need to put your seat in someone elseís face.
And on an RJóno, the seat isnít broken, it wonít go farther back if you keep bouncing your whole weight into it...I just donít have anywhere else to put my knees because my carryon is under your seat.
strickerj likes this.
jburns513 is offline  
Old Jun 21, 19, 6:00 am
  #54  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
[removed]

For the love of cornflakes - you bought a ticket on an airplane, KNOWING that recline is a function of the seat in front of you. If you don't like that:
  • Don't fly
  • Pick an exit row
  • Pick a bulkhead
  • Buy two seats and try to talk them into leaving the one in front of you empty
  • Pick Premium Economy
  • Buy First or Biz
  • Take a bus
  • Walk
You have choices. [removed]
Originally Posted by jburns513 View Post
Does anyone consider that the reason seats recline is because the airlines have evening, early morning, and overnight flights?
Maybe on a daytime flight there is not a need to put your seat in someone else’s face.
And on an RJ—no, the seat isn’t broken, it won’t go farther back if you keep bouncing your whole weight into it...I just don’t have anywhere else to put my knees because my carryon is under your seat.
My issue is not with reclining in general, but rather what you do exactly should your reclining cause physical pain/harm/discomfort to the person behind you. Do you choose to hurt them (after all it is your right) ? (A choice that seems to be A-okay with some on here) or do you choose empathy/compassion/mercy and generosity of spirit?

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Jun 21, 19 at 9:14 am Reason: removed edited portions of quote
Nhilar is offline  
Old Jun 21, 19, 6:35 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ontario. Canada
Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Posts: 5,070
Originally Posted by txpenny View Post
With the constantly shrinking seat room, space is tough. Regardless of how politely you said no, I think it was quite inconsiderate of you to ignore the FA's request.
It was not inconsiderate. The FA only told him that the person behind him wanted the seat raised. In this situation I would not have raised it either. Had however the FA mentioned it was because the woman was feeding her child I would have raised it temporarily until she was finished and then reclined as I saw fit.

Recline doesn't matter that much to me. Ask me nicely and provide a valid reason why I shouldn't and I will likely accommodate your request. Should however someone act like the woman in the first post or start pushing of kicking my seat the response will be very, very different.
flubber likes this.
Badenoch is offline  
Old Jun 21, 19, 7:44 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: TPA/DFW
Programs: AA EXP, MB LTTE/A HH DIA, DL
Posts: 1,086
Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
It was not inconsiderate. The FA only told him that the person behind him wanted the seat raised. In this situation I would not have raised it either. Had however the FA mentioned it was because the woman was feeding her child I would have raised it temporarily until she was finished and then reclined as I saw fit.

Recline doesn't matter that much to me. Ask me nicely and provide a valid reason why I shouldn't and I will likely accommodate your request. Should however someone act like the woman in the first post or start pushing of kicking my seat the response will be very, very different.
In your opinion (and clearly many others).

Not to doubt the OP but we're not hearing the other side of the story. I'm going by the OP's statement that the FA (or arbiter in this case) asked the OP to raise his seat, meaning the FA deemed the woman's request appropriate (rightly or wrongly).

Aren't we supposed to obey the FA?
txpenny is offline  
Old Jun 21, 19, 8:03 am
  #57  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ontario. Canada
Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Posts: 5,070
Originally Posted by txpenny View Post
In your opinion (and clearly many others).

Not to doubt the OP but we're not hearing the other side of the story. I'm going by the OP's statement that the FA (or arbiter in this case) asked the OP to raise his seat, meaning the FA deemed the woman's request appropriate (rightly or wrongly).

Aren't we supposed to obey the FA?
The FA made a request, she did not issue an instruction on a safely-related matter. The OP and his seatmate were under no obligation, legal or otherwise, to acquiesce and there were no consequences from the airline for their refusal. It would take a highly-developed level of subservience to believe that one must "obey" each and every request from a flight attendant.
flubber and muji like this.
Badenoch is offline  
Old Jun 21, 19, 3:16 pm
  #58  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 124
Here's a question worth asking
If we're allowed to recline our seat, because the seats recline (an argument that would get you failed in Logic 101), are we also entitled to press hard against the seatback ahead of us with our legs to prevent it reclining? Or to attach a device to the seat stopping it?

I imagine the responses will be "no, those seat blocking devices are against the rules", constructing a beautiful circular argument that probably appeals to 18-year olds first discovering political philosophy ("Everything that isn't illegal is equally right"), but what about using one's feet? Should a recliner prevent me from sitting in a pseudo-fetal position?
akl_traveller is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 3:58 am
  #59  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Depends
Posts: 14,489
Originally Posted by akl_traveller View Post
Or to attach a device to the seat stopping it?
Already banned Knee defender (CX/KA-specific)
percysmith is offline  
Old Jun 22, 19, 8:08 am
  #60  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Citizen of EMEA
Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Marriott LTTitanium, HH Diamond
Posts: 305
The OP did the right thing IMO although all the fuss could have been averted if the mother simply said "Excuse me gentlemen, I'm about to give my daughter her meal and therefore would you be so kind as to put your seats upright for the next 15 minutes or so".

It's not illegal to communicate with strangers and if doing so was a source of discomfort for the mother then that's her problem. There was no dispute that warranted involving the FA's. In this case the fault lies entirely with the mother who failed to communicate in a polite manner and as a result ended up creating an unnecessary fuss.
flubber, yno, rickg523 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Saint4805; Jun 22, 19 at 8:14 am
Saint4805 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread