Search

Knee defender (CX/KA-specific)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:44 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Knee defender (CX/KA-specific)

I already read the QF thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...-defender.html and note the mod action. I only want to discuss CX/KA-specific issues here.

1. Has anyone seen these used on CX/KA flights?

2. Has CX/KA made any statements on this akin to QF/VA?

3. Do you think CX/KA FAs will be willing to confront pax using these devices (cf Australian, US FAs)?

4. Anyone found where to buy these on Taobao?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Never seen it in practice and I rarely see people recline their seats on regional flights. I certainly don't recline mine. I imagine the statement would be this is not allowed, but I have no heard anything official on this.

I think it's a .........gery thing to use.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
There is a special level of hell reserved for people who use this object.

I sympathize with the person that cannot open their laptop on a tray table--but if the laptop is that mission critical, there are plenty of options. Use a tablet, pay for a bulkhead seat, pay for an upgrade to Y+ or J.

If the use of the laptop doesn't justify spending, then forego it for the flight.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:46 pm

How selfish do you have to be to even consider using these?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:56 pm

I admit that I have not had experience on CX's economy seat with a hard shell nor this device.

Q - can such a device have any impact on CX's Y seat with a hard shell? I would have thought not.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:48 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
Original Poster

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Not on regional seats (CX's hard shell regional seats are cited as examples of places where knee defender is not necessary). But long-haul cradle?

Doesn't look like Taobao have them yet. Thank goodness. But I'll be very concerned when they have it!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:03 pm

Article in today's SCMP:

http://www.scmp.com/news/world/artic...ng-spurs-sales

"The four largest US carriers - American Airlines, United, Delta and Southwest - all bar the use of the Knee Defender. Cathay Pacific said it doesn't have a policy on the issue and is still evaluating the situation."
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:24 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by theworld
Article in today's SCMP:

http://www.scmp.com/news/world/artic...ng-spurs-sales

"The four largest US carriers - American Airlines, United, Delta and Southwest - all bar the use of the Knee Defender. Cathay Pacific said it doesn't have a policy on the issue and is still evaluating the situation."
I don't know in which world the policy will not be to ban this device.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: KA "The Elite"
This what I saw a few months ago on a KA flight:

German guy watching show on his ipad (resting on the seat tablet).
Huge dutch guy (on exit road), suddenly fully reclines with all the force of his body.
The tablet was badly hit but luckily the german had quick enough reflex to pull it out before the damage was total.
He complained to the beast in front by poking his elbow, to which he got quite loud threats back. No apologies no nothing.

Knee defender? considering the beast one can find on board from time to time....a simitar could be more appropriate :-)

Nowadays I'm very careful with my computer screen, plus who wants a knee defender when you can use your own foot or knee to the same effect :-)

Last edited by longliveKA; Aug 30, 2014 at 2:05 am
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by percysmith
Not on regional seats (CX's hard shell regional seats are cited as examples of places where knee defender is not necessary). But long-haul cradle?
I kind of like the "everybody loses" aspect of the hard shell cradle. Instead of making the recline game a zero-sum game, everybody loses. Very democratic.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by longliveKA
This what I saw a few months ago on a KA flight:

German guy watching show on his ipad (resting on the seat tablet).
Huge dutch guy (on exit road), suddenly fully reclines with all the force of his body.
The tablet was badly hit but luckily the german had quick enough reflex to pull it out before the damage was total.
Sadly a lot people are also inconsiderate.

Just one thing, what is "pocking his armbow?"
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Pickles
I kind of like the "everybody loses" aspect of the hard shell cradle. Instead of making the recline game a zero-sum game, everybody loses. Very democratic.
execpt Cathay did do hard shell cradle Y seats and loads of people complained......so they switched back.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by alphaod
Just one thing, what is "pocking his armbow?"
I imagine it is "poking" and not another device!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by MrPie
execpt Cathay did do hard shell cradle Y seats and loads of people complained......so they switched back.
Whiners. They're flying in Y, what do they expect? Let them eat cake.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by Pickles
Frankly up till now I still don't understand why the fixed shell recline feels so different than cradle... Ideally or theoretically, for fixed shell seat move forward, back recline, if designed properly it should feel the same as cradle seat... Except for fixed shell it's in expense of the knee space rather than the space of the rear passenger...

But in reality the difference in feeling is far from just losing a few inches knee space...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.