Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:04 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Knee Defender

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...827-3edyi.html

Has anyone tried these on QF aircraft? Do they work?

IMHO, these would be brilliant on short domestic flights (eg BNE-SYD-MEL etc). Not, however, for long hauls.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The use of illegal devices is hardly brilliant , nor is it brilliant for a passenger to be restricting the rights of other passengers
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:05 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] I am reopening this thread for discussion. However, I would like to set some ground rules:

- The discussion has to be QF specific. (and AFAIK QF has banned the device so I am not sure how much there is to discuss)
- No general discussion about this device or the UA incident
- No general discussion about passenger rights or the morality of using this device.

I might move this thread to another forum or merge with another thread here on FT at a later time. [/mod hat]

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; Aug 27, 2014 at 2:06 am
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
- The discussion has to be QF specific. (and AFAIK QF has banned the device so I am not sure how much there is to discuss)
It has indeed been reported that QF does not permit the use of such a device onboard.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:35 am

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The use of illegal devices is hardly brilliant , nor is it brilliant for a passenger to be restricting the rights of other passengers
^ This, no discussion required IMHO and it seems that QF agrees
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by eminere
It has indeed been reported that QF does not permit the use of such a device onboard.
Anything tampering with aircraft interiors should be banned.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by og
http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...827-3edyi.html

Has anyone tried these on QF aircraft? Do they work?

IMHO, these would be brilliant on short domestic flights (eg BNE-SYD-MEL etc). Not, however, for long hauls.
You might not find it so brilliant if you used it and I was the passenger sitting in front of you. Just saying.

Glad that the two Aussie airlines have banned the things.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
nor is it brilliant for a passenger to be restricting the rights of other passengers
Agreed. QF economy seats come with that much recline, and everyone knows it. If you want more space, there are some fancy seats up front.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
They are not illegal. QF, despite what it may think, does not make law. They are merely prohibited by the airline. It's debatable if use would constitute interfering with an aircraft, but that's clearly up to a court to decide.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:30 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
They are not illegal. QF, despite what it may think, does not make law. They are merely prohibited by the airline. It's debatable if use would constitute interfering with an aircraft, but that's clearly up to a court to decide.
[mod hat]Please don't get into a discussion about the differences between laws/rules/T&Cs etc. Wrong place, wrong forum and nothing good comes out of it. Dave Noble is right, no matter how you call it, QF doesn't want this thing on their planes. [/mod hat]

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; Aug 30, 2014 at 8:13 am
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Knee Defender

Just to add: On a plane or ship: Captains word is law.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.