Community
Wiki Posts
Search

21 Things Flight Attendants Don't Want You to Know

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Join the military, go to Afghanistan for 6 months up in the mountains, having a fork someone peed on would be a massive upgrade....

It is all perspective

Consider it the same as getting a free update to your immune system
Spot on.

Spend some time in the third world.

Also, the things that are dangerous in terms of food safety are NOT an FA brushing off a roll, or wiping a fork on his pant leg....
Old May 29, 2019, 2:24 am

I can almost guarantee that the health standards of any restaurant/in flight meal are higher than your home kitchen

Restaurants (at least in my country) have food safety plans. Regular temperature checking. Clearly defined storage and preparation areas. Division of cooked and uncooked food. Swab testing. Regular audits and checks. Your home kitchen on the other hand is probably swimming in bacteria.

I've never worked in a restaurant, but I worked for years in a butchery. You could have eaten off our floor. 75 degree hot water hoses (celsius), enough disinfectant to peel the paint off a house, thermometers, plastic, everything stainless steel and scrubbed down. 100x cleaner than my home kitchen

Commercial food places can't risk you getting sick or getting a low grade from the inspection agency
strickerj likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
As I remain unfazed by sneezing and coughing passengers, stained seats, uncleaned tray tables, seat back pockets with who knows what stuffed in it, sticky lav floors and all of the other less than appetizing aspects of air travel about the last thing I'd be worried about is some FA dropping a fork and putting it back on my plate.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I found once started traveling internationally, that we in the US are over obssed with sanitation. It doesn't mean we need to throw everything we think away. However we do need to become a bit less obssed. Coming in contact with germs is one of the best ways to prevent getting seriously sick. There's simply no need for the strong antibacterial soaps we use. End up with superbugs or immune systems lacking abilitirs to fight back. No different from over use of antibiotic prescriptions.
As much as I draw the line on eating stuff that has fallen on the floor, I agree with you, and my aversion for dropped food is more irrational than rational. In the US we have compromised our immune system significantly in the last 2-4 decades from an overuse of antibacterial soaps and antibiotics, reduction in exposure to the elements, and the increase in the number of C-section births. (Yes, immunity starts building up from the moment you go through the birthing canal.) This is leading to all kinds of chronic health conditions that were rare earlier and are still rare in many parts of the world.

For instance, I have a very delicate stomach and even the slightest perturbance causes issues. But that is more the fault of my lifestyle than the germs I sometimes come in contact with when I travel.

Originally Posted by exwannabe
What totally grosses me out is how many people pick up their own food in their hand. Do they not know what their hands have touched?
We should be eating Snickers bars with a fork and knife a la Seinfeld?
Old May 29, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Basically the article can be summarized as follows:

- FA jobs are awesome, but also the job sucks
- We're stronger than you, but also sickly, week, and worn out
- We might save your life, but also we might be just barely sober
- It's gross that you walk on the floor barefoot, but also we might serve you floor food

strickerj likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
If you survived to be a walking human, you have already been through the hardest part. If it goes on the floor don't eat it if you don't want to, don't use it, or dont walk bare footed, but it won't be any worse than what you went through in your first 18 months of life. See below.

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/rele...hey-crawl.html
muji likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
This a list for a FOTSG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.