Search

fly flat beds

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 12:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Marriott,
fly flat beds

I was on Delta today and their flat bed was like a cocoon. Almost Clastophobic. Did Virgin Atlantic several years ago and it was a real bed. Can you all describe other flat beds on other airlines Merci
Old May 29, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I've flown on flat-beds on the following airlines:

UA
AC
LH
Aeroflot
CA
Swiss

In my experience, the quality of the bed, space, comfort, etc., vary as one might expect. But none felt claustrophobic. I've never flown Delta biz, so I can't make a comparative assessment.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
This is a pretty broad request. Even on Delta they have more than one style of business class seat/bed.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Marriott,
maybe I should be more precise and ask which planes too. I was on Delta airbus A330-300 suites
Old May 29, 2019, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CoffeeTeaorMe
I was on Delta today and their flat bed was like a cocoon. Almost Clastophobic. Did Virgin Atlantic several years ago and it was a real bed. Can you all describe other flat beds on other airlines Merci
In AA lingo those are called “coffins” and I find that style very claustrophobic. When I can make it work, I sleep backwards with my head it the open part where the feet are meant to go. The FAs mock me, but whatever works.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: QF WP

VS and NZ use the same style of herringbone lay out seats which means your feet are unrestricted. I’ve not flown VS but the NZ version doesn’t recline as such, you have to flip it over to make it into a bed, and it has a built in mattress-y pad thing

they get what can diplomatically be described as “mixed reviews” and I believe they are the only 2 airlines operating that particular seat?

(picture attached NZ Dreamliner)
Old May 29, 2019, 10:06 pm

If you want a 'best' business class seat,

qsuite - unique design, footspace is confined but not as restricted as herringbone. Some people think it's a little claustrophobic if door is closed

window seat on apex suites (massive privacy and space, no confined footspace ), carry-on can fit under ottoman (very accessible) but no storage space
Old May 30, 2019, 12:01 am

Here is the SAS seat on the A330. Narrow foot well, of course. But less 'coffiny' than VS. Made the mistake once of not having it fully flat; woke up having slid into foot well. Prefer to have the armrest thing on the aisle side, as a buffer.

Old May 30, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I think the most coffiny I've ever felt was Air Berlin.
BA feels like you are sleeping in the aisle.
LX apart from row 4/5 is a giant dorm like feeling.
Air Canada has dirty planes in general, and the old pods were tight

I've flown about 4 dozen different airlines in J, and especially flying as a couple, I still prefer the wide spacious 2 sets on airlines like LO and TK. Even though those are a pain for someone flying alone stuck in the window.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Recently flew Iberia's new transatlantic J seats (I think it's the A330-500). Wasn't expecting much. Found the seat surprisingly comfortable in lie-flat position. Softer than AA's, LH's, and LX's, and less confining than the DL One seat (which can feel a bit coffin-ish). SQ has a huge seat in transatlantic J, but it is very, very hard (I usually ask for an extra comforter to place under me to soften the bed). My husband did not like the shoulder restraint on IB (similar to a car seatbelt). I did not mind it. In any event, it can be disengaged and need only be worn during take-off and landing.
84fiero likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
For me, the cushion comfort (and pillow comfort) are more important than size or whether wide-open vs. more enclosed. As long as it's not crazy small and cramped, I actually kind of like the so-called "coffins"...I kinda feel cozy and snug inside them. But I can definitely understand some people feeling claustrophobic in them, too.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I think the most coffiny I've ever felt was Air Berlin.
BA feels like you are sleeping in the aisle.
LX apart from row 4/5 is a giant dorm like feeling.
Air Canada has dirty planes in general, and the old pods were tight

I've flown about 4 dozen different airlines in J, and especially flying as a couple, I still prefer the wide spacious 2 sets on airlines like LO and TK. Even though those are a pain for someone flying alone stuck in the window.
i’m almost exclusively a solo flyer and this style is actually my favourite as well- LA’s 787 or (even better) current “old” 767. Much more spacious and comfortable. I usually take a middle aisle on overnights and have never felt shy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.