The Entire Office Suddenly Started Talking About Award Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Entire Office Suddenly Started Talking About Award Travel

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
I love this thread and the stories of each of you. We started flying with AA decades ago and have earned and used millions of miles and although the game has changed we have no regrets and have seen and enjoyed the world to the best of our mileage ability . I didn't actually think about how much we traveled relative to others until the first thing people would ask me at work, wheret have you been recently or are you planning any trips. I don't talk about it at all now because I do realize that not everyone understands a Martin Luther King weekend in Qatar or Labor Day at the great wall and somehow as a discretionary expense to most people they make sonne unfounded assumptions about your bank account. It's just a priority for us there are other things we don't do. It's also interesting when people ask if there is any place you haven't been,and that list is long too, the world is wide . Otoh we travel and don't vacation so I have to think of a polite answer when someone asks for advice on Mexico or carribean resorts. It takes work it's a hobby it requires time and investment but we do it because we love it and it has value for us. It's a different equation for everyone. I learn every day from this forum of lik e minded people who want to share knowledge. Back to planning eastern Europe in October and the 15th annual down under and New Zealand via Asia in January starting with fireworks in Hong Kong for Chinese New Year and hearing from all of you.
kenlor likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by worldiswide
I love this thread and the stories of each of you. We started flying with AA decades ago and have earned and used millions of miles and although the game has changed we have no regrets and have seen and enjoyed the world to the best of our mileage ability . I didn't actually think about how much we traveled relative to others until the first thing people would ask me at work, wheret have you been recently or are you planning any trips. I don't talk about it at all now because I do realize that not everyone understands a Martin Luther King weekend in Qatar or Labor Day at the great wall and somehow as a discretionary expense to most people they make sonne unfounded assumptions about your bank account. It's just a priority for us there are other things we don't do. It's also interesting when people ask if there is any place you haven't been,and that list is long too, the world is wide . Otoh we travel and don't vacation so I have to think of a polite answer when someone asks for advice on Mexico or carribean resorts. It takes work it's a hobby it requires time and investment but we do it because we love it and it has value for us. It's a different equation for everyone. I learn every day from this forum of lik e minded people who want to share knowledge. Back to planning eastern Europe in October and the 15th annual down under and New Zealand via Asia in January starting with fireworks in Hong Kong for Chinese New Year and hearing from all of you.
+1,000,000

It's a mindset, lifestyle, anything you want it to be, etc. I love traveling (not vacationing) and feel the same as you.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:55 pm

Yeah I think this travel nerd stuff is normal because I look at it every day. I always forget that not everyone does..

I get really surprised when I hear people say booking a points flight is impossible or I dont travel enough for a points flight. I used to be that person until last year I had a booked flight on Qatar business payed in cash.

Once I payed for that flight thought it would be a good time to start collecting points on credit card sign ups.

When I share my passion and tips it seems as though Im giving too much info at one time haha. For allot its too much effort.

For me now Im more informed, so its not that difficult, but it was a steep learning curve to understand the basics of this part art/science.

I always loved flying so I guess that helps.

My biggest peeve is the person that goes I hate economy on a long flight blah.. business is too expensive. You present them with a solution via points purchase or credit card sign ups and they are like nah I will just tough it in economy. They get back from their trip and I ask how was your flight and they say Economy food was crap, seat was crap and the person next to me keepers touching elbows.
my reply usually is well you did pay $900 to go 17 hours in the air, that was not possible a few years back.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Hawes7701
Haha - totally agree.

My default view is dont talk unless asked....... unless I hear or see someone about to make a terrible mistake.

The other day a colleague of mine was logging in to his virgin flying club account whilst on the phone to them trying to book an economy flight. I was tempted to tell him to hang up and find a better use for his miles but had to remind myself that is none of my business.
He's a colleague. Make it your business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.