Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you stay hydrated on long haul flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche

One of the less comfortable feelings on longer flights is the dehydration. I tend to drink plenty (of water... post-meal anyway!) from onboard & drinks brought with me, but it never feels great. Curious what other travellers do to combat dehydration.

Also, does anyone know when the ice typically runs out? (Notice the 2nd meal services never have drinks served with ice). I wonder whether an iced drink might help?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It's not always water your body needs but electrolytes so on LH flights i put a couple of sachets of rehydration salts in my carry on.

I buy mine from superdrug (their own brand) though other pharmacies are available.
Mordac likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:56 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Drink plenty of water and stay away from excessive amounts of alcohol and coffee. I've never experienced a problem.
Sealink, HMPS and StartinSanDiego like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

After the meal I tend to avoid alcohol (having had champagne pd, some wine, and whisky after the coffee). For more hydration I would cut the alcohol and have more water or fruit juices but would not drink an entire bottle of water in one go). I often have a small snack with the drink ( ie chocolate or fruit

In the club world kitchen they have had a fruit dish which I have had sometimes had and is pretty good.

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Stick to water or herbal tea (hot or cold waters will hydrate you more or less equally one slightly faster than the other).
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm a 1950's born Glaswegian and rarely drink water.

Still alive and kicking.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:14 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'll just signpost this thread, since towards the end there was an interesting discussion on Sigg water bottles.

Would you like me to refill your water bottle?

I never drink alcohol, at my level of travel (and age) I doubt it is at all sensible.
armouredant likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by HIDDY

Still alive and kicking.
Hi,

How about the water of life??

Regards

TBS
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:21 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by HIDDY

Still alive and kicking.
Made in Scotland, from Girders

HIDDY and fotographer like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I sometimes get tempted to have a glass of wine, but generally I stick to water and soft drinks. There's not many things worse than waking up after a long haul flight with a hangover.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by World Traveller Fuss
One of the less comfortable feelings on longer flights is the dehydration. I tend to drink plenty (of water... post-meal anyway!) from onboard & drinks brought with me, but it never feels great. Curious what other travellers do to combat dehydration.

Also, does anyone know when the ice typically runs out? (Notice the 2nd meal services never have drinks served with ice). I wonder whether an iced drink might help?
I take an empty bottle to the airport (to get past security) and then refill it once I get air side. Sometimes I ask the crew for a cup of ice and then just fill it up from my bottle.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
It's not always water your body needs but electrolytes so on LH flights i put a couple of sachets of rehydration salts in my carry on.

I buy mine from superdrug (their own brand) though other pharmacies are available.
This is useful advice. Many people don't realise that too much water (especially when thirsty) can cause problems. I try to drink (water) at regular intervals before and while on board. This allows your body to stablise the electrolytes in the body.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Hydration starts 24-48hrs before your trip. If you are dehydrated when you get on the plane, you probably won't feel good during the flight. Assuming you are properly hydrated, this is a handy guide: https://lifehacker.com/how-to-keep-p...ght-1818728808
muji likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
a dry white.

kidding.

but agree with the post above--i generally drink loads of water daily (i dont care for coffee or tea or soft drinks in my day-to-day) so just load up with water the days ahead and on-board, yes i drink quite a bit of white wine but along with lots of water...generally ok. plus the wear of travel on the body with a long haul flight, im almost always able to sleep well at least the first night to SFO (for example) with the 8hr difference and wake up ok.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

How about the water of life??
Originally Posted by PETER01
Made in Scotland, from Girders

Joking aside.
It's always interesting to see just how much water some people on here have to drink when flying. In some cases it seems an awful lot to me but I guess we're all different. One thing I do eat a lot more of since coming to live here (32c today) is fresh fruit and salad. I do drink a lot of coffee and tea which might explain why I rarely drink water.
PETER01 and adrianlondon like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I have found cutting back on alcohol in the lounges and on the flights helps and so does a hydration tablet with 16 ounces of water at the beginning and end of the flight:
https://www.amazon.com/Nuun-Hydration-Electrolyte-Essential-Electrolytes/dp/B019GU4ILQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1V1KHUW0HX2NA&keywords=nuun+electrolyte+tablets&qid=1550461328&s=gateway&sprefix=nuun%2Caps%2C612&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/Nuun-Hydration-Electrolyte-Essential-Electrolytes/dp/B019GU4ILQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1V1KHUW0HX2NA&keywords=nuun+electrolyte+tablets&qid=1550461328&s=gateway&sprefix=nuun%2Caps%2C612&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.