Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would you like me to refill your water bottle?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Just flew LHR-KUL.

As usual crew distributed the small bottles of mineral water to be drunk in flight at the beginning of the journey. After sleeping for a few hours, I woke up feeling parched, finished my bottle and walked to the galley to dispose of the current bottle and to request a new one.

But the crew asked if she could fill it for me instead from a big bottle, as they no longer have small bottles on board. Really, BA - is this one of your enhancements?

And for what it’s worth, there was hardly anything left in the pantry - just a few leftover desserts from the earlier dinner service and some chocolate buttons. No more of the usual crisps, popcorn, fruit, etc.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I don't have a problem with BA reducing plastic waste like this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I wouldn't mind them refilling the water bottle, although the lack of snacks in the Club Kitchen seems a long running issue. From outports towards LHR you're lucky to get anything in the Club Kitchen Fridge
thebigben likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Club kitchen is always very weak on overnight flights. It is better on day flights. I frequently ask for my bottle to be refilled even when they have spares (unless my bottle is damaged etc which happens).
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
The practice of re-filling small bottles from a large one has concerned me after I saw it being done on a TG flight some years ago.

A new large bottle was opened and the lip of it was steadied against the lip of my bottle as the re-filling was done. I pointed out that any germs present on my bottle were being transferred to the larger bottle, then would be transferred onwards to other bottles etc. We have tended to crush our empty bottles ever since, to prevent them being refilled.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
The practice of re-filling small bottles from a large one has concerned me after I saw it being done on a TG flight some years ago.

A new large bottle was opened and the lip of it was steadied against the lip of my bottle as the re-filling was done. I pointed out that any germs present on my bottle were being transferred to the larger bottle, then would be transferred onwards to other bottles etc. We have tended to crush our empty bottles ever since, to prevent them being refilled.
Don't worry, you'll get tons more of germs on plenty of places in your aircraft.

If you transfer from a big bottle to a smaller one with a bit of care, I would say there won't be any physical contact between the area you're drinking from and the bottle that is used to refill. At least even my clumsy fingers manage that.

Personally I'm more adverse of using the hot water from the hot water tanks (but sometimes I'll still use it)
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I have other more pressing things to worry about than if someone occasionally touches bottles while refilling them. They might, yet, touch the bottle to my glass, horrors. It may not be ideal, but that large bottle is not being used to fill very many glasses or bottles, and in practice BA staff tend not to touch the containers when they pour.

I ask them to fill up my own water bottle quite often. I'm trying to use less single-use plastic in the world.

I'm just waiting for the cries of horror if your water bottle is refilled from the potable water tank.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: BAEC
Thankfully, there is a big push on the "war on waste" at the moment. If you NEED a new mini bottle, I'm sure the crew would get you some (there is only 1 loaded per J pax, the rest of the small bottles are for crew). Otherwise I don't see the problem saving some plastic and refilling the bottle you've already received. This is absolutely NOT cost cutting.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Just flew LHR-KUL.

As usual crew distributed the small bottles of mineral water to be drunk in flight at the beginning of the journey. After sleeping for a few hours, I woke up feeling parched, finished my bottle and walked to the galley to dispose of the current bottle and to request a new one.

But the crew asked if she could fill it for me instead from a big bottle, as they no longer have small bottles on board. Really, BA - is this one of your enhancements?

And for what it’s worth, there was hardly anything left in the pantry - just a few leftover desserts from the earlier dinner service and some chocolate buttons. No more of the usual crisps, popcorn, fruit, etc.
It’s been like this for a while
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
You can avoid transferring your germs to others (what have you got, that’s contagious?), by taking a reusable water bottle on the flight. They have a screw lid that can be refilled without touching the spout that goes into your mouth. They are £1 in the £1 shop. I’ve got about ten of them at home and always carry a clean one in my bag. If you don’t want to spread your lurgy round the flight, you can buy one. Also, it’s healthier than a highland spring bottle which is only designed for a single use.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Since we’ve got the obligatory reference to BA enhancements, I’ll just point out that not even QR seem to stick flights for indefinite distribution of individual bottles...
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:09 pm

I ask for my reusable Sigg bottle to be refilled. This bottle has circled the globe many times over the last couple of years. Absolutely no need whatsoever for additional plastic to be consumed.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Originally Posted by rossmacd
I ask for my reusable Sigg bottle to be refilled. This bottle has circled the globe many times over the last couple of years. Absolutely no need whatsoever for additional plastic to be consumed.
Spot on ^
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:21 pm

At the end of the day, there’s limited space onboard and we can’t have endless supplies of 500ml bottles for everyone. There does become a point that, on full flights, we may have to start refilling from a big bottle. It’s literally the same water - Highland Spring 1.5L vs. Highland Spring 500 ml (or Crystal Geyser), but you’ll be surprised how many people are bothered by this.
I recognise the germ argument, but at the end of the day if germs are something you’re truly concerned about then an aircraft isn’t the place for you.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar
Wow I had no idea that other people ask for their bottles to get filled up too. I usually get so(!) thirsty after all the Kir Royales. I usually go through about 2+ litres of water onboard most long hauls in J/F.

On my last flight I was in the upper deck 747 and the crew left a few small bottles on the ledge behind the stairs in front of 64A: proactive and brilliant service

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.