Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you stay hydrated on long haul flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you stay hydrated on long haul flights?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I always drinks a lot of water during the flights. It's extremely importance for me. I can bring Evian bottled water from concessions and I can bring my lunch bag, too.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:12 am
Suspended

I can't speak for others, but I tend to find that water works wonders.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
Lots of hydration in the days leading up to the flight. I try to walk the thin line between not enough water and too much, which causes too many trips to the often horrible plane bathroom. Hydration the two days before the flight works best for me. The worst is realizing on flight day that you haven't hydrated and you're an ounce of liquid away from having your face crack open. Then you hurry up and drink and wind up wearing a path between your seat and the bathroom! Also, hydrating on an empty stomach is not efficient, as the liquid tends to run through before it can be absorbed.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by akl_traveller
Drink electrolytes if you like the taste, but there's absolutely no physiological reason you need them on long haul flights. They only really gain advantages over plain water when you engage in sustained, high-intensity exercise.
Truth! Plus if you eat any of the food served on the plane, you will get plenty of salt which is the main ingredient in most hydration drinks and supplements.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Drink water
Avoid alcohol
Use a portable USB humidifier
Fly EK A380 in F and use the shower
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:56 am

Check top blogggers' tips

You know it was also my top question. The advice like drinking water is not always working. The things that work for me are a special message and diet before the flight. I got these tips from top travel bloggers as there are lots of women there who know about such periods when nothing works for you and dehydration just leads to unpleasant things( Hope to get other tips here.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:05 am
Suspended

If you can, fly the dreamliner. It has higher humidity. Sadly, the airlines, manufacturers and flyers have never demanded this type of technology on most of the new generation jets.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:49 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I know you're supposed to have water (and I do much of the time), but when Krug is on offer, I drink that :P
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:18 am

I have a camelback bottle I take with me and fill post security. I'll usually dump any leftover ice into it after drink service. A few times one of the FAs saw me and offered to fill it with more water and/or ice.

Originally Posted by ou81two
If you can, fly the dreamliner. It has higher humidity. Sadly, the airlines, manufacturers and flyers have never demanded this type of technology on most of the new generation jets.
While some wouldn't consider ORD_LHR long haul but I really noticed the difference comped to the short 90 minute flight I had to ORD.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
I drink electrolyte drinks like powerade or gatorade, my body can definitely tell the difference between that and water, especially if I eat a heavy meal. If I'm departing from a US airport, I'll buy 2-3 bottles after security. But otherwise I use Gatorade G2 in individual sticks of powder so I don't have to deal with scooping on the plane.

Sometimes in Asia I will buy the japanese Pocari sweat, this was the highlight of my visit to the JAL F lounge, taking a 1L bottle. onto the flight.

I also use nasal spray and sleep with a moist handtowel over my face.
Use a portable USB humidifier
considered doing this but is it allowed?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:41 am

Good question

You can't drink too much water for sure. I usually try to drink twice less than I usually drink, as my legs get really huge)
I just have a few sips of water every 30 minutes. Keeps me sane and hydrated for sure! Oh and no coffee!! Only some tea, but very little.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by ou81two
Higher humidity levels are prohibitive on all-aluminum aircraft due to potential corrosion issues.
That's the reason for super-dry air on all older non-composite air frames.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:59 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by unleashed
Higher humidity levels are prohibitive on all-aluminum aircraft due to potential corrosion issues.
That's the reason for super-dry air on all older non-composite air frames.
The 787 versus 747 and 777 was remarkable for me on the TPAC flights, I find my shorter 737 domestic to actually be harder on my body.

Drink and drink and if you ain't going to the restroom every two hours you ain't drinking enough, always amazed me how many I see that don't seem to move out of seat more than once in 12-14 hours and not surprised they feel terrible from the long flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.