Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's with the bathroom design in these hotels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

This is just a rant.
Maybe I am alone in this, but I much prefer my bathroom to be a private space.
I don't want any sights, sounds, or smells emanating from it. If I am traveling with a partner, nothing I will do in there will contribute to the romantic mood.
I want my bathroom to have a door like a bank vault, not a Parisian cafe.
Am I that unusual?
Hotel room designers seem to think so.
Just got back from another trip where most bathrooms made everything being done in there fully audible to the traveling companion.
Some had an added benefit of frosted glass walls - for privacy, I guess!

Is there anyone who likes sliding bathroom doors that leave a inch-wide gap when "closed", don't reach all the way to floor and ceiling, see through and hear-through walls that don't hide anything? Am I alone in having to turn on every water faucet in the bathroom so I can conduct my business without alarming my travel partner??

Last edited by stevento; Jan 5, 2019 at 3:41 pm
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:24 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

As this is not specific to Luxury Hotels I am moving your thread to TravelBuzz
Please follow there
Thanks....
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels and Travel
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Agreed. Can I also add wet rooms to your list of stupid designs?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:34 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Totally agree!!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Not that it will you make feel better, but doors are undercut by mechanical code to allow some air transfer even with the door shut. Look around your house, all bedroom doors and bathroom doors are this way. You can do transfer grills instead, but that adds cost. But neither my wife nor I could care less. Traveling with a work companion sucks though if in the same room.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:56 pm

Traveling alone so it didn’t matter that the bottom half of the bathroom door was frosted glass, but the top was clear!! I would not have been happy if someone had been with me. I agree, it’s supposed to be chic and modern. NOT!
FlyerEC, Jeannietx and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Beyond anti-privacy designs, my pet peeves are bathrooms with awkwardly-placed toilet paper dispensers and those that don't have any hooks or towel rods. Some opt for just shelves.

Just give me at least one hook somewhere so I can hang up my toiletry bag!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:12 am

Just wonder... Why bathroom?
There are a lot of things in hotels which are not as comfortable as at home.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
A favourite of mine was hotel in Jakarta and a suite was a huge square room with a huge hot tub in one corner, a toilet in the other corner next to a shower but without a door at all and a vanity in the middle. Any door would of been better than no door like this one.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
One of my favorite hotel designs was at a Holiday Inn Express (of all places) in the UK. One door to the bathroom but the toilet was enclosed and separated with a second door from the shower and sink. Eminently sensible lay-out.
not2017, Jeannietx, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Badenoch
One of my favorite hotel designs was at a Holiday Inn Express (of all places) in the UK. One door to the bathroom but the toilet was enclosed and separated with a second door from the shower and sink. Eminently sensible lay-out.
I know the precise layout you mean - both my wife and I managed to jam our fingers/thumb between the door and wall!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: LH M+M
also UK where it is ONE door that either closes the toilet cabin OR the whole bathroom :-)
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Some parts of Europe, residential designs have toilets complete separate from the bathroom.

I also like that in most of Europe, commercial buildings have fully sealed toilet stalls
MSPeconomist and florens like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:59 am

I have seen several hotels recently with the sliding "barn door" which serves as a door for the closet *and* the bathroom - but not at the same time. My wife got a little annoyed one time when I was coming out of the bathroom after a shower just as she was stepping into the closet to stow a few things in the room safe - I accidentally whacked her with the door when I opened it to exit the bathroom....
ijkh, cloudsuck, florin and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Fully agree! It's what happens when style takes precedence over functionality (though often it's not even that stylishly implemented either).
KRSW likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.