Salary & business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Salary & business class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by deniah
There's also many more people who also need to get from A to B, who can't reasonably outlay (not splurge) the cash for J, who will and do suffer in Y.
If we're talking broadly we need to look at the significant population, not the cherry-picked outliers. Years ago I occasionally found my younger self riding in the front via mileage upgrades, but I wouldnt say mine was the representative case in that cabin.
If you look at the entire population of middle income earners, a few will be sitting in J, and yes they are outliers.
But, if you look at the entire population of travelers in J cabin, a lot are middle income earners, and no they are not outliers.
That's where we disagree, in my opinion.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:22 pm
BLT

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Gold,
I'm retired and fly internationally three or maybe four times a year. I always fly business in lay flat seats. It makes my trip more enjoyable and eliminates jet lag since I get to sleep six or seven hours and wake up ready to go. I look for the least expensive gateway city and then fly there from MSP on a separate ticket since Delta charges thousands more to fly from MSP on one ticket. I'm not rich but this is my one extravagance. I rarely pay more than $3500 even when I travel to Asia or Australia.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by joejones
One time, a partner at a big Bay Area law firm -- someone who likely made well over $1 million a year -- told me he had to fly from SFO to SYD in economy for a business trip.
He "had to" fly in economy?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by enviroian
Was he going to band camp in Sydney?

We have some amazing band camps here.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by civicDuty
In my line of work, flying business is considered by many to be poor form. I’m in science, and specifically in a field where most people know climate science, and the carbon footprint of premium class is something many take seriously.

That said, I am not unusual as a scientist and research prof in making about 20 RT trips a year, on average four transoceanic. I just got tenure and plan to cut way back. There’s generally a move to do this in the field.

On top of the carbon, much of my research is taxpayer-funded, so we’re generally forbidden from flying premium.

I make over $200k/year but just don’t see the point of throwing money into premium
when it can go to so many better things. It is awful to arrive tired and jet lagged and then give talks and go to meetings, but it is something I’m now practiced in. I probably should learn better how to upgrade cheaply, if possible—I don’t have an assistant and get overwhelmed with all the travel.

Strangely the only time I flew business was when I was a postdoc and the WHO was inviting me over. My science is now better but next week I’m flying 15 h in coach to Asia.
The plane doesn't burn more fuel because there are people sitting in premium seats up front.

If you want to reduce your carbon footprint, take the bus or train to/from the airport instead of a taxi.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
One time, a partner at a big Bay Area law firm -- someone who likely made well over $1 million a year -- told me he had to fly from SFO to SYD in economy for a business trip.
Oh the horror.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:25 pm
Suspended

maybe he made nothing that year. Law firms go broke just like airlines, many of which are going under in Europe right now.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:30 pm
Suspended

you can fly from Brisbane(BNE) or Sydney(SYD) to LAX or San Fran return from about AUD$800 return in low season. (that's roughly USD$600)

From Fiji Airways thread ...

you can bid on upgrades sector by sector.

Flights BNE or SYD to Fiji are just on 3 hours & if connecting with flight to LAX or SFO are in daylight hours.

The long haul Fiji to LAX or SFO around 9-10 hours is overnight. On top of AUD$800 return fare the minimum bid is around AUD$865 (around USD$648), if your bid is successful, so for a grand total of AUD$1665 or USD$1248, you can fly the short haul Australia to Fiji in economy & one of the sectors Fiji to West Coast USA or vice versa. These prices are within the reach of almost anyone. Catch is, the more that know about the bidding for upgrades, the higher the bid will need to be to be successful.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by civicDuty
I make over $200k/year but just don’t see the point of throwing money into premium
when it can go to so many better things. It is awful to arrive tired and jet lagged and then give talks and go to meetings, but it is something I’m now practiced in. I probably should learn better how to upgrade cheaply, if possible—I don’t have an assistant and get overwhelmed with all the travel.
That´s a question how valueable it is for you and what are your priorities. What´s throwing away money and what is a better way to spend it is very subjective. For one paying 5000 € for a F-seat ist wasted money while another "can´t understand" how someone can fly in a commercial plane. Someone who wears a Brioni suit will probably have another opinion as someone who things he bought an expensive Armani suit or even someone who buys his suits at H&M. Is an Aman worth the premium to a Hilton? Is the car worth its price?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
maybe he made nothing that year. Law firms go broke just like airlines, many of which are going under in Europe right now.
Even if a major Bay Area law firm goes under, most of the partners in such a major business center office for such law firm will have done way better financially than the average resident in the area or anywhere else in the country. This became rather clear even after the dot-com bust.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:53 pm
Suspended

To me it's not a question of $ value so much as % of income. Most people would pay 500 dollars for a F seat because that's generally cheap for the market, 500 dollars is 1% of your 50k income and that's not terribly significant. If you make 100k, then a 1000 ticket is the same value to you as 500 is to a 50k person...1%. Or should be. Then it only comes down to what, subjectively, a persons needs and tastes are.

Some would be hugely offended at spending 1000 for a seat and seek the cheapest fares. Others have no problem and see it as a small price to pay for a more comfortable experience.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I suspect he meant his law firm only pays for coach, no matter where you are going. My consulting firm is the same. It doesn’t mean you cannot upgrade, it means that if that is what you want, they think you are highly paid and can do that at your expense. Now, along with that, I can book my own flights, and I will look for upgrade space, discount J, take connections and do whatever it takes to avoid long haul economy. And I don’t think I have ever paid more than $2.75 K or so RT. I have had too many bad experiences in long haul economy. If occasionally paying an extra 1K means I can keep doing international work without it being absolutely miserable, it is worth it.
catcher1 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:50 pm
Suspended

My company allows full fare business class flights over 10 hours followed by a 24 hour rest period, and rightly so. They recognize the value in having their employees arrive in a less ragged state. It's a small price to pay for making sure our international business goes as smoothly as possible.

I hate how reverse snobbery is making it into the corporate world, and that it's poor form to travel in anything above premium economy.
polyesther likes this.

Last edited by Proudelitist; Dec 4, 2018 at 4:21 pm
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by catcher1
He "had to" fly in economy?
After the 2008 financial meltdown I was on a shuttle flight from DC to LGA and treated to hearing one of our masters of the universe, I seem to remember it was someone from GS, complain that they were all told they had to fly in coach for appearances. Suspect that is long gone.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

some of us are crazy and spend crazy amounts (vs income/worth - if you have it in bank, not debt) but why not.. cant take it with you, not everyone has kids etc

almost everyone on FT spends above average on travel, even if doing awards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.