FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Salary & business class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1940890-salary-business-class.html)

Slussen Nov 16, 2018 9:54 am

Salary & business class

Hi,

I'm just wondering how much those who take business class (for both paid travel or personal travel) make per year.

I know it's a little personal so I will start myself: I take business class about 80% of my flights and I make about $75 000. Business class is not cheap for me but I like to spend money on my travel comforts.

Thanks!

offerendum Nov 16, 2018 10:03 am

Nothing in common with luxury hotels. Personal I try to avoid flying Business on longer flights. When it comes to hotels there are statistics how much people in average make per year. I doubt this figures are accurate as I would never tell a hotel my income.

obscure2k Nov 16, 2018 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Slussen (Post 30436341)
Hi,

I'm just wondering how much those who take business class (for both paid travel or personal travel) make per year.

I know it's a little personal so I will start myself: I take business class about 80% of my flights and I make about $75 000. Business class is not cheap for me but I like to spend money on my travel comforts.

Thanks!

Welcome to Flyertalk Slussen. As the focus of this Forum is primarily a discussion of Luxury hotels and Travel, I am moving your thread to the TravelBuzz Forum

Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels and Travel

Slussen Nov 16, 2018 10:13 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 30436378)
Nothing in common with luxury hotels. Personal I try to avoid flying Business on longer flights. When it comes to hotels there are statistics how much people in average make per year. I doubt this figures are accurate as I would never tell a hotel my income.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't too sure where to post this thread but thought it could be in the travel section of "Luxury Hotels and travel".

MikeFromTokyo Nov 16, 2018 11:10 am

I prefer F on any long haul flight that offers it. Business class is adequate for short and medium haul. Newer J products are okay for long haul if F is not available or cost prohibitive, but I really find it less comfortable. I like a truely flat bed, ample space, and not having my feet in a “foot well” recess behind someone else’s seat. Also, the crew to pax ratio is always better in F.

I also would never disclose income information. But there must be statistics somewhere if you search for them.

I haven’t been in Economy for over a decade on any flight that offers a premium cabin.

Slussen Nov 16, 2018 11:22 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 30436637)
I prefer F on any long haul flight that offers it. Business class is adequate for short and medium haul. Newer J products are okay for long haul if F is not available or cost prohibitive, but I really find it less comfortable. I like a truely flat bed, ample space, and not having my feet in a “foot well” recess behind someone else’s seat. Also, the crew to pax ratio is always better in F.

I also would never disclose income information. But there must be statistics somewhere if you search for them.

I haven’t been in Economy for over a decade on any flight that offers a premium cabin.

Thanks for the reply. I just can't find any statistics relating income and airline class.

GUWonder Nov 16, 2018 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Slussen (Post 30436677)
Thanks for the reply. I just can't find any statistics relating income and airline class.

The income of those flying business class is all over the place. Keep in mind the following: there are people flying in premium cabins for work-paid trips where the income of the workers may not be all that high but work conditions are such that they fly business class; there are those using airline employee-related benefits to fly in premium cabins; there are people flying in premium cabins using frequent flyer points/miles; there are those who are upgraded for reasons of irregular operations; that there are those traveling on other people's money for even leisure trips; and there are those flying on discounted premium cabin fares of some sort or another.

Luxury hotels seem to have tighter socio-economic demographic profiles than scheduled common carriers' premium cabins.

erik123 Nov 16, 2018 12:37 pm

It's a nonsensical question with many possible answers. Why would you want to know?

Slussen Nov 16, 2018 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by erik123 (Post 30436939)
It's a nonsensical question with many possible answers. Why would you want to know?

I just wanted to make personal statistics here but nobody actually wants to tell his income. I do know people use points and miles and companies pay business class. Regardless of that, I just simply wanted to have many of "I take business all the time and my income is $100 000 a year" kind of answers but it seems impossible.

Slussen Nov 16, 2018 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 30436886)
The income of those flying business class is all over the place. Keep in mind the following: there are people flying in premium cabins for work-paid trips where the income of the workers may not be all that high but work conditions are such that they fly business class; there are those using airline employee-related benefits to fly in premium cabins; there are people flying in premium cabins using frequent flyer points/miles; there are those who are upgraded for reasons of irregular operations; that there are those traveling on other people's money for even leisure trips; and there are those flying on discounted premium cabin fares of some sort or another.

Luxury hotels seem to have tighter socio-economic demographic profiles than scheduled common carriers' premium cabins.

All over the place where? I can't find any statistics. Could you please give me a link? and yes I do keep in my mind that premium cabins are often work paid, miles and upgrades etc. I just wanted to have simple statistics and know how much business class passagers make.

Without considering work paid, miles, upgrades etc (that's why I wrote "for both paid travel or personal travel" on my original post), I just believe people making $100k have more chance to be found in business cabin than those who make $15k.

I know I couldn't make my question clear. Sorry about that.

onetess Nov 16, 2018 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by erik123 (Post 30436939)

Erik don't be so ornery. What if the OP is a newly-minted college grad? What if the OP is your kid? Treat him or her the way you would treat your employees - unless that's how you treat your employees.

Yachtman Nov 16, 2018 1:54 pm

In my twenties I worked for employers who flew me business class consistently, I was only earning $80-$100k. Now in my early 30s and earning significantly more but employer mandates economy class when travelling for work, that said I travel significantly less and rarely/never overseas.

Would I pay to fly business class? Well I have done on occasions where I’ve felt it necessary or I’ve used points to upgrade. However with a wife, 2 kids, mortgage etc then there are priorities with spending money. A business class round trip could be equivalent to three economy class trips. We now live in Australia but am from the UK and having flown so much have vowed that any trips to the UK/Europe will either be in business or with 1/2 stopovers in each direction for a few days to make it more palatable.

bitterproffit Nov 16, 2018 2:01 pm

I am a HS teacher, I earn quite a bit less than you. I take 2-3 international trips per year and fly business class and try to stay in nice mid ranged hotels on each. I save my money, control my spending and debt, and leverage the AMAZING information that I have gleaned from Flyertalk to take trips that I only dreamed I could take.

I focus on controlling the hotel costs by earning points and paying with points whenever possible.

I haven't taken a Biz Class flight using miles, but I have used my airline miles to reposition to another airport with significantly cheaper biz class fares (another tip I learned from Flyertalk).

Welcome to Flyertalk, this is an amazing resource with extremely savvy and helpful members.

steveo Nov 16, 2018 2:15 pm

My old employer used to fly me around the world up in business class in my mid twenties, and mainly annoyed all the old geezers up there with my presence :)

Now if the price is right I'll go for it. Flew from PEK-ORD recently and got a sub $2000 seat. Made it a very easy decision for me. But I don't ever see spending $7000 plus for a ticket no matter how long the flight is. I suppose I am a price sensitive customer. Of course most of my long haul personal travel is on points, and that changes the equation.

Restil Nov 16, 2018 2:38 pm

About the same income for me, but I'm able to accrue enough miles through credit card spending and other means such that I've never paid for a business class seat, beyond the $5.60 for taxes, and the occasional fuel surcharge. I only take about a half dozen flights a year though, so I'm able to earn enough to make that happen.

I wouldn't pay full price for it though. I'd rather drive at that point (or just not go)