Salary & business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Salary & business class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
My employer (rather our clients) paid for business class when I started. Back then I was making $150k. I've been able to advance my career substantially since then, which has come with generous pay increases, and now also travel in F. For personal travel I will usually take J at a minimum.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:23 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by pinniped
We still have kids at home, so we aren't buying 5xJ/F to go anywhere. My wife and I occasionally take trips by ourselves in J/F, sometimes paid (if it's a great deal) but more often with miles.

I don't see why I'd buy a lot of J with my own money when I can so keenly demonstrate my command of gaming miles and points. (That really should be our motto!! )
Exactly! I had a friend who used to say "Any one can walk in and spend a lot of money, it takes skill to find a bargain." My skill lies in very good command of my finances, which are based on a moderate, self employed income. I also have a fairly high comfort level when it comes to "gaming." This allows us to earn miles. For us, it's miles all the way. We simply don't have the income for such expenses, nor the inclination to spend on such as short term splurge. We have kids in college and plenty of other draws on our capital.
polyesther likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I fly about half my flights in premium cabins (mix of upgrades and paid F/J) and I make about $200,000.
polyesther likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I fly about half my flights in premium cabins (mix of upgrades and paid F/J) and I make about $200,000.
Clearly not a Bay Area resident!
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:32 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
I make around 200k. For personal travel I fly paid F/J around 1/3 the time, usually for flights over 5 hours like trans cons or international.

It’s certainly a luxury. But travel is something I care about and am willing to spend extra money on. My annual travel budget is around 15k. I’m tall and despise flying, so splurging on inflight comfort greatly increases my overall trip experience. Instead of dreading the start/end of a trip, I look forward to it.

Feels worth it to me.
polyesther likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Are there not other factors than salary?

Lets forget OPM flying for a minute, since even someone making 30k can be upfront for their next shower rod sales meetings if OPM pays for it.

As for personal travel,
One may make 200k - and have bills coming out of your ... - mortgages, car payments, kids tuition, etc. Vacation time is like 2 weeks a year, making "splurging" on a big seat in a tube more likely if its once per year.
Or you may make 100k - and youre all paid off, have minimal bills, no kids, and 4+ months of vacation. taking multiple trips a year.

Or you may be dual income in either situation above.

Since when does salary = disposable income?
enviroian and polyesther like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:14 am

Programs: Too many to list
I think the question should be is you are single, how many kids go to college etc. 75K would not do me any good these days.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Who in their right mind would disclose their income on here? It's pretty high schoolish and bordering on being in the same league as a the tool who has three EXP tags on their roller. No one cares about your income folks, no need to brag.

Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by enviroian
Who in their right mind would disclose their income on here? It's pretty high schoolish and bordering on being in the same league as a the tool who has three EXP tags on their roller. No one cares about your income folks, no need to brag.

n
I collect unemployment regularly on an annual basis, furnish my wardrobe at Goodwill Industries and travel internationally twice a year (TATL & TPAC) using miles and points. I do this on 30K a year, in case anyone is interested. And have enough to get wasted most every weekend with wine, women and song. I spend the rest of my money foolishly.

Thinking about starting a Go Fund Me page to finance additional travel.

Last edited by rbwpi; Nov 26, 2018 at 4:33 pm
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by enviroian

because it was asked on the first post. in some countries, its less taboo. in other countries, the data is actually exposed.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by rankourabu

Lets forget OPM flying for a minute, since even someone making 30k can be upfront for their next shower rod sales meetings if OPM pays for it.

As for personal travel,
One may make 200k - and have bills coming out of your ... - mortgages, car payments, kids tuition, etc. Vacation time is like 2 weeks a year, making "splurging" on a big seat in a tube more likely if its once per year.
Or you may make 100k - and youre all paid off, have minimal bills, no kids, and 4+ months of vacation. taking multiple trips a year.

Exactly. My husband earns double what I do and I have way more disposable income than him. My best friend earns 5 times my wage and to him luxury means a night or two in a 3.5 to 4 star hotel.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I earn nothing

..... buy tickets out of my own pocket ....and always fly F or J. Not everyone has conventional income. But you can always spot those who don't buy their own tickets.....
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by kajagoogoo88
But you can always spot those who don't buy their own tickets.....
Not so sure about it
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:02 am

Another reason not to fly

In my line of work, flying business is considered by many to be poor form. I’m in science, and specifically in a field where most people know climate science, and the carbon footprint of premium class is something many take seriously.

That said, I am not unusual as a scientist and research prof in making about 20 RT trips a year, on average four transoceanic. I just got tenure and plan to cut way back. There’s generally a move to do this in the field.

On top of the carbon, much of my research is taxpayer-funded, so we’re generally forbidden from flying premium.

I make over $200k/year but just don’t see the point of throwing money into premium
when it can go to so many better things. It is awful to arrive tired and jet lagged and then give talks and go to meetings, but it is something I’m now practiced in. I probably should learn better how to upgrade cheaply, if possible—I don’t have an assistant and get overwhelmed with all the travel.

Strangely the only time I flew business was when I was a postdoc and the WHO was inviting me over. My science is now better but next week I’m flying 15 h in coach to Asia.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu

As for personal travel,

+1,000,000

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.