Search

From the news: dog ate passport, couple's honeymoon ruined

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:34 am
Original Poster

From the news: dog ate passport, couple's honeymoon ruined

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/coupl...chews-passport

Without knowing 100% the full details, I'd have to say:

1) I would think that if the "puppy" chewed the passport and its' now 4 years old that would leave enough time to get a replacement passport?
2) Not sure if Travel Insurance would cover that eventuality? (Maybe only if you get a "cancel for any reason"?)
3) A go fund me?

Let's discuss (Barbara Streisand, her legs are like butta)--LOL
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Yeah, it seems like in the few years since it was chewed on, he would have had it replaced. It's not some nitpicky little thing but some pretty obvious damage. I guess maybe he forgot about it until the day of departure? Still, I would've tried to get an emergency replacement. Assuming the reported UK Border Force's statement to the man is accurate, I can understand an inexperienced traveler thinking that should settle it, but the Border Force official should know better than to make such a broad assertion about what another country's officials might think (again, assuming accuracy as reported). Still up to the traveler to be responsible for his documents...lesson learned, keep passports, etc in safe places and if something happens to it, get a replacement well before you need it.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:35 am

Wow, they have the nerve to set-up a crowdfunding campaign to cover their own incompetence? The dog chewed it FOUR YEARS AGO. I think they might have found 15 minutes in that time to fill out paperwork and get a new one. Ridiculous.
oh_lol, Redhead, ilcannone and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
Wow, they have the nerve to set-up a crowdfunding campaign to cover their own incompetence? The dog chewed it FOUR YEARS AGO. I think they might have found 15 minutes in that time to fill out paperwork and get a new one. Ridiculous.
No. You are all looking at this the wrong way. The dog saved their lives. Had the dog not chewed the passport, the couple would have likely fallen over a cliff taking selfies during their honeymoon trip.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:44 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I really hate how any personal problem becomes a GOFUNDME campaign these days.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Looking at the GFM page, dude should take that money and get his teeth fixed. That would seem to me to be more important than a £7k vacation to Bali.
rbwpi and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by wharvey
worse, how they morph into clickbait ... and worse yet, how clickbait jumps across platforms
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Finkface
dude should take that money and get his teeth fixed
<cough>British<cough>
trooper and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:48 pm

“This whole experience has been absolutely traumatic for the both of them and they do not deserve this to happen to either of them,” the sister said.

Traumatic? Oh the humanity.

Not deserve this? Oh the stupidity. This was the result of their own action - or inaction. Take some damn responsibility.

We suppose we should be grateful they weren't also offended.
ilcannone, wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
The ones needed because they had no travel insurance annoy me.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like they experienced an Immigration agent looking for a reason to mess with them. Maybe he doesn't like Brits partying in his nation. And since immigration is given "discretionary" power....
This is something I believe recent visitors to both Britain and the US have experienced as well, depending on their nation of origin.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
<cough>British<cough>
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
“This whole experience has been absolutely traumatic for the both of them and they do not deserve this to happen to either of them,” the sister said.

Traumatic? Oh the humanity.

Not deserve this? Oh the stupidity. This was the result of their own action - or inaction. Take some damn responsibility.

We suppose we should be grateful they weren't also offended.
Couldn't agree more on all this. All my thoughts after reading that summed up in 4 succinct posts!

Although let's be honest, this WAS reported by The MIRROR - a pile of garbage for a media outlet in the UK who will sensationalise ANYTHING to get a reaction out of people. So this should hardly be of a surprise to anyone.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
The ones needed because they had no travel insurance annoy me.
What's interesting, is that I'm pretty sure the first time I read the article, travel insurance wasn't mentioned.
But then later, I think their friend is quoted as saying something like "and the insurance won't cover this".

Which actually leads me to the insurance questions:

Let's say you *did* buy Travel Insurance:
1) Would a destroyed/damaged passport in "short-term" (ie, like 30 days or less before you have to travel) be covered?
2) Would ANY destroyed/damaged passport situation be covered (regardless)?
3) If so, would you need certain coverage (Cancel for Any Reason vs. say: Comprehensive)?

I no longer have my doggie anymore, so I don't have to worry about that. Although my sister apparently threw out all their passports when they moved into their new house (or rather I should say they were never found), and had to get expedited replacements, and the plane tickets went up like $200 each by the time they arrived (they were flying Frontier and you needed the passport info to even book). LOL!

Last edited by hurnik; Nov 1, 2018 at 1:51 pm
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: none
If only we had the affected travelers posting here that "someone" (airline, passport authority, insurance company, etc.) was unfair to them, causing this unpleasantness. Then we would have someone on FT replying in sympathy to them, then someone else posting that a similar thing happened to them, only it was WORSE.

As for all this "crowdfunding" nonsense, let's eliminate all this internet and registration business. I could use the money for my next trip. Just PM me and I'll send my direct address so you can mail good old American cash.
84fiero, hurnik and ilcannone like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by hurnik
What's interesting, is that I'm pretty sure the first time I read the article, travel insurance wasn't mentioned.
But then later, I think their friend is quoted as saying something like "and the insurance won't cover this".

Which actually leads me to the insurance questions:

Let's say you *did* buy Travel Insurance:
1) Would a destroyed/damaged passport in "short-term" (ie, like 30 days or less before you have to travel) be covered?
2) Would ANY destroyed/damaged passport situation be covered (regardless)?
3) If so, would you need certain coverage (Cancel for Any Reason vs. say: Comprehensive)?

I no longer have my doggie anymore, so I don't have to worry about that. Although my sister apparently threw out all their passports when they moved into their new house (or rather I should say they were never found), and had to get expedited replacements, and the plane tickets went up like $200 each by the time they arrived (they were flying Frontier and you needed the passport info to even book). LOL!
Off topic, but I've yet to see any airline require passport info at booking. I'm thinking your sister was confused, not unlike majority of the once a year travelers that think they know everything.

To the people so severely traumatized by waitling 4 years to replace a damaged passport, it sucks to be you for being so beyond stupid.
windscar and ilcannone like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.