FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   From the news: dog ate passport, couple's honeymoon ruined (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1938260-news-dog-ate-passport-couples-honeymoon-ruined.html)

hurnik Oct 31, 2018 8:34 am

From the news: dog ate passport, couple's honeymoon ruined

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/coupl...chews-passport

Without knowing 100% the full details, I'd have to say:

1) I would think that if the "puppy" chewed the passport and its' now 4 years old that would leave enough time to get a replacement passport?
2) Not sure if Travel Insurance would cover that eventuality? (Maybe only if you get a "cancel for any reason"?)
3) A go fund me?

Let's discuss (Barbara Streisand, her legs are like butta)--LOL

84fiero Oct 31, 2018 8:49 am

Yeah, it seems like in the few years since it was chewed on, he would have had it replaced. It's not some nitpicky little thing but some pretty obvious damage. I guess maybe he forgot about it until the day of departure? Still, I would've tried to get an emergency replacement. Assuming the reported UK Border Force's statement to the man is accurate, I can understand an inexperienced traveler thinking that should settle it, but the Border Force official should know better than to make such a broad assertion about what another country's officials might think (again, assuming accuracy as reported). Still up to the traveler to be responsible for his documents...lesson learned, keep passports, etc in safe places and if something happens to it, get a replacement well before you need it.

DutchessPDX Oct 31, 2018 9:35 am

Wow, they have the nerve to set-up a crowdfunding campaign to cover their own incompetence? The dog chewed it FOUR YEARS AGO. I think they might have found 15 minutes in that time to fill out paperwork and get a new one. Ridiculous.

Eastbay1K Oct 31, 2018 9:57 am

Originally Posted by DutchessPDX (Post 30377167)
Wow, they have the nerve to set-up a crowdfunding campaign to cover their own incompetence? The dog chewed it FOUR YEARS AGO. I think they might have found 15 minutes in that time to fill out paperwork and get a new one. Ridiculous.

No. You are all looking at this the wrong way. The dog saved their lives. Had the dog not chewed the passport, the couple would have likely fallen over a cliff taking selfies during their honeymoon trip.

wharvey Oct 31, 2018 3:44 pm

I really hate how any personal problem becomes a GOFUNDME campaign these days.

Finkface Oct 31, 2018 3:49 pm

Looking at the GFM page, dude should take that money and get his teeth fixed. That would seem to me to be more important than a £7k vacation to Bali.

jrl767 Oct 31, 2018 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey (Post 30378645)

worse, how they morph into clickbait ... and worse yet, how clickbait jumps across platforms

kennycrudup Oct 31, 2018 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 30378664)
dude should take that money and get his teeth fixed

<cough>British<cough>

DragonSoul Oct 31, 2018 9:48 pm

“This whole experience has been absolutely traumatic for the both of them and they do not deserve this to happen to either of them,” the sister said.

Traumatic? Oh the humanity. :rolleyes:

Not deserve this? Oh the stupidity. This was the result of their own action - or inaction. Take some damn responsibility.

We suppose we should be grateful they weren't also offended.

Annalisa12 Oct 31, 2018 10:03 pm

The ones needed because they had no travel insurance annoy me.

rickg523 Oct 31, 2018 10:06 pm

Sounds like they experienced an Immigration agent looking for a reason to mess with them. Maybe he doesn't like Brits partying in his nation. And since immigration is given "discretionary" power....
This is something I believe recent visitors to both Britain and the US have experienced as well, depending on their nation of origin.

ilcannone Nov 1, 2018 12:37 am

Originally Posted by DutchessPDX (Post 30377167)

Originally Posted by kennycrudup (Post 30379017)
<cough>British<cough>

Originally Posted by DragonSoul (Post 30379485)
“This whole experience has been absolutely traumatic for the both of them and they do not deserve this to happen to either of them,” the sister said.

Traumatic? Oh the humanity. :rolleyes:

Not deserve this? Oh the stupidity. This was the result of their own action - or inaction. Take some damn responsibility.

We suppose we should be grateful they weren't also offended.

Couldn't agree more on all this. All my thoughts after reading that summed up in 4 succinct posts!

Although let's be honest, this WAS reported by The MIRROR - a pile of garbage for a media outlet in the UK who will sensationalise ANYTHING to get a reaction out of people. So this should hardly be of a surprise to anyone.

hurnik Nov 1, 2018 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 (Post 30379519)
The ones needed because they had no travel insurance annoy me.

What's interesting, is that I'm pretty sure the first time I read the article, travel insurance wasn't mentioned.
But then later, I think their friend is quoted as saying something like "and the insurance won't cover this".

Which actually leads me to the insurance questions:

Let's say you *did* buy Travel Insurance:
1) Would a destroyed/damaged passport in "short-term" (ie, like 30 days or less before you have to travel) be covered?
2) Would ANY destroyed/damaged passport situation be covered (regardless)?
3) If so, would you need certain coverage (Cancel for Any Reason vs. say: Comprehensive)?

I no longer have my doggie anymore, so I don't have to worry about that. Although my sister apparently threw out all their passports when they moved into their new house (or rather I should say they were never found), and had to get expedited replacements, and the plane tickets went up like $200 each by the time they arrived (they were flying Frontier and you needed the passport info to even book). LOL!

Allan38103 Nov 1, 2018 1:37 pm

If only we had the affected travelers posting here that "someone" (airline, passport authority, insurance company, etc.) was unfair to them, causing this unpleasantness. Then we would have someone on FT replying in sympathy to them, then someone else posting that a similar thing happened to them, only it was WORSE.

As for all this "crowdfunding" nonsense, let's eliminate all this internet and registration business. I could use the money for my next trip. Just PM me and I'll send my direct address so you can mail good old American cash.

COSPILOT Nov 1, 2018 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by hurnik (Post 30381891)
What's interesting, is that I'm pretty sure the first time I read the article, travel insurance wasn't mentioned.
But then later, I think their friend is quoted as saying something like "and the insurance won't cover this".

Which actually leads me to the insurance questions:

Let's say you *did* buy Travel Insurance:
1) Would a destroyed/damaged passport in "short-term" (ie, like 30 days or less before you have to travel) be covered?
2) Would ANY destroyed/damaged passport situation be covered (regardless)?
3) If so, would you need certain coverage (Cancel for Any Reason vs. say: Comprehensive)?

I no longer have my doggie anymore, so I don't have to worry about that. Although my sister apparently threw out all their passports when they moved into their new house (or rather I should say they were never found), and had to get expedited replacements, and the plane tickets went up like $200 each by the time they arrived (they were flying Frontier and you needed the passport info to even book). LOL!

Off topic, but I've yet to see any airline require passport info at booking. I'm thinking your sister was confused, not unlike majority of the once a year travelers that think they know everything.

To the people so severely traumatized by waitling 4 years to replace a damaged passport, it sucks to be you for being so beyond stupid.