Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is your flying motto?

What is your flying motto?

Old Sep 10, 18, 5:57 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 25
What is your flying motto?

I'm a firm believer in personal mottos. The ancient Stoics of Athens felt that a good motto well remembered and recited could help you in moments of great stress or panic. Well how relevant is that to this crazy world of aviation we love so much?

As I straddle the ever narrowing gap between military and civil aviation, focusing on the niche world of aviation meteorology, my personal motto is 'Your poor planning is NOT my emergency'. A motto I feel could apply to 90% of issues raised here, I'm sure the FAs will enjoy that one. So my fellow flyertalkees, what is your personal flying motto?
GavinMansfield is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 7:19 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: on the path to perdition
Programs: Delta, United
Posts: 4,234
Not mine but someone on FT once said something to the affect of when the number of successful landings equals the number of successful takeoffs then it is a good day.
FlyingUnderTheRadar is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 7:33 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: DAY/CMH
Programs: UA MileagePlus
Posts: 2,456
This helps maintain perspective: Time to spare? Go by air!
ajGoes is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 7:59 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ontario. Canada
Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Posts: 7,191
Credit to General James Matthis:

"Be polite, be professional but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."
Badenoch is online now  
Old Sep 10, 18, 8:35 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar View Post
Not mine but someone on FT once said something to the affect of when the number of successful landings equals the number of successful takeoffs then it is a good day.
I like that, it's the number 1 aim of aviation, everything else is dressing the salad so to speak
GavinMansfield is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 10:03 am
  #6  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,808
"Your problem is not everyone else's problem"
Proudelitist is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 10:55 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: LAN
Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue, SU Bonus
Posts: 294
Originally Posted by ajGoes View Post
This helps maintain perspective: Time to spare? Go by air!
Funny how these days, this is pretty much the motto for rail travel...

Originally Posted by Badenoch View Post
Credit to General James Matthis:

"Be polite, be professional but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."
I'll take "Mottos you shouldn't share with your flight attendant" for $1,000, Alex.
Mbuchanan likes this.
eastindywalrus is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 12:04 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ex-MSP
Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
Posts: 293
I have two requirements for my flights. The first is that it takes off. The second is that it lands. That's it.

On time? BONUS! No turbulence? BONUS! I was offered pretzels and water? BONUS!

-mvitale
jrpallante likes this.
mvitale is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 12:11 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NUE
Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Gold, UA Premier 1K
Posts: 275
Catch flights not feelings.
ryno and bitterproffit like this.
Marschel is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 2:13 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: YYC
Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat, Nat EE
Posts: 882
If it isn't a Boeing.......I ain't going.
ilcannone and GavinMansfield like this.
KDS777 is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 2:26 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Posts: 546
Originally Posted by KDS777 View Post
If it isn't a Boeing.......I ain't going.
after being couped up in them from Moscow to Irkutsk (just over 5 hours) and Khabarovsk to Moscow (close to 8 hours) last week, I couldn't agree more!
ilcannone is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 2:46 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by KDS777 View Post
If it isn't a Boeing.......I ain't going.
Needless to say they sell these badges in ybr Boeing factory store
GavinMansfield is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 4:05 pm
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,808
Originally Posted by KDS777 View Post
If it isn't a Boeing.......I ain't going.
Really though? I mean, if you find out your flight is on an Airbus, do you nope out? What about short hauls on Embraers and CRJ's?

I always thought this was strange, when you consider every aircraft ever mass produced (with the exception of the newest that have only recently been deployed) has had a crash and every manufacturer has as had crashes among it's products. I would even say Boeing has had MORE than anyone else, because they have been around longer and have military contracts which ups it even more.

Now that I think about it...if it IS Boeing, I ain't going!
trooper likes this.
Proudelitist is offline  
Old Sep 10, 18, 5:38 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: PHL
Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Posts: 812
"Let's make sure we don't end up on the internet today" is what I go by.
Uncle Nonny is offline  
Old Sep 11, 18, 9:56 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: YYC
Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat, Nat EE
Posts: 882
Originally Posted by Proudelitist View Post
Really though? I mean, if you find out your flight is on an Airbus, do you nope out? What about short hauls on Embraers and CRJ's?

I always thought this was strange, when you consider every aircraft ever mass produced (with the exception of the newest that have only recently been deployed) has had a crash and every manufacturer has as had crashes among it's products. I would even say Boeing has had MORE than anyone else, because they have been around longer and have military contracts which ups it even more.

Now that I think about it...if it IS Boeing, I ain't going!
The Embraer product is fine.....CRJ's and anything Airbus I deliberately avoid, sometimes at my own expense of time and money.
KDS777 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: