Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Refusing to handle other people's luggage in the overhead bin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refusing to handle other people's luggage in the overhead bin?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:23 pm
Suspended

If you can't lift it, you shouldn't travel with it. And if you are just making strangers do your work for you...that's just cheeky.
Redhead likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by jayoung101
As I 6ft 4' ,17 stone man (110 kg) ...
As an American, neither of those means anything to me.

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
'Sorry, not in my job description'
Strongly disagree. This is unnecessarily snarky. "No, sorry" is much better.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by jayoung101
As I 6ft 4'
Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
As an American, neither of those means anything to me.
Well, clearly he's 10 feet tall...
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Well, clearly he's 10 feet tall...
Oops, meant to quote only the weights...
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
Oops, meant to quote only the weights...
I figured. I was chuckling at the 6ft 4' thing. It's probably a typo, or a difference between us and Europe like how we use commas and decimal points in numbers differently. But I have a friend who is 6' 7", and when little kids ask him how tall he is, he tells them 5' 19".
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
All jokes aside, I've helped out with the lifting when their bag has been easily accessible, but expecting someone to crane back a row or two and pull a bag out is really asking a little much. The right answer in that case is "I can't reach back and get that without possibly injuring myself. You may want to ask a flight attendant for help after everyone else has deplaned."
Loren Pechtel and cajunguy like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by etch5895
All jokes aside, I've helped out with the lifting when their bag has been easily accessible, but expecting someone to crane back a row or two and pull a bag out is really asking a little much. The right answer in that case is "I can't reach back and get that without possibly injuring myself. You may want to ask a flight attendant for help after everyone else has deplaned."
Excellent response above. A couple of times, I have gotten some dirty looks for not helping (ignoring) someone (smaller woman or elderly person) struggling with their bag in/out of the overhead in my proximity. I had a shoulder injury several years ago that took months to heal. Miserable. I just can't risk going through that pain again. I am extra cautious about lifting my own bag when I decide to carry on.
writerguyfl, muji and cajunguy like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by chipmaster
I've actually had the FA multiple times ask me as they were too short or feeble. For them I've broken down for goodwill, sad some of them exceed my age limit for help any many were height challenged too to not be capable to do this very simple but important task, sad never happens on the Asian carriers, LOL
There is a minimum height requirement which is not specified in dimensions but: "FA applicants must be able to open and close bins unassisted".
I know this is tha case at a few airlines as I made recommendations of an FA career to candidates with soft skills and interest who will make great FAs but they could not close the bins by themselves even with the boarding/deplaning heels on.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by TGarza
For US airlines the unassisted rule is for the exit row only. I have seen FA's start and then stop assisting with a statement they cannot assist a passenger who is sitting in an exit row due to FAA regulations.
I have witnessed exit row pax moved due to their request for baggage assistance and their inability to lift the bags. The FA's reply is "you are unfit to preform exxit row duties based on your request for assistance". (On AA)
Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tjl
Some newer airline seats (not limited to Asian carriers) have steps built into the side of the aisle seat, presumably specifically to help shorter people reach the overhead bins. In the example below, the aisle seat with the step is on the right side of the image (but would be on the left side from the point of view of someone sitting in it).

That is a very good idea. My wife is 4'10" and short-armed besides, the overheads are utterly out of her reach normally.
muji likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by davie355
Sure, but is this viable to say after the other person has observed you picking up your own item from the overhead?
Yes, it’s viable.

As someone who’s bags are often much heavier than they look, and as someone who generally thinks quickly before taking action, I help when I can but do so with adequate caution as to not get injured or injure from removing or placing bags in the overhead bin. Also, I would rather help than see myself or someone else have something fall on a head, shoulder, limb, or part of a limb/hand/foor.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:51 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
A good read about helping with luggage, or refusal should I say, LOL
Husband, 10 & 12 year old daughters kicked off flight and abandoned in Rome
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
I rarely get asked because I am female, but if asked I lend a hand. I may be in that place one day. With baggage restrictions being so onerous, people are forced to pack heavy. Many people may not be able to fly if they have to be able to heft their luggage over their heads. Again, that could be me one day. I am 60 and I specifically added a few weight exercises to my routine so I could more easily handle luggage. So far so good, but I'd hate to be grounded because I can't shoulder press 50 lbs. The friend I travel with can't manage her luggage at times, and although I do think a regimen at the gym wouldn't hurt, I help her. It's just the neighborly thing to do.
GUWonder and DragonSoul like this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Lizie
I've read a few threads where people - mostly men - have been asked to retrieve a case from an overhead locker by a women. I think it must be harder for women to lift weight above their heads. It's not a good look on a women either :-)

My husband always stows the luggage in the overheads but if I had to do it myself sometime I would probably ask the FA or consider putting it into that place where they put the suitcases (can't remember what it's called!!)
I'm a single woman and travel by the rule, if you can't lift it yourself, don't travel with it or check it. I never expect help with luggage while travelling. I've had one or two gentlemen offer help when they see me lifting and I always say thank you - but i NEVER ask or expect the help.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by tentseller
I have witnessed exit row pax moved due to their request for baggage assistance and their inability to lift the bags. The FA's reply is "you are unfit to preform exxit row duties based on your request for assistance". (On AA)
^

If someone can’t manage their carry-on, no way I want them responsible for getting the door open.
Segments and DragonSoul like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.