Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Refusing to handle other people's luggage in the overhead bin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refusing to handle other people's luggage in the overhead bin?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
While I understand this perspective, I'm hesitant to omit any elaboration, even if it's vacuous. It's a social lubricant.

If someone is invited to a party and responds with a plain "no," I think we would all find that very strange at best, and downright rude at worst. This does not implore the invitee to say yes -- rather, the invitee should at least provide a superficial pleasantry such as "I hope you all have fun, I'm unfortunately not going to be able to make it."

Substantively, that's a long winded no. But it goes over easier and I think many people appreciate that.
Wrong.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 5:27 pm

My response when asked on my last flight and I received a blank stare. "Will you pay for my orthopedic surgeon visit since I am not supposed to lift bulky objects over waist height?" If I don't respond with a similar statement people assume I am being rude for not assisting give my height but torn ligaments take time to heel.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
It's not the weight. In Asia I have seen shorter ladies struggling to put it in the overhead compartment. I do help if I feel that I can lift it. Lots of FAs do help especially the male FAs.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 6:48 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I’m happy to help, but I’m going to quietly judge you for bringing something you couldn’t lift. That’s what curbside checked bags are for.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dav662
It's not the weight. In Asia I have seen shorter ladies struggling to put it in the overhead compartment. I do help if I feel that I can lift it. Lots of FAs do help especially the male FAs.
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
I’m happy to help, but I’m going to quietly judge you for bringing something you couldn’t lift. That’s what curbside checked bags are for.
I'm married to one of those short ladies dav662 mentions (yes, she's from Asia.) She would not be able to put an empty bag in the bin, let alone one of normal weight. As long as I'm asked nicely and the bag isn't crazy heavy I'm perfectly willing to help.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 1:03 am

I've never been asked for a bag in a situation where there wasn't a good reason. Good reasons, in my book, include the requester being short, elderly, or simply that I'm standing in front of the bin and can just grab it for them without them having to get out of their seat.

Having flown Pegasus airlines a few times over the last days, I noted that the culture for boarding and deplaning appears ... uncooperative. People massively blocked the aisles getting their bags into or out of the overhead lockers. One person standing and getting the bags helps with the process. Particularly if it's someone like me who will squeeze out of the way of others to let them through, when I noticed that others often didn't. I wouldn't pass someone their bag unasked, but would happily do this if asked.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I'm married to one of those short ladies dav662 mentions (yes, she's from Asia.) She would not be able to put an empty bag in the bin, let alone one of normal weight. As long as I'm asked nicely and the bag isn't crazy heavy I'm perfectly willing to help.
I am another DH of petite Asian lady.
I would help unless the bag is too heavy. I have graciously declined a few times when the bag felt too heavy for my comfort zone.
When DW travels by herself she never brings my dumbells in her carryon, she never has a request denied.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tentseller
I am another DH of petite Asian lady.
I would help unless the bag is too heavy. I have graciously declined a few times when the bag felt too heavy for my comfort zone.
When DW travels by herself she never brings my dumbells in her carryon, she never has a request denied.
That's been her experience, also. I have yet to encounter one I consider too heavy.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I am more concerned the huge backpacks that people carry and put on their backs while still inside the aircraft. They do not seem to think that they are dangerous when they do this and keep turning around around in the narrow aisles and knocking everyone off with their huge back packs.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
I can wiggle the handle and judge whether the suitcase is too heavy for me. Then say so and not finish getting it out. Also I do not want to be responsible just because I was the last person to touch it before it fell and something broke.

No handle? If the owner of the suitcase is not courteous enough to give me the handle then I would decline to help right away.

No, I would not wait to swim upstream to get someone else's suitcase several rows back.

When (I) am talking on my cell phone, others are less likely to interrupt me and ask ...
Once (not in an airplane but rather on one of those amusement park rides where you drive a little car around a track with restraining rails) I got out my cell phone and pretended to talk on it, so others nearby could see me do that.
tentseller likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:55 pm

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
I am 76. I check a bag and travel with the smallest carry on I can. Sure, I know that I will likely have to stow it myself but the angle of an overhead is difficult and I really appreciate help. I get it about half the time .
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 9:12 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
I also ask for help in grocery aisles with products on upper shelves. I am not quite 5 feet. I can't reach the overhead bin. Would you rather I climb up on the aisle seat to get my overhead bag in? Some of us are just petite. We need help with things those of you tall people take for granted. Please be kind to one another.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:33 am

Programs: none
If you have a legitimate reason for not providing a simple courtesy to a fellow traveler, that's OK.
If you DON'T have good reason for not helping a fellow traveler, it's a jerk move.

Who gets to decide if you have a good enough reason? You do.
farci, Scots_Al and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond , Marriott Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, American Airlines Gold
I think it is totally fine to refuse for whatever reason, though helping when you can is a kind thing to do.

I’m quite petite (I’m not short, but I have short arms and I weigh about 100lbs) and although I’m perfectly capable of lifting my own bag, to get it into some of the bins, I have so stand on my seat to do so (this is especially common in international business). I’m aware that that might anger some pax (even if it’s my seat I’m standing on), but it’s that or struggle to get the bag up and hold up boarding.

I’m frequently offered assistance and I always take it (unless the person offering is clearly over the age where that should be happening. As I said, I’m more than able to lift my bags above my head. The issue is actually getting it into the bin) and am grateful for it, but unless I had a broken arm (which I did a few years ago), I wouldn’t ask for any assistance. That said, if I did and someone said no, that’s perfectly OK too.
ijkh and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Allan38103
If you have a legitimate reason for not providing a simple courtesy to a fellow traveler, that's OK.
If you DON'T have good reason for not helping a fellow traveler, it's a jerk move.

Who gets to decide if you have a good enough reason? You do.
This. I am astonished this appears to be such a divisive issue. Always help if you can, don’t if you can’t (but be polite about it). One day you might need to ask someone for help.. it might not be help with lifting a bag, it might not even be anywhere near a plane... you’d hope to receive it.
farci, Loren Pechtel and strickerj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.