Reload this Page >

How do you pack? Rolls or Flat?

Old Jul 8, 18, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, DL GM, Avis First, Sixt Plat

Hey everyone!

Was wondering if there's any correlation between how much you fly and how you pack your bags. I couldn't find a way of posting a poll, so I'll keep track of this thread and post edits as we get more votes. I'll just ask you to reply in this format to make things easier for me: [usual number of miles butt in seat per year] / [packing preference]. e.g.: 120k / rolls.
Old Jul 8, 18, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat; HHonors Diamond
80k/half roll, half flat, never check bags.
Old Jul 8, 18, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Does the roll thing actually work for anyone? Iíve tried and my shirts still end up creased.

Top tip for me isnít rolling, itís wetting your shirt and drying it with a hairdryer (if you donít have an iron).
Old Jul 8, 18, 2:59 pm

Depends on the bag.

Double clamshell soft-sided carry-on (yes, I'm retro): flat, and strapped down with the internal straps.
Top or end loading duffel (usually used for sports things or field trips): rolls, usually with a second bag or divider to hold dirty clothes.
40K/both, depends on the bag and the trip
Old Jul 8, 18, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Scots_Al View Post
Does the roll thing actually work for anyone? Iíve tried and my shirts still end up creased.

Top tip for me isnít rolling, itís wetting your shirt and drying it with a hairdryer (if you donít have an iron).
I "iron" my shirts when I arrive at a hotel by hanging them close to the shower and running the shower scalding hot for 10 minutes or so with the bathroom door closed.

I purchased "magic fiber" polo shirts in Shanghai that will not crease when rolled for travel.
Collierkr and gdude like this.
Old Jul 8, 18, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
100K - flat, with shirts/jackets in dry cleaning plastic bags/wraps, folded in thirds in a valet bag, placed on top of the other items in my carry-on.
Old Jul 8, 18, 6:14 pm

Programs: Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Packing

It depends on the garments, but I roll small items and bundle larger, and always use packing cubes.
Old Jul 8, 18, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Oops I think I might have misread the title I thought it was about shipping cars the "L" looked like an I

carry on
Old Jul 8, 18, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Scots_Al View Post

i hang mine in the bathroom and turn shower on as hot as it goes and wait for 5 minutes. Turn water off and leave door closed for another 30.
gdude likes this.
Old Jul 8, 18, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Titanium"
175k/flat for suits and trousers as well as shirts (in plastic with laundry's cardboard still in except around collar); everything else rolled.
Old Jul 8, 18, 7:54 pm

Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
50k/rolls, carry-on only (since I don't like waiting or paying for the airlines to lose my luggage!).

Only exception to that rule are:
  1. I'm travelling to an agriculture area in the US (i.e. SJU/HNL) where I'd rather dump the bag at check in and let the USDA/TSA work their magic on the bag
  2. I'm moving and have more to items to carry than a simple backpack
Regardless of what approach I use I never check anything of value in (i.e. I'll be comfortable losing the baggage). In other words, passport, expensive (>$100) electronics, and medication always come on board as carry on, doesn't matter what airline I fly!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jul 8, 18, 8:34 pm

60k, half flats half rolls. Hard shell int'l rollaboard + messenger bag. For weekend trips, just a weekender duffle and doesn't really matter too much how it goes in.
Old Jul 8, 18, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Plat/LTG, Hilton Gold, UA Silver, AA Gold
75k - 100k / half and half. Carry-on (22'' rollerboard) only for work unless I'm trying to bring back alcohol (e.g., Japanese Whisky, Australian wine, etc.).

Carry-on rollerboard has garmet section for 1 suit + 2-4 shirts which I iron when I get to my hotel (unless going to multiple cities in which case I only iron the specific shirt for that city). Roll my gym clothes and fold the rest (jeans, khakis, polos, khaki shorts if applicable).
Old Jul 8, 18, 10:32 pm

50 and flat
Old Jul 8, 18, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Frequent flyer for more than 10 years. I've went from no clue, to rolling everything, to throwing everything in the bag at the last minute. I range from 60 flights to 140 flights per year, and now I simply hate packing until I have to.

The one thing I do is find clothes that are less prone to wrinkling, and are iron friendly. Second is waiting until the last minute to pack, and hanging everything in the hotel the minute I arrive.

Search this Thread