Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you pack? Rolls or Flat?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:43 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

125k/rolls and flat

checking-in baggage or carry-on only depends on the destination. Also, funny story: doing rolls and flat, I once managed to cram 20kg of luggage into a 21' Globe-Trotter carry-on trolley case. I was being cheap and did HBO on BA
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
100k / both. Roll roll things like undershirts and running clothes. Fold for button-down shirts and pants.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
Oh! This is very interesting!
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
25K, some years a lot more / mostly flat in packing cubes (roll socks)

That bundle packing diagram? That's OK for a trip where you unpack once, but terrible for the way I travel, one week to 2 months with longer trips staying one week in a few places and 3-4 days in most stops. I've fully embraced packing cubes, especially the Eagle Creek Specter Tech compression cubes.

As mentioned above, one can pack day-by-day in each cube for a shorter trip and by categories (pants, tops, etc.) for others. Another big advantage of packing cubes is at the end of a trip I can compress dirty clothes in the cubes, just wash clothing and the cubes when necessary.

I've finally worked out how to travel carry-on only for long trips, even in winter. Liberating to say the least.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 6:14 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
I roll my cloths unless im going on an extended trip in which case I throw everything in a vacuum bag, those things have been a life saver when trying to conserve space.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:31 pm
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
50-100k+/year, carryon only travel (I prefer to sleep instead of waiting for my cheched bags to come out). Used to do bundle packing, but got tired to undo and re-do the whole bundle at each hotel/night on multi-hotel trips, so do flat folding these days as it is easier to pick individual items as needed.

I consciously am trying to minimize the time for repeated actions every night/morning and pack things in zip lock bags sorted suitably. Setting up or packing takes only a minute or two and everything is charging and toothbrush/paste ready to use, or back in the bag.

Some preparation and planning at home really makes it easier when on the road, which is tiring enough anyway.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: LH, DL
50k flat/bundle, carryon unless taking sporting equipment
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: LH M+M
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Flat, in packing folders, but roll undies/socks as makes it easier to pull just one out of the cube. My suitcase looks like an ad for Eagle Creek packing cubes/folders!
Same here (~80k)
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: US Gold
Dianne47: Yes, it took me just *one* attempt at bundling to think "This is too much trouble". I want to be able to take out one clean shirt without having to repack everything. I just can't see that expertise will ever make it a quick packing method. And also, I have a rule that the less you unpack the less likely you are to leave anything behind. Not possible with that method.

wg
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Everything flat, except socks, T-shirts and swimwear
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: MileagePlus Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
50K / Bundle roll (socks, underwear, knit shirts) and separately roll slacks -- it works especially well when visiting multiple places on a single trip. But do understand that I now travel mostly for pleasure. Back in the day (100K), my favorite carry-on was a Samsonite "carry-on size" garment bag that never wrinkled suits and shirts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.