Wiki Posts
Search

To pay or not to pay is the question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Million miler
To pay or not to pay is the question

I am traveling to Addis Ababa airport on my way to Kilimanjaro in about a month. It is a long flight of over 15 hours. I am flying by coach. The airline offers a one way upgrade (only up-to Addis Ababa) for about $1000. Return will be another $1000. Unfortunately I can't use miles (as I don't belong to the FF flyer program of this airline or its partners). Is it worth paying $1000 each way for a comfortable flight?
Any opinions?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
If it is a lie flat bed.......you'd have to be crazy not to pay $1K each way to upgrade from economy.

But that is just me.......been there done that........many a time. Your body and mind will either thank you, or punish you, for the first 2 days after you land.
DutchessPDX and AStarr like this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
over on the Delta board, the conversation has come to more or less of a consensus that ~$1/minute is the “worth-it” threshold ... 15 hours is 900 minutes, and a lie-flat is clearly more desirable than domestic F, but as always the person who’s paying is the only one who can make the real value judgement
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I couldn't get my credit card out fast enough for the outbound trip. Coming home maybe not so much but I'd still take it for $1,000.
Dianne47 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
If I was about to climb Kilimanjaro, I'd want to be as rested as possible. If paying another $1,000 would mean that my legs wouldn't be all cramped up from sitting in an economy seat for 15 hours, it would take me about two nanoseconds to get my credit card out. And if I had just climbed Kilimanjaro, I'd pay any amount to be able to lie down.

(I'm guessing that, if you can afford to climb Kili, then you can find $2,000 somewhere without starving your family or having your home repossessed. If I guessed wrong, my apologies. And if you're going there for some other reason, perhaps physical rest isn't as important.)
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Or spend the $2000 to stay a few nights in a beach resort in Zanzibar prior/after climbing and be even better rested than in an airplane seat.
cargueiro and smc333 like this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Or spend the $2000 to stay a few nights in a beach resort in Zanzibar prior/after climbing and be even better rested than in an airplane seat.
+1

or do both

(Can you get the resort with miles? Then you can pay cash for the ticket....)
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Sort of question that’s impossible to answer, unfortunately.

Only you know what $1000 means to you, and what you won’t spend it on (or what debt you won’t pay off) if you upgrade.

Only you know how well you cope with long haul Y, or how much you appreciate J.

I’m guessing though that you’re really just wanting people to tell you to do it! So go on, then, enjoy!
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Depends on how well you sleep on a plane and how your body reacts. MrsCP can fall asleep on an RJ before takeoff and I need to wake her to deplane, feeling great.

I can barely sleep on any plane at all.

Also consider the lag time between the flight and the climb. A couple of nights sleep does wonders, and I can do a lot of things for $1,000.

For some people, $1,000 is a pittance to feel better for a day. For others, it's a month's discretionary spending.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Million miler
You got it!

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Sort of question that’s impossible to answer, unfortunately.

Only you know what $1000 means to you, and what you won’t spend it on (or what debt you won’t pay off) if you upgrade.

Only you know how well you cope with long haul Y, or how much you appreciate J.

I’m guessing though that you’re really just wanting people to tell you to do it! So go on, then, enjoy!
I just needed the marginal push. I am returning on a Friday- may be Sat/Sun will provide me with rest. Onward, I will shell out the money. After all, it is a major item in my bucket list (at 71).
Thanks to all of you

Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
No one can answer the "is it worth it" questions, only the person asking the question can make that judgment.

For me, any flight is "worth it", I've been done with coach in any form for several years.
Annalisa12 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: *G
if the original fare was <1000 USD, a roundtrip upgrade puts it under 3000 USD, which is not unreasonable. if its on a good carrier like emirates rather than egyptair, id even call it a very good fare.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Hell yeah.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Gynob001

I just needed the marginal push. I am returning on a Friday- may be Sat/Sun will provide me with rest. Onward, I will shell out the money. After all, it is a major item in my bucket list (at 71).
Thanks to all of you

If that means you are 71, then the answer is very simple: pay the money and enjoy life.
Scots_Al and Mauibaby2008 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
If that means you are 71, then the answer is very simple: pay the money and enjoy life.
When I saw the OP's age I thought the same thing. My late husband got spoiled in Business Class on long hauls when we started using miles from my business travel. At some point, and it may have been that age, we made the decision to do all our long-hauls in Business. He was over 6 feet tall and his back was starting to give him problems and it just took him too long to recover from Coach flights. We flew less often after that but that was our priority.

He's gone now. I'm 65, shorter and have no back problems but that's still how I travel. The rest of my lifestyle is pretty modest so I can still keep the bills paid and stash a little in the grandkids' 529 accounts.

OP, you made the right choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.