Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

To pay or not to pay is the question

To pay or not to pay is the question

Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by deniah
if the original fare was <1000 USD, a roundtrip upgrade puts it under 3000 USD, which is not unreasonable. if its on a good carrier like emirates rather than egyptair, id even call it a very good fare.
The sunk cost of the original fare is not relevant in the decision. The advantages of a business class seat, and the $1000 cost of it, don't change based on the original ticket price.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by CPRich
The sunk cost of the original fare is not relevant in the decision. The advantages of a business class seat, and the $1000 cost of it, don't change based on the original ticket price.
Sure it does. It affects, e.g. the budget one sets for oneself. Or the psychological sting of having already paid a (hypothetical) 2k Y/B/H fare.

The upgrade proposition is fixed but whether I should yank that additional sum out of my pocket, I wouldn't consider in a vacuum.

​​​​​
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Do it. It's the sort of thing you can throw money at and spare yourself the headache..and body ache. 15 hours is a long time.

And remember, it not JUST the seat you are getting with the upgrade. You are also getting shorter lines, LOUNGE access (likely with a shower), better meals, better treatment, earlier boarding and priority baggage. For a long trip like that, it's worth it and your state of mind and body will be much much improved which will improve your overall trip.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by jrl767
over on the Delta board, the conversation has come to more or less of a consensus that ~$1/minute is the “worth-it” threshold ... 15 hours is 900 minutes, and a lie-flat is clearly more desirable than domestic F, but as always the person who’s paying is the only one who can make the real value judgement
i don't understand how there can be a consensus over a completely subjective thing.

I'm sure some people would take a $10 saving on a 15hr flight if they had to stand the whole way, whilst others would pay an extra $1000 for regional jet FC on a 30min flight.

The only answer to all these questions is to read the benefits of J over Y or whatever COS we're talking about and decide how much you'd pay for that. If that is more than the airline is asking for an upgrade then it is worth it. If it's less then it isn't.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:37 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I think it is. Imagine, at the time of booking, that you have the choice between $1,000 Y fare from SFO to LHR or a J fare for $3,000. You decide against booking the more expensive J fare. Fast forward to the week prior to departure. The airline offers you an upgrade offer $1,200 each way. That's not a good deal, it's paying $400 over what you originally thought to be too expensive. If however you're original fare was $300, then it is a much better deal...
sbm12 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 5:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KDS777
If it is a lie flat bed.......you'd have to be crazy not to pay $1K each way to upgrade from economy.
Or just on a budget. I did ADD-LFW-EWR in Y a couple months ago and survived just fine. Spending the $1000 would've been a big cost relative to the value for me on that trip.
Could not disagree more. The total cost of the product is what's in question here. The payment plan by which you get to that number only matters if you have cash flow issues, not if the total price is right/wrong.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Since we’ve gone way off topic here.... both sides of the argument are right.

RATIONALLY, the sunk cost is irrelevant. It’s done, gone, should be forgotten. The only consideration SHOULD be whether the additional benefits of J over Y are equal to or greater than the additional cost today. This is really econ101 stuff.

BUT, we all know humans aren’t rational. We know we can be tricked into thinking we’re getting a better deal than we are, just because the upgrade offer is cheaper than the original fare we didn’t buy for whatever reason. Same is true vice-versa.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:00 pm

Disagree that the "sunk cost" is irrelevant; you haven't consumed the product yet when making the decision so the total cost for the new "thing" vs the "sunk" for the old can still be a rational decision. If spending $2500 for J is a bad deal then it doesn't matter if you spend $1500 this week and $1000 next week. It is still a bad deal, just on a payment plan.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by sbm12
Disagree that the "sunk cost" is irrelevant; you haven't consumed the product yet when making the decision so the total cost for the new "thing" vs the "sunk" for the old can still be a rational decision. If spending $2500 for J is a bad deal then it doesn't matter if you spend $1500 this week and $1000 next week. It is still a bad deal, just on a payment plan.
Don’t worry you’re still being rational! You’re performing the same calculation! You’re not refusing to pay the extra Ł1k because you don’t value J benefits as Ł1k greater than Y, you’re refusing to pay it because your marginal opportunity cost increases when you start spending so much in total on a ticket. Ł2k total you’d have been fine with, but that extra Ł500 stops you doing something you really want to do (and value at more than J), or means you incur interest charges on your credit card. The cost to you is not just the cash cost of Ł1k, it’s that plus the value of the opportunity cost.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Well, Ethiopian Airlines offers a bidding for upgrade and my original ticket qualified. I have made a bid and am waiting for their response. They charge by each segment.
caveats:
1. They might accept upgrading partial itinerary. I might not get upgraded EWR-ADD (17 hr) but might for the shorter ADD to JRO!
2. Wouldn't know seat selection if upgraded, until I board the flight (according to the airlines).
3. Don't know whether my "special meals" would be honored as I wouldn't know until later.
4. If I am accepted for the shorter flight, I wouldn't know whether I would qualify for the lounge access!
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
These are impossible questions to answer. Calculations such as $ per minute are even sillier, They are all subjective based on the personal financial and other circumstances of the passenger.

If $1,000 means that you will lose your house, then do not upgrade. If $1,000 is what you spend on a simple night out with friends, then it is worth it. If you are 5'4" in perfect health, this is a luxury. If you are 6'6" with bad back problems, it is closer to a necessity.

Only you can assess what $1,000 means to you and what kind of a premium you put on the specific hard and soft product involved.
mmff and Super Mario like this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I never understand these 'is it worth it' questions. The answer depends very much on your personal and financial circumstances. If you are swimming in cash and value comfort, go for it. If you are on benefits and can't sleep on a plane anyway, why bother? Only you can decide what is right for you. Personally I think $1,000 for a flat bed is a great deal.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
$1,000 for a comfirmed J seat a month before the flight is a pretty solid deal.

To me, this is worth more than the "would you upgrade for $X?" deals. Those offers are either in the form of a kiosk upgrade - after everyone else has selected seats - or even worse, at the gate, waiting for other people to board before you know whether you're headed for Y or J.

$1k for 15 hours is almost always going to be a hell-yeah from me, assuming we're talking about any kind of quality carrier. If I'm cash-strapped enough to make it an either/or proposition, I'd want the best rest prior to trekking/climbing. Slogging it home in Y wouldn't be as big of a deal to me.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Gynob001
Well, Ethiopian Airlines offers a bidding for upgrade and my original ticket qualified. I have made a bid and am waiting for their response. They charge by each segment.
caveats:
1. They might accept upgrading partial itinerary. I might not get upgraded EWR-ADD (17 hr) but might for the shorter ADD to JRO!
2. Wouldn't know seat selection if upgraded, until I board the flight (according to the airlines).
3. Don't know whether my "special meals" would be honored as I wouldn't know until later.
4. If I am accepted for the shorter flight, I wouldn't know whether I would qualify for the lounge access!
There is a long thread about ET's upgrade auction here with plenty of info and data points

Ethiopian - new online upgrade auction

However, to summarise your questions :

1) In my experience, as long as there are at least 2 Business class seats available for sale, you will be upgraded at the lowest price offered in the auction.
2) Your upgrade will be confirmed at EXACTLY 48 hours prior to departure if available and the segments upgraded will be automatically rebooked into "C" class. You can then select seats online via the Manage Booking function on the Ethiopian website or app. You will not be able to generate an OLCI boarding pass however in most cases as that needs to be manually processed after a PlusGrade upgrade.
3) Your SPML should be processed as 48 hours is in excess of the minimum cutoff for SPML requests. However, this can again be verified on the Manage Booking function or by calling the ET call center.
4) You will be entitled to lounge access based upon your class of service for the next departing flight (viz. if flying ADD-JRO in Business Class, you will be entitled to use the Cloud Nine Lounge in Addis).
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:15 pm

I would not be able to spend 15 hours in coach its a torture because im quite tall. So if you are of a bigger size then its wotrh to spend more for more comfort.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.