Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What’s that European comforter/sheet thing called?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat and Lifetime Plat DL Gold HH Diamond

Trying to figure this out - y’all know what I’m talking about . It’s that “comforter in a bag” thing that seems to be so common in Europe. What’s that thing called?

And more importantly why do hotels insist on using it? Just ran in to it at the Le Meridien Cambridge MIT last night... not sure I’ve ever seen it in a U.S. hotel.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
A duvet.
Old May 7, 2018, 8:23 pm
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Depending on where you are, it may be called a comforter, doona, duvet, quilt, eiderdown, continental quilt, etc.

BTW, it's not a 'comforter in a bag' The bag is a cover. The above-mentioned item is the part inside the washable cover.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Do you mean a duvet cover?
Old May 7, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
FWIW I have switched from a duvet and cover to putting the duvet between two flat sheets. It is easier than stuffing the duvet into the duvet cover and it's easier the adjust from when it's hot at bedtime but cold a few hours later or visa versa. And IKEA has a good price on the middle stuffing part. I actually use one between the mattress pad and bottom sheet in the colder months in addition to the one between the top sheets.
Old May 8, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by PBA_DC3
And more importantly why do hotels insist on using it? Just ran in to it at the Le Meridien Cambridge MIT last night... not sure I’ve ever seen it in a U.S. hotel.
I'm not in the hotel business, but I assume they use duvets because it is easier, cheaper and more hygienic to wash the duvet cover than to clean a bulky comforter or bedspread on a regular basis. I'm not sure what hotels you are staying in, but from what I've seen, it seems to be very common in US hotels, although many use triple sheeting (a flat sheet above and below the duvet) instead of a duvet cover.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I don't really understand why US hotels (or at least the ones I stay in) continue to use sheets and blankets. They are so much less comfortable, it's so difficult to get the temperature right and they don't strike me as being very hygienic.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by PBA_DC3
Trying to figure this out - y’all know what I’m talking about . It’s that “comforter in a bag” thing that seems to be so common in Europe. What’s that thing called?

As others have already given you "duvet" and its derivatives, wondering why you didn't Google 'European comforter' or 'European comforter cover' or similar ... you'd have come up with "duvet" in less than five seconds?
Old May 8, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I can't remember the last time I ran across a blanket instead of a duvet at a hotel in the US. In fact, I've started moving to the duvet + cover - top sheet format at home as well.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I can't remember the last time I ran across a blanket instead of a duvet at a hotel in the US. In fact, I've started moving to the duvet + cover - top sheet format at home as well.
I use a duvet at home too. That way, when the cat barfs on the bed, or I spill coffee on it, I can just throw the cover in the washing machine instead of having to take the whole thing to a laundromat that has oversize machines.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Low Roller
I use a duvet at home too. That way, when the cat barfs on the bed, or I spill coffee on it, I can just throw the cover in the washing machine instead of having to take the whole thing to a laundromat that has oversize machines.
LOL - I'm glad I'm not the only person who does things around the house prophylactically in the event of cat barf
princeville likes this.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I call it ‘too hot’.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I call it ‘too hot’.
This. I sleep hot and hate the things. I always wind up a sweaty mess.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by milepig
This. I sleep hot and hate the things. I always wind up a sweaty mess.
Just do what I do - remove the duvet from the cover, and use only the cover.
While my Starwood profile specifically requests " Top sheet only - no duvet or blanket", I find that observed
less than 50% of the time. The rest of the time I just remove the duvet and use the cover only.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:13 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
While we're on the topic of bedding, why do so many Sheratons and Four Points have these super odd setups where there's something like a duvet cover but open at the top with the duvet loose inside, plus what looks like a second duvet without cover beneath it? It's a regular bugbear of mine - the open duvet is irritating, and the second duvet always gets thrown on the floor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.