Wiki Posts
Search

How do you sleep on planes?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Based on your profile I see you lived or have lived in places with no-daylight winters and no-dark summers. I always wondered if that helps with Jetlag, or completely makes it worse.
FYI, none of the locations mentioned in the profile of @AStarr falls into the categories you mention. Malmo and Aarhus are pretty much on the same latitude, Sheffield a tad more southern. From Malmo you would have to fly 800+ miles to get to the arctic circle. The sunrise/sunset for Malmo winter solstice was 08.35/15.36, and summer solstice 04.25/21.54

On the map on this Wikipedia page of the Arctic Circle you can approximate both Malmo and Aarhus to Copenhagen, situated in the middle between them. Sheffield just about makes it within the lower limit of the map.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Based on your profile I see you lived or have lived in places with no-daylight winters and no-dark summers. I always wondered if that helps with Jetlag, or completely makes it worse.
I actually relocated latitudes and longitudes from Florida to the UK and southern Sweden and Denmark. We do get a bit of darkness at the summer solstice in the south of Sweden and fair bit of light in the winter - not nearly as extreme as above the Arctic circle. I find I function best in the winter? But I have a good test case this year for jetlag (a transatlantic rt flight in each season, heh - and I've flown from Florida to Iceland during solstice - the jetlag and the sun were just... mindboggling). I'm essentially nocturnal so function best in winter that far north. I really don't care about time of day in the winter TBH so the jetlag doesn't really bug me. But so much sun in summer can throw off my psyche for some reason. Oh well. I have several years to adjust! It's always an experiment with my life.

It certainly makes my airplane sleeping adventures all the more entertaining and necessary. I just look at the blocks of time before and after the long-haul flights to see when I need to sleep the most. I'll conk out easily on the trains in England for a nap. A 15 minute snooze will keep me going for most short haul flights and connections including immigration. It's the waiting around between flights that kills me. Nap zones in lounges are my friend. Noise-cancelling headphones, a 3D foam contoured eye-mask - that's really the best thing to get me to doze off anywhere if I absolutely need to squeeze in a powernap.

Or a massage at the PP lounge in T2 LHR - heh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.