Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Midge bites - help!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Midge bites - help!

It hasn't rained in the UK for a few weeks now and been sweltering hot. We've had to keep the doors and windows wide open to let out the heat but the midges are out in force and I'm now the proud owner of itchy bite marked arms/legs/neck smothered with broad dabs of sudocrem. Not a good look if you wear skirts or dress to work.

Anyone who's traveled abroad where flying insects like to ambush then bite chunks offer any suggestions how to get rid of them? Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Many people, myself included, swear by Avon Skin so Soft. Far more effective than any DEET-based repellant.
maeboyce likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Umm. Window screens?
muji likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:29 am

Don't use autan spray. (Or something using similar ingredients) in my experience they like it and you'll get even more of them on you.
Locals in places who have a general problem with that pest - like Scots should know stuff that works
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Umm. Window screens?
Pretty much unknown in the UK.
Lizie likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Many people, myself included, swear by Avon Skin so Soft. Far more effective than any DEET-based repellant.
Thanks for the tip - will give it a go !
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Umm. Window screens?
We don't really have them in the Uk as London Elite pointed out. This weather isn't something we are used to.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:08 am
Suspended

There are many different kinds of repellants and some work better than others for some people vs. other people. There is no 'one size fits all'.

Avon Skin So Soft has long been known by N. American backpackers as a bug repellant. Avon finally figured out why they were selling so much of it and came out with Avon Bug Guard which sells for more than the original Skin So Soft. LOL

https://www.avon.com/category/bath-b...ect-repellents

You can still just buy the original Skin So Soft for less money.

You can try it but all repellants work better on some people than on others as I said, there is no one size fits all.

I guess trying some repellants is your cheapest way to try and solve your problem but you may have to try several before you find one that works well for you and in the meantime you will continue to get bitten. You could make up some wooden frames with screening if you or someone you know was handy with a hammer and nails and use them in your windows temporarily. You could buy an air conditioner and close your windows, that would be the best long term solution although the most expensive obviously.

I guess the question I might ask myself is do I believe in Global Warming or not and do I believe the scientists who are telling us we better get used to these weather changes as they are going to become the 'new normal'. If you do believe that, then adding air conditioning as a long term investment would be the way to go even though it has not been the norm in the UK.
muji and Lizie like this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Surely using a portable air conditioner, which uses a huge amount of electricity, will only contribute the the climate change problem.
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Lizie
Thanks for the tip - will give it a go !
it has to be the original version in the greenish bottle - the blue and pink versions don’t work!

citronella or lavender candles and lavender body sprays also work well
Lizie likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Try a relatively new repellent Smidge. I’m basically immune to midges but my other half reacts very badly to their bites. We tried smidge on a holiday in the highlands with plenty of midges in attendance and she had very few bites at the end of the trip.
Lizie likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Permethrin. The US military treats uniforms with it before going to the jungle. Kills everything, no smell. Treat your clothing.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:38 pm

Permethrin is great on clothes, deet or picardin on skin. Some bugs I.e. black flies are more persistent and the best bet is long sleeves and netting.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Lizie
It hasn't rained in the UK for a few weeks now and been sweltering hot. We've had to keep the doors and windows wide open to let out the heat but the midges are out in force and I'm now the proud owner of itchy bite marked arms/legs/neck smothered with broad dabs of sudocrem. Not a good look if you wear skirts or dress to work.

Anyone who's traveled abroad where flying insects like to ambush then bite chunks offer any suggestions how to get rid of them? Thanks.
If you're looking for an effective way to treat the bites, a dab of diphenhydramine /Benadryl cream is extremely effective and disappears in seconds. It can prevent your immune system from generating an itchy red welt from the bite. I much prefer it to taking oral medication for the bites as it treats only the bite, not your whole system. During mosquito season I always have some with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.