Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What are things you do when you travel that you are surprised others do not do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are things you do when you travel that you are surprised others do not do?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
(4) Along those lines, I often carry a three-to-one power outlet splitter like this:

Costs $6. When travelling int'l I only have to carry one power adapter and can plug in 3 devices. When travelling anywhere with US-compatible plugs it solves the problem of when you are at the gate and there's only one outlet and it's already been claimed -- no one minds unplugging their laptop for 2s to let you plug this in and then more people can share.
Except for outlet blocking if there is a line of them.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
(4) Along those lines, I often carry a three-to-one power outlet splitter like this:

Costs $6. When travelling int'l I only have to carry one power adapter and can plug in 3 devices. When travelling anywhere with US-compatible plugs it solves the problem of when you are at the gate and there's only one outlet and it's already been claimed -- no one minds unplugging their laptop for 2s to let you plug this in and then more people can share.
I generally carry two small power bars (power strips.... whatever you want to call them) from my local dollar store or ikea and two plug adapters for the regions I'll be in. Adds a little weight, but doesn't confine me to one small part of the room(s) I'll be in. The power adapter is nice, but tends to cause several issues (such as scratches from the plug part to whatever I'm putting it in) and they tend to put a lot of weight on the plug/adapter causing it to come out of the outlet..
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I don't get why you think it is easier [shipping a box of clothes] than checking a bag?
For me it's always been easy enough to pack and check suitcases with what I need but my sisters with young children have found that shipping a box of clothes (and other stuff) ahead to the destination is a winner. With little kids in tow it's so much easier to manage the act of travel without multiple extra pieces of luggage to worry about. And for my sisters who don't have frequent flyer status like I do, the cost of shipping a box of clothes is cheaper than airline bag fees.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I don't get why you think it is easier doing that than checking a bag?
They're essentially paying somebody to deal with the hassle of a bag for them. Which is totally fine. Though I will admit that when you take that back to the first post in the thread where they wonder why they are surprised others don't do that it becomes a little weird because then it basically boils down to "Why isn't everyone else in a position in life where they have a concierge that will take care of things for them, that surprises me". No crap. Most people don't have concierges. OP has a pretty specific use case and doing what works for them but I don't know how they'd be surprised that isn't the norm.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: Qantas, Velocity
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Pee before boarding. You may be on the plane but that doesn't mean you can take your sweet time in the toilet prior to take-off.
i learnd this one the hard way at LAX last month. Another passenger and I were both needing to go before the flight, but didn’t want to miss boarding (I’d been earlier, but I was drinking a lot of water). We both planned to go once we’d found our seats. No such luck. The toilets were locked.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I never check bags.

I can go away for 2 weeks with one carry on.

I pay my own way for first/bizz.

These all seem to blow people away equally.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:20 pm

Carry a pen.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: AA
I'm surprised that people with smartphones get to destinations and don't use a GPS-enabled map. They get the lay of the land with paper maps picked up from the tourist information kiosk and find out where they are standing by asking passersby.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by backprop
I'm surprised that people with smartphones get to destinations and don't use a GPS-enabled map. They get the lay of the land with paper maps picked up from the tourist information kiosk and find out where they are standing by asking passersby.
Plus looking at a map on your phone doesn't scream "TOURIST" like having a paper map out and trying to orient yourself.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Local maps can often be more useful than vanilla Google Maps. They better identify the landmarks and destinations of interest to tourists.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by txflyer77
Local maps can often be more useful than vanilla Google Maps. They better identify the landmarks and destinations of interest to tourists.
Right. And they're generally not helpful to figure out where on the map you are currently standing, nor to indicate which direction you are facing, nor to help determine the best route (walking or transit) to get to your next location. I didn't say that I was surprised that people have a printed map (I always do), just that they attempt to navigate using it.

Regarding showing attractions: before my last trip, I made a simple Google map in each city with color-coded pins on the attractions I wanted to see, potential places to eat, and my hotel. Made the time at the destination that much more enjoyable and valuable. One thing a paper map gives you (and this helps replicate) is spacial context.
Zeeb likes this.

Last edited by backprop; Apr 17, 2018 at 1:14 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by KDS777
I pay my own way for first/bizz.
These all seem to blow people away equally.
I think for this one a lot of people assume that First/Biz is, like 3-4x the price of coach. In the past that was true. But today I occasionally see First/Biz priced at 1.5x coach. At that level it's a quality/price ratio I'll definitely consider.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:07 pm

I've had traveling companions that create pretty ambitious lists of things they want to see and do, but then don't formulate a basic plan of how to see them efficiently. This is especially true as it relates to opening hours. For example, if most of the sights on the list close by 17:00, but one is open until 22:00, it's probably a good idea to make that one the last of the day rather than the first (all other things being equal).
saffy66 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Right. And they're generally not helpful to figure out where on the map you are currently standing, nor to indicate which direction you are facing, nor to help determine the best route (walking or transit) to get to your next location. I didn't say that I was surprised that people have a printed map (I always do), just that they attempt to navigate using it.

Regarding showing attractions: before my last trip, I made a simple Google map in each city with color-coded pins on the attractions I wanted to see, potential places to eat, and my hotel. Made the time at the destination that much more enjoyable and valuable. One thing a paper map gives you (and this helps replicate) is spacial context.
Sure, and I've taken that approach, but it's a level of planning few bother with.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Gloabal roaming at $500 a minute would stop me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.