Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What are things you do when you travel that you are surprised others do not do?

What are things you do when you travel that you are surprised others do not do?

Old Apr 8, 18, 5:53 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New York and Vienna
Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Posts: 3,828
Question What are things you do when you travel that you are surprised others do not do?

This random thought crossed my mind

In my case, since I never check bags, I am often shocked when I travel with someone who checks a bag (yes, I admit I simply should be more selective about travel mates). I always have some kind of lounge/sleepwear for bedtime in case the pajamas provided aren't terribly nice (and I'm really shocked when some people say how nice they are, an example being the original AA pajamas), and unless there's a lounge that I really want to spend time in, I tend to arrive at the airport pretty close to departure time (and am dumbstruck when people tell me they are arriving two or three hours prior).
jspira is offline  
Old Apr 8, 18, 6:34 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: n.y.c.
Posts: 13,432
Originally Posted by jspira View Post
In my case, since I never check bags, I am often shocked when I travel with someone who checks a bag (yes, I admit I simply should be more selective about travel mates). I always have some kind of lounge/sleepwear for bedtime in case the pajamas provided aren't terribly nice (and I'm really shocked when some people say how nice they are, an example being the original AA pajamas), and unless there's a lounge that I really want to spend time in, I tend to arrive at the airport pretty close to departure time (and am dumbstruck when people tell me they are arriving two or three hours prior).
Huh?

Other than the additional time it takes, why would you pick a travel mate based on that?
nerd is offline  
Old Apr 8, 18, 6:38 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 499
OK, I'll bite. I am surprised at people who do not check bags and who do not arrive with lots of time before their flight.

To make this more objective we would need data on how many there are of either. I think the truth is that either is a personal preference with about equal numbers on both sides.
whughes3, trooper, muji and 11 others like this.
CALlegacy is offline  
Old Apr 8, 18, 6:57 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Aluminum, Hilton Aluminum
Posts: 874
I dunno, a lot of this is context specific.

I usually arrive early outbound since I don't want to miss the work conference, or a connection on the way to a vacation. I arrive less early on the way back.

I check a bag when I'm staying more than 4, or 5 days somewhere. I often don't if I am staying less.

Although it hasn't been mentioned yet I usually board with my group when I have a big carry on and board nearly last when I don't.
jspira and chrystinp like this.
highops is offline  
Old Apr 8, 18, 7:04 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: n.y.c.
Posts: 13,432
Originally Posted by jspira View Post
This random thought crossed my mind

In my case, since I never check bags, I am often shocked when I travel with someone who checks a bag (yes, I admit I simply should be more selective about travel mates). I always have some kind of lounge/sleepwear for bedtime in case the pajamas provided aren't terribly nice (and I'm really shocked when some people say how nice they are, an example being the original AA pajamas), and unless there's a lounge that I really want to spend time in, I tend to arrive at the airport pretty close to departure time (and am dumbstruck when people tell me they are arriving two or three hours prior).
I am dumbstruck when people don't realize that maybe you built in 20 minutes for traffic/subway delays, 15 minutes for bag check delays, 30 minutes for TSA fustercluck, and an additional 10 minutes to get food b/c your 6pm flight has only pretzels, and yes -- this is why you might have arrived 2h prior.
nerd is offline  
Old Apr 8, 18, 7:41 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Programs: AS 75K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,069
I'm surprised that so many people don't print out their boarding passes on paper. (At least, this is my assumption based on how many people scan their phone to board.)

I always go to great lengths to check in for my flight in advance and have a paper boarding pass to show. Among other things, this avoids having to maneuver an app on an expensive, battery-powered device with carry-on bags in tow. And unlike my phone, if I drop it, ruin it, or lose it, it's no big deal.

FWIW, I also print out my hotel and transportation confirmations for my entire trip, but I consider my boarding pass to be far more important to print out than any of those.
mikew99 is offline  
Old Apr 8, 18, 7:45 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,168
Originally Posted by jspira View Post
This random thought crossed my mind

In my case, since I never check bags, I am often shocked when I travel with someone who checks a bag (yes, I admit I simply should be more selective about travel mates). I always have some kind of lounge/sleepwear for bedtime in case the pajamas provided aren't terribly nice (and I'm really shocked when some people say how nice they are, an example being the original AA pajamas), and unless there's a lounge that I really want to spend time in, I tend to arrive at the airport pretty close to departure time (and am dumbstruck when people tell me they are arriving two or three hours prior).
I humble-brag. Much like you.
nerd, Statman, CDTraveler and 5 others like this.
Qwkynuf is offline  
Old Apr 8, 18, 8:48 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 33,517
Originally Posted by mikew99 View Post
I'm surprised that so many people don't print out their boarding passes on paper. (At least, this is my assumption based on how many people scan their phone to board.)

I always go to great lengths to check in for my flight in advance and have a paper boarding pass to show. Among other things, this avoids having to maneuver an app on an expensive, battery-powered device with carry-on bags in tow. And unlike my phone, if I drop it, ruin it, or lose it, it's no big deal.

FWIW, I also print out my hotel and transportation confirmations for my entire trip, but I consider my boarding pass to be far more important to print out than any of those.
Outbound it's easy to print them. Returning from a destination where you don't have access to a printer, though...
Tizzette, Frizzy, essthree and 2 others like this.
Loren Pechtel is offline  
Old Apr 8, 18, 9:00 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London & Sonoma CA
Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Posts: 8,574
I’ll bite. I am always shocked at the over-entitled people who hog the overhead space with three carry on bags (common in the USA, on UA at least) and who affect to be inconvenienced when I get something or other out of my very small bag on a 11 hour flight.

Also I hate the people who want me to close the window shade on a day flight so that they can watch some mindless drivel on the IFE (often adults watching comics).
lhrsfo is offline  
Old Apr 8, 18, 9:36 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Nashville,TN
Programs: AA Gold Elite
Posts: 343
Living in the USA I am surprised more people do not get TSA precheck.
Second pet peeve is those who neglect to put their liquids in appropriate size containers and also bring their oversized water/juice bottles.
sweetsleep is offline  
Old Apr 8, 18, 9:49 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ORD
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 16,354
Originally Posted by nerd View Post
Huh?

Other than the additional time it takes, why would you pick a travel mate based on that?
Drives me crazy. I could be home in my living room but instead Iím still at the airport waiting for my companionís stupid bag to appear.
rayfes likes this.
milepig is offline  
Old Apr 8, 18, 9:51 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ORD
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 16,354
Originally Posted by mikew99 View Post
I'm surprised that so many people don't print out their boarding passes on paper. (At least, this is my assumption based on how many people scan their phone to board.)

I always go to great lengths to check in for my flight in advance and have a paper boarding pass to show. Among other things, this avoids having to maneuver an app on an expensive, battery-powered device with carry-on bags in tow. And unlike my phone, if I drop it, ruin it, or lose it, it's no big deal.

FWIW, I also print out my hotel and transportation confirmations for my entire trip, but I consider my boarding pass to be far more important to print out than any of those.
Apple Wallet it my friend. One click and Iím good to go.
SoonerRed, Frizzy and DutchessPDX like this.
milepig is offline  
Old Apr 8, 18, 11:09 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: next to HAM
Programs: LH FTL, EB*G(1)
Posts: 852
I stopped doing the ...-thing -- which so many, also in here at FT, do.
It's people, some maybe on their first flight ever or just on holiday crazee, or the entitled ones pushing others around?
Many levels where I was feeling dumbstruck.

Chill out! Unless actual harm (physically) could be at stake, I will just come along.

Relaxed travels.
chrystinp likes this.
PAX_fips is offline  
Old Apr 8, 18, 11:32 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 14,798
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
Apple Wallet it my friend. One click and Iím good to go.
and if your phone inexplicable disappears or dies? paper BP is a pretty good backup
jrl767 is online now  
Old Apr 8, 18, 11:48 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYZ/MGA
Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 7,600
Originally Posted by CALlegacy View Post
OK, I'll bite. I am surprised at people who do not check bags and who do not arrive with lots of time before their flight.
The former can work well for short trips and makes up for lamentable delays by luggage handlers and stuff busted or missing, but the latter has never made sense. We know the risks of lineups and terrible security/immigration/traffic weather and yet people try to scrape by with 3 minutes to spare then want flat tire rules and freebie changes as compensation.

If it's near impossible to make it, get a later flight. I use the spiffs and benefits for fast tracking and all that but I still get to the airport in time to not worry about the formalities and enjoy a drink or two and a snack in a nice lounge with all that behind me.
ricktoronto is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: