Reload this Page >

Expensing Multi-City Trips

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expensing Multi-City Trips

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:55 pm

There are going to be a lot of contextual factors - what firm you're with (or self-employed), the type and demeanor of your clients, etc. But to me, the "cleanest" way to do it is just to book a bunch of one-ways. If the cost differential is an issue to the client then there are probably bigger problems.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
Depends entirely on how the contract / statement of work is structured. If you live in AUS and have clients in DFW, DEN and PHX that you're visiting in a week you seriously might have to book: AUS - DFW, DFW-AUS (Client One), AUS-DFW-DEN-DFW-AUS (Client Two), AUS-PHX-AUS (Client Three) instead of the FAR more efficient AUS-DFW-DEN-PHX-AUS (Which could be done entirely on AA as well). Not saying that makes SENSE, but I've had contracts structured to where it's required.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: none
Hard to believe, but as a consultant you can actually bill your client for LESS that the amount shown on the receipt (if they will allow it). Get two copies of the whole receipt, then bill each client for his pro-rated share. I never had a client who objected to paying less.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
Again, depends ENTIRELY on the specific contract / SOW. I have absolutely had clients who did NOT allow me to bill less than the amount on the receipt and required that I adhere to the very specific travel rules EVEN WHEN they cost more than doing it another way. I absolutely HAVE had clients who objected to paying less!

To go further, I've had clients who when a $5 discrepancy IN THEIR FAVOR emerged in billing required us to do a FULL accounting and presentation on the account for why that discrepancy occurred. All of these WERE billable hours, so that client spent tens of thousands of dollars to get explanation and justification for a $5 error in their favor. And ironically, the issue ended up being a fee was refunded back on a hotel bill so the final billing didn't match the zero balance bill the hotel provided and our accounting office billed off of the actuals from the Amex and not the receipt submitted.

Originally Posted by Allan38103
Hard to believe, but as a consultant you can actually bill your client for LESS that the amount shown on the receipt (if they will allow it). Get two copies of the whole receipt, then bill each client for his pro-rated share. I never had a client who objected to paying less.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As this is a more general topic and unrelated to a specific airline, it has been moved.

JDiver, Moderator
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:22 pm

I've priced it out on ITA Matrix right before booking. That does list price per leg and I'll submit a PDF and provide that if I'm trying to allocate across different clients.

More often than not, I'm either splitting it 50/50 or just doing one-ways.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
This thread makes me glad I got out of consulting.
ne52 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.