Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why aren't sleeping cars on overnight trains used more?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why aren't sleeping cars on overnight trains used more?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I live in a city which was once serviced by Amtrak. They eliminated that route a LONG time ago. If I wanted to take a train - which is fun - I'd have to fly to another city, figure out transportation from the airport to the train station and THEN get on the train.

I'd love to take a train across country - sleeper car or not - but it's just not an option any longer.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by Allan38103
Why not take AMTRAK more often than "every now and then"? The OP has answered his own question.
Because I book tickets at the last minute and the Amtrak overnight train that is on my most frequent route is pretty much always sold out if you try to book at the last minute or is $600 at the last minute (each way). So I actually didn't answer my own question. Next?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Sleeper trains still run between Scotland and England (as well as plenty of other places in Europe). But don’t worry, you’re not missing much - the only way to actually get any sleep on them is to have a skinful beforehand!
I see no problem with that.
Scots_Al and jrl767 like this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:24 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
Amtrak really doesn't have enough extra equipment to add any overnight trains or put more sleeping cars on existing trains. The current outstanding order for 25 more sleepers is probably still a couple years from first delivery. It is possible when this order is filled that a sleeper would be added to the existing overnight Northeast Corridor trains, but I see no hope for new overnight service.

Last edited by Maglev; Mar 4, 2018 at 6:43 pm
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
If there are city pairs that can be served by an overnight train leaving at bedtime and arriving before the start of the workday, why isn't there more ridership (in sleeping cars)?

Amtrak has a few overnight trains left, and they do a good business; Amtrak is expanding its sleeping car fleet. However, there are plenty of trips that are potentially served by overnight trains, but aren't, or overnight trains that have a few sleeping cars on them but not as many as I'd think. European countries, I hear, are paring back their night trains.

I would think that leaving a city at 10pm and arriving at 7am would be ideal, particularly as hours during the workday would not be wasted. I take Amtrak overnight trains every now and then and find them comfortable and convenient (although expensive).

What gives? Is the US travel mindset just focused on flying? Or are night trains not as ideal as I think they are?
For me, not using sleeper cars in the U.S. has to do solely with price. Sleeper cabins just aren't worth the price Amtrak asks for them. If the U.S. would reduce the subsidization of airlines and instead provide more support to Amtrak, maybe there'd be enough of an incentive for me.

In Europe, we took a sleeper on one trip decades ago. But I now know too many people who were robbed on sleeper cars, so I wouldn't dare do it in Europe anymore. Same goes for caravans on unsecured lots.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

a while back,(maybe 25 years ago) there was a NYC-dc sleeper. the train arrived in the middle of the night, but passengers were allow to sleep till mid morning. i never took that train, but i recall it was very popular.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by slawecki
a while back,(maybe 25 years ago) there was a NYC-dc sleeper. the train arrived in the middle of the night, but passengers were allow to sleep till mid morning. i never took that train, but i recall it was very popular.
I rode that train from Washington to Boston in coach in 1974, when it was called The Night Owl. It was later extended south to Newport News, and called The Twilight Shoreliner.

The overnight train on the Northeast Corridor (without a sleeper) now is Northeast Regional #'s 65, 66, & 67. The southbound train leaves Boston at 9:30 PM, New York at 3 am, Washington at 7 am, and arrives in Newport News at 11:15 am. Northbound, it leaves Newport News at 5:20 PM, Washington at 10:10 pm, New York at 2:41 am, and arrives in Boston at 7:58 am.

I think it is possible that a sleeper could be added to this train after the delivery of the new cars, but that is mostly my own wishful thinking. I do not think there would be a separate sleeper for occupancy in New York before / after the train time. I heard that there was no security for the sleeping passengers at Penn Station, and this might be a major problem nowadays.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
I live in a city which was once serviced by Amtrak. They eliminated that route a LONG time ago. If I wanted to take a train - which is fun - I'd have to fly to another city, figure out transportation from the airport to the train station and THEN get on the train.

I'd love to take a train across country - sleeper car or not - but it's just not an option any longer.
Same. I live in a metro area of 4.5 million people (12th largest in the US), and we haven't had Amtrak service since 1996. The reason why is one of the fundamental reasons why rail travel in the US just doesn't work as well as it could: The rail lines are privately owned by the freight companies, and they (Union Pacific) decided to abandon the line that runs west from Phoenix.

When in Europe I frequently travel by train because I do find it more enjoyable. However the price difference is usually very similar to flying, and it nearly always takes longer than flying. Last year I debated taking the Caledonian Sleeper to Edinburgh, but that negated the best part of train travel to me: looking out the window and enjoying the view.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Maglev
I think it is possible that a sleeper could be added to this train after the delivery of the new cars, but that is mostly my own wishful thinking. I do not think there would be a separate sleeper for occupancy in New York before / after the train time. I heard that there was no security for the sleeping passengers at Penn Station, and this might be a major problem nowadays.
The last few times I've been in Penn Station there was a great deal of security on the concourse level, and passengers must show a ticket to descend to train level. It isn't the same as security directly on a train, but does greatly limit the access thieves might have to enter the train.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
The last few times I've been in Penn Station there was a great deal of security on the concourse level, and passengers must show a ticket to descend to train level. It isn't the same as security directly on a train, but does greatly limit the access thieves might have to enter the train.
The comment I heard was that security was absent on the platform where the car was located--that is, a special security person was needed for just this (these) car(s).
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:06 pm

One of those night trains we thought about doing is Thello (Paris - Venice), especially as they introduced the premium cabin with private shower/toilet last year. It would be just for the journey though; flying is cheaper I think.

https://www.thello.com/en/paris-venice/
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:33 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Well, the sleeper trains I've taken in Europe (with "couchettes") were pretty awful. I'd rather a coach seat in an airline. If they actually had tiny private cabins (like you see in old movies), that might be different.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Well, the sleeper trains I've taken in Europe (with "couchettes") were pretty awful. I'd rather a coach seat in an airline. If they actually had tiny private cabins (like you see in old movies), that might be different.
There certainly are private cabins on certain services, Moscow-Berlin-Paris being an example that I took last year in a very comfortable cabin for 1.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Sleeper trains can be a superior option on some routes. For example, in China you can get on a high-speed sleeper train in Beijing around 8h30pm and arrive in Shenzhen around 7am the next morning.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: *G
They're not that ideal or competitive.

The overnight train from Vienna to Zurich or Venice is ~9pm departure with 8am arrival. Seemingly perfect schedule for night service.

Cost is:
70 EUR for basic 4-bed couchette cabin;
130 for a nicer 2-bed cabin;
150 for 2-bed with mini sink/shower;
170 for a single cabin;

I can see a backpacker taking the first option to optimize time/cost/train experience, as part of a larger trip.

I've done the 2-bed cabins as a last-minute travel option. They're decently comfortable. But in no other circumstances does it beat a quick flight and sleeping in a real room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.