Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What would you do in an emergency evacuation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What would you do in an emergency evacuation?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Your question re why weren't they charged is probably the first sensible comment you've made. The laws definitely exist under which it could happen, they aren't 'presumptions' at all. I suspect that like many things, it's simply a question of no one having made the decision to enforce the laws in this case for various reasons. It may well be that again like many things, it will take deaths directly attributable to this behaviour to get the public riled up enough and through that, enough pressure on officials to have people charged. Sadly, that is what it seems to take for a lot of things to be dealt with these days.

As for insulting you, it was not my intention to insult you. It was my intention to ask the question I asked . Either you are simple minded or you are being deliberately obtuse. I see no other possibility. Perhaps you are simple minded and actually believe what you are saying, perhaps you are being deliberately obtuse and know that what you are saying is nonsense, you just want to troll. Either way, it would be good to know which applies. If you are simple minded, perhaps you can be helped to see the light. If you are being deliberately obtuse, then everyone would know to ignore you. Help us out here, which is it?
Right... because wanting to calmly make a rational decision based on all of the facts for a given situation as opposed to charging through the aisle and barreling through anyone in my way like a panicked madman without any thought as to the true urgency is clearly being simple minded...

Help us out here... are you just simple minded or being deliberately obtuse?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
I already have my passport, wallet, phone, and airline ID in my pockets. I have a small (amenity kit size) bag that I call my 'grab bag' - whistle, tiny first aid kit, pen, etc., that I have in easy reach, if not on me during TTOL.

Now, this may sound silly, but I've actually practiced what I hope I would be able to do. (1) Make sure my wife is in front of me and on her way to the exit. (2) Start yelling along with the crew to *MOVE, MOVE, MOVE, LEAVE YOUR BELONGINGS, LEAVE YOUR BELONGINGS, MOVE, MOVE, MOVE, LEAVE YOUR BELONGINGS, LEAVE YOUR BELONGINGS…* while making my own way to the exit. If I can save someone else's life along the way, I believe I would try.

I'd like one day to attend one of the British Airways safety course they run for the public, using the equipment crew train on. https://www.britishairways.com/en-fr...fety-awareness
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by JAXBA
I already have my passport, wallet, phone, and airline ID in my pockets. I have a small (amenity kit size) bag that I call my 'grab bag' - whistle, tiny first aid kit, pen, etc., that I have in easy reach, if not on me during TTOL.

Now, this may sound silly, but I've actually practiced what I hope I would be able to do. (1) Make sure my wife is in front of me and on her way to the exit. (2) Start yelling along with the crew to *MOVE, MOVE, MOVE, LEAVE YOUR BELONGINGS, LEAVE YOUR BELONGINGS, MOVE, MOVE, MOVE, LEAVE YOUR BELONGINGS, LEAVE YOUR BELONGINGS…* while making my own way to the exit. If I can save someone else's life along the way, I believe I would try.

I'd like one day to attend one of the British Airways safety course they run for the public, using the equipment crew train on. https://www.britishairways.com/en-fr...fety-awareness
I've asked a similar question before, unsurprisingly to no response...

Did you do the same thing in college every time someone left their Ramen in the microwave too long and set off the fire alarm?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: HH Silver
I am surprised at the number of people that fly with all that stuff in their pockets. First thing I do when I sit down is empty out my pockets. In my toiletry bag goes everything I own.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by tatterdema
I am surprised at the number of people that fly with all that stuff in their pockets. First thing I do when I sit down is empty out my pockets. In my toiletry bag goes everything I own.
My phone and wallet are in my pockets most of the time anyway so it's no inconvenience while flying. Another benefit is to reduce the risk of theft on flights where you might be sleeping. It's your stuff to put where you want providing you do not delay other passengers while attempting to retrieve your toiletry bag in the event of an emergency evacuation.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by kb9522
I've asked a similar question before, unsurprisingly to no response...

Did you do the same thing in college every time someone left their Ramen in the microwave too long and set off the fire alarm?
Hopefully this answers that unscratched itch...

No, I'd be the one heading towards the dorm emergency to evaluate and respond as appropriate, including calming the situation. A self-appointed first responder if you like. I was a Scout after all...

The thread is 'What would you do in an emergency evacuation?' not 'what would you do in a situation where everyone had to use the evacuation slides but otherwise everything is okay?'

In an emergency I'd be helping the crew and encouraging everyone to leave without stopping for stuff. If there was no need for urgency then I wouldn't be urgent…
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Badenoch
My phone and wallet are in my pockets most of the time anyway so it's no inconvenience while flying. Another benefit is to reduce the risk of theft on flights where you might be sleeping. It's your stuff to put where you want providing you do not delay other passengers while attempting to retrieve your toiletry bag in the event of an emergency evacuation.
Nope, it fits nicely under my arm rest, no delay. Lol, I do not even keep my wallet in my pocket in the car, let alone a long plane ride. Bad sciatic nerve would make me unable to walk after even a 3 hour flight.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by JAXBA
Hopefully this answers that unscratched itch...

No, I'd be the one heading towards the dorm emergency to evaluate and respond as appropriate, including calming the situation. A self-appointed first responder if you like. I was a Scout after all...

The thread is 'What would you do in an emergency evacuation?' not 'what would you do in a situation where everyone had to use the evacuation slides but otherwise everything is okay?'

In an emergency I'd be helping the crew and encouraging everyone to leave without stopping for stuff. If there was no need for urgency then I wouldn't be urgent…
You mean even though there was an emergency in the dorm (after all, how could you POSSIBLY have all the info, right?)... You didn't barrel through or push people down the stairs? Wowwww....

It's almost like understanding what is happening and reacting calmly and appropriately for the situation is the intelligent thing to do. Hmmmm.

Thanks for the laugh about the self appointed first responder with all of your professional experience as a scout, by the way... I don't think my sides have hurt this much in a long time!
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522
It's almost like understanding what is happening and reacting calmly and appropriately for the situation is the intelligent thing to do. Hmmmm.
Exactly.

Thanks for the laugh about the self appointed first responder with all of your professional experience as a scout, by the way... I don't think my sides have hurt this much in a long time!
Yw!

I know, you're mocking me, but that's okay...
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:45 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

This thread has wandered all over the place and there are so many uncivil exchanges that the best course of action is to lock the thread
Obscure2K
TravelBuzz Moderator
PTravel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.