Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Horizontally challenged

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Horizontally challenged

I did a research on searchguru about seat widths in business class ( economy class is no question already booking I am already booking 2 seats, if I have luck, armrests are movable, and the seats are conjoined);
Large meaning tall people have their emergency seat, and seat pitch in some business class are nice for them, but what we horizontally challenged people who loves flying are in . Even a simple return flight is a problem, award booking requires luck on Gods level.
Second what I see based on seatguru only 10 Airlines has at least 26" in business class, and a surprise 4 of them are Chinese (CZ,CI,BR,MF), 3 european(SU,IB,BA), 1 singaporean (SQ),korean(OZ),african(KQ) and 0 US. Is that record right a measure between inner sides of armrests? Where are big US/EU airlines ? Only United is the with their short haul embraer with 24". I would expected more wider seats in US.
May I deny the flight and get back money or rebook on a more suitable flight when I cant fit into in business class seat?
Last time this happened to me I was downgraded to economy with a whole row without any service with no compensation. I dont think its right.
In Europe I travel now with high speed trains, but also on those are changing to crappy airline economy budget seats, so I must travel overnight
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
It's a little unclear, but are you asking if you can cancel the ticket and get a refund if, upon boarding the flight, you find at that point that the seat won't accommodate you?

Also, you mention 26" seat width - is that the minimum you require or are you just noting the widest seat dimensions you could find?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I would get the United 24" E-175 seat independently confirmed. I was posting elsewhere today that the E-175 is a fantastic short-haul airplane, in part because the 1x2 config in F is quite roomy. But that's 3-4" wider than most F seats on E-175's on other airlines, or 9 to 12 inches of total aisle space unless United has some unusually slim seat design (in terms of the total width of the entire seat for a given amount of actual buttspace). In other words, I immediately wonder if Seatguru has it wrong.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:23 pm

Seatguru data is wrong often enough to require great skepticism.

Also, there isn't a good industry standard for seat width the way there is for pitch.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
UA's site claims 20" on the E-175 and 24" on the E-170. 24" seems hard to believe.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...5/default.aspx

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...0/default.aspx
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by pinniped
I would get the United 24" E-175 seat independently confirmed. I was posting elsewhere today that the E-175 is a fantastic short-haul airplane, in part because the 1x2 config in F is quite roomy. But that's 3-4" wider than most F seats on E-175's on other airlines, or 9 to 12 inches of total aisle space unless United has some unusually slim seat design (in terms of the total width of the entire seat for a given amount of actual buttspace). In other words, I immediately wonder if Seatguru has it wrong.
I completely agree. AA has the same configuration in their E175s and are 3 or 4 inches narrower in first according to seat guru. Also, according to SeatGuru United Polaris First on a 744 or 777 is 22 inches wide. I’m really skeptical of the 24 inch SeatGuru number on E175s.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero
It's a little unclear, but are you asking if you can cancel the ticket and get a refund if, upon boarding the flight, you find at that point that the seat won't accommodate you?

Also, you mention 26" seat width - is that the minimum you require or are you just noting the widest seat dimensions you could find?
is my minimum requirement to travel as human if I pay 2-3k€ for a ticket in advance purchase.
I can squeeze into 22" but that's not comfortable (over 4-5 hours), 24" is doable , but 26" or more is ideal for long-haul.
Sadly I can't travel everywhere with Singapore Airlines they have my dream seats (on long-hauls), and VIE is not served by them so I must travel by train either to FRA/ZRH/MXP
Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak

I completely agree. AA has the same configuration in their E175s and are 3 or 4 inches narrower in first according to seat guru. Also, according to SeatGuru United Polaris First on a 744 or 777 is 22 inches wide. I’m really skeptical of the 24 inch SeatGuru number on E175s.

I am skeptical about all seat width datas on the internet, if I didn't tried it before. That why ask here.
My longhaul C experience is mainly SQ(many), EK(medium hauls via DXB), TK (IST-SIN), but now I am planning to see US and Caribics , I can get to NYC on SQ without detour via SIN, but from there I dont see any options, maybe somebodz more experienced can help, otherwise I have to choose a cruise ship TATL+Caribics, which is too much time and money
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero

Yes, if they can't accomodate me safely (I can't sit down/squeeze in C class) or downgrade me because of my size am I entitled to deny boarding and refund /compensation for downgrade. I don't know if is there some legal act for non-US disabled people

Last edited by kobolcs; Dec 20, 2017 at 12:11 am
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:26 am

Can't you check with the airline(s) first?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:42 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Those of us who aren’t “horizontally challenged” don’t simply have our size handed to us.

i work out for an hour a day from 5:45am to 6:45am during the workweek, and usually an hour a day on weekends, and pass up a lot of good food. That keeps me from being “horizontally challenged”.

Would you prefer to have to deal with that regimen? Or would you prefer a less-comfortable flight every now and then? The latter, which is the choice you’ve made, is definitely an easier and likely more enjoyable choice.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by kobolcs
I am skeptical about all seat width datas on the internet, if I didn't tried it before. That why ask here.
My longhaul C experience is mainly SQ(many), EK(medium hauls via DXB), TK (IST-SIN), but now I am planning to see US and Caribics , I can get to NYC on SQ without detour via SIN, but from there I dont see any options, maybe somebodz more experienced can help, otherwise I have to choose a cruise ship TATL+Caribics, which is too much time and money
Actually, you can get to NYC on SQ - on their 5th freedom flight from FRA.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Those of us who aren’t “horizontally challenged” don’t simply have our size handed to us.

i work out for an hour a day from 5:45am to 6:45am during the workweek, and usually an hour a day on weekends, and pass up a lot of good food. That keeps me from being “horizontally challenged”.

Would you prefer to have to deal with that regimen? Or would you prefer a less-comfortable flight every now and then? The latter, which is the choice you’ve made, is definitely an easier and likely more enjoyable choice.

I prefer travel as comfortable as possible, but I am not a sheik to own a boeing777 customized to my needs.

Last edited by kobolcs; Dec 20, 2017 at 4:19 am
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Actually, you can get to NYC on SQ - on their 5th freedom flight from FRA.
Yes, I know also to GRU - flight via BCN
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Can't you check with the airline's) first?
Checked only one airline has a specific program for specific needs that is Air France Sapfir
Which I need to try out in C.
All others pricing 2x fare+taxes. for two seats

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.