Community
Wiki Posts
Search

missing out cause you're flying premium

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Between flying premium classes and getting lounge access, and Priority Pass when I am not, I realized I miss out on many things in airports and on planes.
Some airports, like Singapore's Changi, are wonderful and have so many things to do. Video games, movie screenings, lily and butterfly and cactus gardens. But I don't explore anymore. I just head to the lounges.
Lounges aren't mandatory, if you feel like exploring, you certainly can. Though even in SIN you eventually run out of things to do, and that's one of the nice airports.
Still when I can, I prefer to wait in the (relative) calm of the lounges. At least I get to sit in a comfy chair instead of a metal bench. If I want to go see something specific at an airport, be it a viewing deck, or just to check out how connections work, I still can. I just do it before I head for the lounge.

Originally Posted by s0ssos
And on flights, even though the big seat upfront is nice, you miss out on interesting passengers (seated in economy last time on a domestic US flight I encountered a strange experience with a lady asking to plug her headphones into my laptop. Something that I could never imagine would happen upfront), the view outside (first in some airlines blocks out your windows), edutainment (Berlitz anyone?) which is like a blast from the past.

I guess you cannot have it all.
The thing is, in economy, you can just as easily have a nice and interesting seatmate, as you can a weirdly smelling semi-coherent intent conversationist. I'll happily trade that for some extra personal space.
Even then, most people who will sit next to you in economy will do nothing, except be too close to you for a couple of hours (by design, not by trying). Premium economy or business is a welcome respite from that, whenever I can get on such a flight.
Window wise, yeah, having view is nicer than not having view, but there are more important things than that. Sometimes, the only thing I'm really missing about my usual window seat is the ability to rest my head on the cabin wall and nap.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: Independent
Personally, I find it much harder to hold a decent conversation with my seatmate when we are both squished up against each other silently suffering and fighting over an armrest than in first. And for all the interesting people I have met in economy, I have met many many more whom I think it better NOT to have a conversation with.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
About 10 years ago, a friend and I, who were both EXPs on AA were both flying STL -LGA on some weekday in the fall. We had both been wondering why our upgrades weren’t clearing and I finally was told first had checked in full and to board. I get back to my seat in the exit row and my friend was in the same row. He saw me and said, “what the *$&# just happened to us.”. For both of us it was the only upgrade we missed that year. But we had a nice chat.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Dec 15, 2017 at 9:22 am
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:24 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
The guys are certainly hotter in the back of the plane. Not so much in road warrior upgrade class.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Same with the girls, unfortunately
Old Dec 17, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I fly to get from Point A to Point B. I fly in first/business class and have lounge access to get from Point A to Point B as comfortably as possible, and so that I can get stuff done while on the plane and at the airport.

I never have even considered that I could be missing out by not flying coach and waiting in the regular part of the airport. If I were missing out, I'd just spend 10 minutes seeing the amazing thing at the airport on the way to the lounge.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I fly to get from Point A to Point B. I fly in first/business class and have lounge access to get from Point A to Point B as comfortably as possible, and so that I can get stuff done while on the plane and at the airport.

I never have even considered that I could be missing out by not flying coach and waiting in the regular part of the airport. If I were missing out, I'd just spend 10 minutes seeing the amazing thing at the airport on the way to the lounge.
Yea, you miss out on a lot. Of life in general.

I recall wandering Changi airport at night, stumbling into the butterfly garden, and standing there watching them come out of the coccoons. Never seen it in real life before. Really cool.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sethweinstein
Wow...I haven't flown ANA in F so I had to look up a picture. That's some sloppy design, with the equipment blocking two of three windows including the one most visible from the seat. Thanks for the warning!

Seth
Most people in first don't care. I find more people craning their head out of the window (figuratively) in economy than up in front.
You also cannot see as well from first, because your seat is farther away from the window so you cannot press your face against the window for a better view.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:26 am

I haven't felt like I've missed out at all. I generally give myself enough time to explore the airport (when desired) as well as visit the lounge. And I've found people in the front to be just as fascinating as the people in the back. Actually I find it easier to strike up a conversation with fellow passengers up front because it's generally more relaxed. Also, I've never experienced my windows being blocked out. They may have an electronic shade that goes down but I'm always in charge of the controls. I'll stick to the front of the plane and spare my back, thanks!
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Agreeing on the merits on Singapore's Changi, as many other travellers do, year after year. I need to say that IMHO the number of really cool airports in the world, worthwile a longer walkabout just to discover things, are really limited
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles
For solo travel on a plane it's a game of chance. There's a small chance of having a great seat mate next to you. If you're younger your odds of having that great seat mate (for what it means to you) are better in economy, if you're older your odds are better at the front of the plane. The front guarantees that if you don't have that great seat mate, you'll at least be comfortable.

As as for the lounge, always check out the terminal first before going to the lounge. For me, I'm not much of a shopper so even the fancier terminals don't do much for me, and bar hopping and socializing airside don't seem to be a thing in Asia or Europe so I end up in the lounge anyway - but not for lack of trying.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pewpew
Same with the girls, unfortunately
I’m married now, so no longer interested in meeting any ladies. In my current situation, my wife lives in Asia and I live in LA, so I’m constantly commuting back and forth between LA and HK and at this point, I’ve seen pretty much everything HK Airport has to offer and have zero interest in visiting the shops anymore. I’ve also found that much of the stuff I would want to buy are usually very high end specialized equipment that an airport store would not carry and even if they do, I don’t have any space in my bags to carry it.

Thus, all I want is to be able to commute back and forth in peace, and given my frequent travels, it is quite exhausting and all I want to do is to go to the lounge and refresh with a nice hot shower and relax on their couches. Also grab a nice meal in the lounges (keeps my airport spending down) and when it’s time to board, get on my flight.

Yes, earlier in the year I lingered longer than necessary at Changi to go look around and it’s a nice airport, but it’s still an airport. I didn’t see one item at any of the stores that made me want to buy it.

Just like I’ve been to HKG so many times now that I don’t even bother with sightseeing. I go there to be with my wife as much as I can before I have to come back to my job. I’m looking forward to when she moves to LA, then I can put this commuting behind me.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: Independent
I've never really understood the idea of major retail shops in airports. I suppose it is something to do, but who buys stuff while flying? How do you carry it around? I could see showrooms for something you might buy later, or travel necessities, luggage for instance, or clothing. But other large items?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Cloudship
but who buys stuff while flying?
Enough people that those shops - and the airports - all make a lot of money from the activity. It is big business. Especially for people headed to countries where the selection and availability is limited or where there are significant import duties.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
I flew out of PDX for the first time in a while last week. As the lounge available was the soul-destroying United Lounge, I went to the Brewhouse for a beer and a bite to eat. Very civilised and friendly and well worth the few dollars it cost.

Admittedly in the larger/busier airports, as I'm not a shopper, it's straight to the lounge for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.