Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Business class: should i pretend I've been there before?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business class: should i pretend I've been there before?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Enjoy it and have fun. I’ve flown in business a lot but not recently. I couldn’t get the Bose earphones plugged into the socket. When I flight attendant came by I said “I know this is really stupid but I can’t remember how these headphones get plugged in. She took the plug and plugged it in somewhere else that was out of sight from the seat. I said I don’t even remember where they plug in I guess. We both laughed and she said a lot of people can’t find it. Message is don’t try to pretend, just enjoy.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Be the change you want to see in the world
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
When I fly a new airline in international business class, I do some google research for flight reviews on that particular city pair, airline and plane (it makes a big difference). Reviews of almost any longhaul flight with pictures, menus, lounge reviews and the rest can be found on the web. That way you can be prepared to maximize the experience.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by BuddhaExplores
Definitely geek out! Many first timers have the issue of deciding whether they need to "fit in" or just relax and enjoy yourself - in my opinion "fitting in" is overrated! Plus, if the FAs know it's your first time, they'll make the extra effort to make it special - I'm sure the fact that you're polite and actually happy is a refreshing thing for them too
My tidbit of advice is, since that you are going for work - you might want to make sure you do get the rest you need - hope you enjoy it!
This is a really good suggestion. I generally find that the flight attendants reciprocate pleasantness and will go out of their way to assist you. About 8 or 10 years ago my wife and I took her parents to England for their 50th anniversary. We put them in first and my wife and I in business. I knew the purser, but I don't think it would have mattered, and I took her aside during boarding and pointed out my in-laws and told her my wife's parents were in first and had never been there before and asked her to look out a bit for them. She said not to worry she would take very good care of them and she did. Be honest and pleasant and in the vast majority of cases people will reciprocate.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
To paraphrase the late actress Beatrice Campbell, you can do whatever you want as long as you don't frighten the horses. Within ten minutes of settling into your seat you will have a good sense of what you want to do. Just do it.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Do whatever you want (disclaimer: as long as it's legal and doesn't impact other guests).
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I just sort of hunker down since I view flying as mostly a necessary evil that gets me where I need to be. Mrs. Milepig instantly starts to play with all the buttons, tests our the IFE system, reviews available movies, reads the menu, etc. I'd say we're both treated about the same.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You could do something in the middle and say this is your first time your experiencing J on this aircraft/airline so you can ask all the questions you want about the seat/controls/amenities. Nobody needs to know that you have no other experience.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Definitely geek out a little. (Quietly.) Nobody else is going to notice anyway. I've flown J on a few different airlines and types and I still enjoy a new product and yes, geek out a little. Flew the Emirates A380 a few weeks ago and made several trips to the bar. Not because I was getting hammered, but because I could walk to a freaking bar... (Sometimes I'd just go back there for a water and the snack stuff they put out.)

I sample whatever I think is the best wine or liquor the given cabin has, but always chase with a lot of water.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
The first time I flew TATL J I decided to take full advantage of it and sampled everything the FAs offered including drinks in the lounge, PDBs, in-flight drinks, wine with dinner, post meal drinks, etc. The end result was waking up with a brutally throbbing headache that was worse than anything I've experienced on land. I think I would have had a better rest had I been in Y and just had 7-Up instead
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Well, since I just discovered that I'll be 6 months pregnant on this trip I think I'll have to focus on the nice big seat more than the available liquor selection!

Thanks for all the comments, FT-regulars. I'm prepared to exhibit just the right combination of wide-eyed innocence and cool BTDT-attitude.
heraclitus and ajGoes like this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by buckybadger
I'm booked into my first business class cabin TATL in June 2018. Flying solo, hence the ability to upgrade without breaking the bank. Probably won't have an opportunity to fly business again for many years.

What's the best way to play it to have the best experience? I'm not sure if i should be cool and pretend like i do that all the time, or am i allowed to geek out a little about the whole experience.

Will the flight attendants think I'm a total boob and treat me differently if I'm grinning like a fool and playing with the gagets in my seat?
Do whatever you want. Stop worrying about what other people think of you.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wear comfortable clothes for sleeping. make a small pack for your toys, and put them in the seatback. bring lightweight house slippers to put on, and also to wear when using one of the latrines. they get very ugly on a long trip. order a champagne when you first sit down. have a second befor ethe meal starts(the glasses are small). bring a sweater to your seat. bring a book, or an iPad(best) of books to read. the plane is always way too hot, or way to cold. if you plan to sleep part way, get a sleep mask, and a pair of ear plugs. you might be able to see something out of window on takeoff, but once at 35000 feet, nothing to see.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by buckybadger
Well, since I just discovered that I'll be 6 months pregnant on this trip I think I'll have to focus on the nice big seat more than the available liquor selection!

Thanks for all the comments, FT-regulars. I'm prepared to exhibit just the right combination of wide-eyed innocence and cool BTDT-attitude.
Congratulations and enjoy it. The trouble is that it's very difficult to go back to flying in the back.
lightwalker likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:11 am
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Congratulations and enjoy it. The trouble is that it's very difficult to go back to flying in the back.
This!

International business and first has ruined me.
lightwalker likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.