Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Business class: should i pretend I've been there before?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:59 am
Original Poster

I'm booked into my first business class cabin TATL in June 2018. Flying solo, hence the ability to upgrade without breaking the bank. Probably won't have an opportunity to fly business again for many years.

What's the best way to play it to have the best experience? I'm not sure if i should be cool and pretend like i do that all the time, or am i allowed to geek out a little about the whole experience.

Will the flight attendants think I'm a total boob and treat me differently if I'm grinning like a fool and playing with the gagets in my seat?
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
If you want to go like a pro........do what I do........get drunk in the lounge, skip dinner, recline your flat bed right after take off, earplugs and eye mask on and go to sleep.

Make sure you ask the FA to wake you for breakfast.

Last edited by KDS777; Dec 12, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Geek out! Enjoy the experience from start to finish. The FA's will probably enjoy your enthusiasm. They are used to the 'been there, done that and I will criticize your every move because you aren't fawning over me' crowd. I find a little bit of enthusiasm and enjoyment of the experience goes a long way.

I have flown J a bit, but have never flown or been to Spain until my last trip with Iberia. My enthusiasm about it being my first time on IB led the flight attendants to start making me try all the Spanish wines. They picked up on my newness to their product and country and wanted to make the experience extra special.

So I say go for it and enjoy!
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:25 am
aih

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Do what you want to do without disturbing those around you.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KDS777
Make sure you ask the FA wake you for breakfast.
You missed the "not" in that line. As in make sure to ask the FA to NOT wake you for breakfast. At least assuming that sleep is the reason you're going for business class.

For the OP, geek out all you want. Don't get so drunk that you're disruptive and don't get in the way of the crew. Otherwise enjoy the experience however you want to do so.
NoTravelIsFree likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Unless you're loud or obnoxious, absolutely nobody is paying any attention to you.

This is true in virtually all situations.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Geek out! Enjoy the experience from start to finish. The FA's will probably enjoy your enthusiasm. They are used to the 'been there, done that and I will criticize your every move because you aren't fawning over me' crowd. I find a little bit of enthusiasm and enjoyment of the experience goes a long way.
Acting like you've been there before isn't the same as being a jaded, spoiled jerk about it. Similarly, OP can show enthusiasm and enjoyment, as you recommend, without acting like a rube about it. I recommend acting like a mature and experienced traveler who maybe isn't 100% familiar with everything on offer. Ask reasonable questions when you're not sure. Be polite and courteous (but not fawning) at all times.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Just enjoy it. My first solo trip on Asiana from ORD SEOUL-nrt was great. I settled in and skipped dinner. Slept and watched videos. The apple pancakes at breakfast were delicious. I told the FA these were the best things I had ever eaten on an airplane. The lounge at sell was cool too. The fresh cooked eggs were delicious. Enjoyed the cereal too.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm flying business class fairly regularly now. Don't ask me to behave as though I don't love the experience.
goodeats21 and bitterproffit like this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by sbm12
You missed the "not" in that line. As in make sure to ask the FA to NOT wake you for breakfast. At least assuming that sleep is the reason you're going for business class.
Well that depends, doesn't it, on how good the welcome lounge is.

For the matter of topic, I haven't yet been in business class on longhaul. But I can't imagine FAs being anything less than mildly amused by your enthusiasm. In all likelyhood, they'll try to make the experience even more enjoyable for you..
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Not sure what airline you are flying but there are definitely FAs out there who will go out of their way to make it a special experience if they know it is your first time in J. For many FAs working the J cabin can be a tough draw because you have the entitled passengers who act like entitled jerks towards the FAs so it can be a nice breath of fresh air to have someone in J who is genuinely excited and appreciative of the experience and the service. Just don't get drunk and turn into a jerk - otherwise should be a great experience.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:00 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by Duke787
Not sure what airline you are flying but there are definitely FAs out there who will go out of their way to make it a special experience if they know it is your first time in J. For many FAs working the J cabin can be a tough draw because you have the entitled passengers who act like entitled jerks towards the FAs so it can be a nice breath of fresh air to have someone in J who is genuinely excited and appreciative of the experience and the service. Just don't get drunk and turn into a jerk - otherwise should be a great experience.
for the best experience wear you Pjs and slippers when you exit the plane and pick up your baggage at the claim
Dave737 and Flamenguista like this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:28 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I think it depends on the airline. For my first few J trips, I was as giddy as a child. The FAs noticed, and really helped me make the most of the experience (this was on JAL). There are other airlines where I wouldn't want to stand out at all to the crew, including using the call button on a US airline.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:57 pm

Definitely geek out! Many first timers have the issue of deciding whether they need to "fit in" or just relax and enjoy yourself - in my opinion "fitting in" is overrated! Plus, if the FAs know it's your first time, they'll make the extra effort to make it special - I'm sure the fact that you're polite and actually happy is a refreshing thing for them too
My tidbit of advice is, since that you are going for work - you might want to make sure you do get the rest you need - hope you enjoy it!
GadgetFreak and windscar like this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: *G
There's not much to geek over or be overwhelmed by. Your chair goes all the way down, there are extra reading lamps and charging ports, and the food is better.

FAs always offer if I want extra nut mix or items from appetizer and desert trolley. So if you want to sample everything, no need to be bashful about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.