Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Time it takes to pack & unpack, and any strategy for not having to repeat each time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time it takes to pack & unpack, and any strategy for not having to repeat each time?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
Just wondering... is there anyone out there who's nearly as slow as me in packing? If so, what do you think holds you up?
Yes. I mentioned earlier it takes me a week, but even if I use actual time rather than elapsed time we still might be close. I just don't see any point in hurrying when something can be done in a relaxed, take your time style. Nobody got a prize for packing a week's worth of clothes in a shoe box in less than 2 minutes - all they got was a step closer to an ulcer and a bit of raised blood pressure. Not worth it to me.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Disneymkvii
I wish I were a packing coach, my first client would be my wife.
My girlfriend is even more speedy and compact at packing than I am. She went to a conference in Africa for 10 days with just a messenger bag. It helps that she's much smaller than me, so the same number of clothes take that much less space. Since it was Africa in the summer, she didn't need warm clothes, and she could wash things in a sink on count on them drying in a few days.
Disneymkvii likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ysolde
The only "big" (still within the 311 rules) items I take from my bathroom are my sunscreen and my toothbrush.
This is a thing I always do, too, that's wrong: things like toothbrush and razor don't have to go in your 311 bag, since they don't contain liquid. We all get so conditioned to treat it as a toiletry bag that it's easy to forget that it's just the liquids that have to be in the 311. Solid deodorant, razor, toothbrush, nightguard, cold medicine, etc, can all go in something else that doesn't come out at the checkpoint, so if you're tight on space in the 311, pull those things out.

Of course the 311 bag 10 feet away from me in the hotel room where I'm at has both my razor and toothbrush...

I even have a separate toothbrush that stays in the 311 - I get packs of them at costco in case guests forget to bring them, and just put one in the ziploc. I also usually have a few dental hygiene packs with a toothbrush, floss, and paste in the car so I can grab them as I get out at the airport if I forgot.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesLyle
The dirty underwear and socks goes in a cloth laundry bag and when i leave I repack shirts and pants in the cubes and i'm ready to go. the laundry bag is at the bottom.
If you put the worn shirts and pants back into the cubes, then do you wash these cubes before the next trip then? If so, do you throw it in the washer machine? I went to Eagle Creek's Specter webpage but they don't say anything about how to clean it.

Originally Posted by PAX_fips
at packing cubes: some can compress (by zipper), too. also the pack-it spectr from eagle-creek are superlight.
Originally Posted by Katja
Ordinary packing cubes will compress as much as the stuff in them will compress. I originally thought packing cubes added too much weight, but then discovered the Eagle Creek Specter cubes and use them all the time now. Super light!
Okay, Specter shall be the one I get.

Originally Posted by ft101
Nobody got a prize for packing a week's worth of clothes in a shoe box in less than 2 minutes
LOL!
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by ft101
I just don't see any point in hurrying when something can be done in a relaxed, take your time style. Nobody got a prize for packing a week's worth of clothes in a shoe box in less than 2 minutes - all they got was a step closer to an ulcer and a bit of raised blood pressure. Not worth it to me.
My style is your style, and I agree!
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:39 pm

If you put the worn shirts and pants back into the cubes, then do you wash these cubes before the next trip then? If so, do you throw it in the washer machine? I went to Eagle Creek's Specter webpage but they don't say anything about how to clean it.
I just throw the Specter cubes in the washing machine. I wash them cold and gentle, but I wash everything cold and gentle.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: none
OP, you're GROSSLY overthinking this. For everyone else, the question was about HOW to pack, not WHAT. Imagine if it took only five minutes to pack, but an hour to get up all your stuff. And if you could cut your packing time 20 %, you would only cut the overall process from 65 minutes to 64. Big deal. No one can begin to tell you what to pack, because no one else knows you, where you're going, how long, what you're doing, and most of all your personal habits.

The best way to pack - after you decide what to bring - is to just pack until its done. A shirt takes up exactly as much volume if it's rolled, flat, folded in thirds, fifths, or whatever, stored on top or in the middle. Same for books, cameras, all clothes. The only difference is maybe shoes, and if you can't figure out how to roll smaller things into the toes you probably shouldn't be traveling alone anyway. Pack any way you want, by size, age, color, or whatever. It's YOUR stuff and no one else will notice or care..
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA
I think it's good advice to have a toiletry bag and an electronics bag (chargers, cables) always ready to go for each person.

What I personally don't think is very easy to do in advance is pack clothes. I guess some people can set aside clothes for travel in advance, but I usually like to plan to wear the clothes I've been enjoying wearing lately. whch means they're out, in my closet, dresser, laundry, and have to be gradually gathered and selected for packing. I agree with the person who said something like they drop items in the open suitcase as they pass by. Then there's what else in the area of clothes/shoes/coats needs to be packed for a trip where the weather/activities/etc. will be different. I don't mind if this sorting process is spread out over a few days prior to my trip.

I just got back from a part of the country where the temperature was 25 deg F colder than here. I had to take twice as many coats, boots, and warm clothes as I'd have needed if I'd stayed home. Next week I'm going somewhere where it's 25 deg F warmer, and I'll have to do similar calculations in reverse. I'd rather think about those needs calmly over the course of a couple of evenings than try to do it all in 20 minutes and almost invariably get some of it wrong. I am one of those zen-mode packers: I pack over the course of a few days prior to a trip, I like to have a staging area, and I try to get all my laundry done before a trip and then decide what in the clean laundry I want to take.If other people like to be able to grab-and-go, good for them, but it's just not me.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Allan38103
The best way to pack - after you decide what to bring - is to just pack until its done. A shirt takes up exactly as much volume if it's rolled, flat, folded in thirds, fifths, or whatever, stored on top or in the middle. Same for books, cameras, all clothes.
The difference is what the shirt looks like when it comes back out of the suitcase. Folded carefully the shirt looks fine, no ironing needed. Crammed into a corner with other stuff compressing it and it looks like hell when you go to put it on. I find interlacing layers of larger items minimizes wrinkling so less maintenance is needed later. Minutes spent doing that mean fewer minutes dealing with problems later.
ysolde likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
In my vacation travel of SEA countries (no more than 7 days) my whole packing takes no more than 5 minutes. It is just underwear, socks, and duo-dry/athletic shirts. For business trips in EU/US, replace duo-dry with dress shirts and reave other stuff the same, plus add one more jacket. Travel suitcase (IT Luggage) weights no more than 5-7kg (with notebook computer), carry-on only.

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Rebelyell and sbm12, I use the 'Rule of 3s' for packing. It refers to items where you pack multiples like shirts, pants, socks, underwear, t-shirts, etc. The Rule is, 'one to wear, one to wash, one to spare.' It makes no difference how long you plan to be gone for, 3 days or 3 months, you pack the same amount.
I have the same approach as well, but I pack 4, because unfortunately most/sometimes it is not enough time washed pair to get it dry. In Vietnam and Bali cotton underwear did not get dry during the 24h.

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Learning to wash socks and underwear in a hotel sink in 5 minutes is a necessary life skill for a frequent traveller who travels for more than a few days at a time. It's just like getting into the habit of brushing your teeth before going to bed. Once it's a habit, you don't even notice it.
Thank you mom to forcing me to learn how to wash of my own underwear/socks in sink when I was 10.. Helped me a lot.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:17 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by cubbie
What I personally don't think is very easy to do in advance is pack clothes. I guess some people can set aside clothes for travel in advance, but I usually like to plan to wear the clothes I've been enjoying wearing lately. whch means they're out, in my closet, dresser, laundry, and have to be gradually gathered and selected for packing.
I tend to pack on laundry day. Once all the clothes are out of the dryer, I decide which to put in the suitcase and which to hang in the closet. That way, I have everything available to choose from and can get it all done at once.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
[QUOTE=evergrn;29102902]Almost everything I pack for trips are things I use at home and each thing has its own rightful place in different area of the house for everyday use. My laptop is my one and only home computer, and just walking to my study, unpacking and restoring that alone takes a good minute or more. There're all these other things that I have to do the same for... electric toothbrush, noise-cancelling headphone, jacket, swim goggles, sunglasses, electric shaver, etc, etc. So it really adds up. QUOTE]

DUPLICATES are your friend! It's a one time expense, but saves SO much time down the road. I have a small cabinet stocked with duplicate toiletries, personal appliances (hair curler, electric toothbrush), electronics, chargers, glasses, medications, etc., and those things are stored in packing cubes, ready to go, and are replaced in the cabinet when I return home (and refilled then, if necessary). I wouldn't think of disconnecting my home laptop, electric toothbrush, home charging systems, etc., every time I travel. I have a small tablet for internet access (besides my phone) that ONLY is used for travel. I also stock a travel umbrella, special socks for the plane, nightwear, a nylon windbreaker, and extra underwear in my travel stash. Having duplicates dedicated to travel and stored in the same place means I don't need to scour the house and remember to find (and replace) everything I need. It saves a lot of time!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: Delta, United, American, Norwegian, Southwest, Frontier, Bonvoy
You have to WIPE DOWN your charger cables before packing? Because they might be dusty? Yeah, I think your original suggestion that OCD is involved might be spot-on.
Also, if you decide to use packing cubes don't put dirty clothes in them and you won't have to wash them. Put dirty clothes in the disposable laundry bag from the hotel.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NotSoFrequentColorado
You have to WIPE DOWN your charger cables before packing? Because they might be dusty? Yeah, I think your original suggestion that OCD is involved might be spot-on.
haha you might be right. You don't wipe down something that's really dusty before packing, though?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:02 pm

haha you might be right. You don't wipe down something that's really dusty before packing, though?
I double bag shoes in plastic bags if the soles are less than immaculate, but cables? No, not really a dust issue for those.

Cables are one of those things it really does pay to have a dedicated set for travel. Doing so can save you much time and aggravation. I have https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...cessories+case which holds my duplicate power cable, adapter, micro mouse, spare ear buds, etc. - all stuff that is only used for travel. At home I don't take it out of the case so there's no chance of forgetting to pack it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.