FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Time it takes to pack & unpack, and any strategy for not having to repeat each time?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:16 pm
BarbiJKM

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
[QUOTE=evergrn;29102902]Almost everything I pack for trips are things I use at home and each thing has its own rightful place in different area of the house for everyday use. My laptop is my one and only home computer, and just walking to my study, unpacking and restoring that alone takes a good minute or more. There're all these other things that I have to do the same for... electric toothbrush, noise-cancelling headphone, jacket, swim goggles, sunglasses, electric shaver, etc, etc. So it really adds up. QUOTE]

DUPLICATES are your friend! It's a one time expense, but saves SO much time down the road. I have a small cabinet stocked with duplicate toiletries, personal appliances (hair curler, electric toothbrush), electronics, chargers, glasses, medications, etc., and those things are stored in packing cubes, ready to go, and are replaced in the cabinet when I return home (and refilled then, if necessary). I wouldn't think of disconnecting my home laptop, electric toothbrush, home charging systems, etc., every time I travel. I have a small tablet for internet access (besides my phone) that ONLY is used for travel. I also stock a travel umbrella, special socks for the plane, nightwear, a nylon windbreaker, and extra underwear in my travel stash. Having duplicates dedicated to travel and stored in the same place means I don't need to scour the house and remember to find (and replace) everything I need. It saves a lot of time!