Wiki Posts
Search

Does EU261 count in this case?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Does EU261 count in this case?

I have a TP flight coming up on the 20th CMN-LIS-MXP. I decided to check the reservation and found out TP canceled my CMN-LIS, and rebooked for the 19th, but the LIS-MXP is still on the 20th. First off it’s ridiculous that they think that’s an okay schedule. Second, I never received a notification about this change, it was very lucky I check my reservations every once in a while and I spotted it. Would EU261 apply because I never received notification, and it’s now within two weeks?

I’m going to call TP to try to change to the 1300 flight on the 20th, but I was just going to see if I deserve some compensation.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can you find out when the change was made?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can you find out when the change was made?
I don’t see any indication when the change was made on the reservations page. Shouldn’t it be on TP to notify me? Not everybody checks their reservations like FTers do.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:58 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Deserve isn't quite the term I'd use to describe EC261 - you're either entitled or you're not, it's not a discretionary or negotiable piece of legislation.

You are correct in saying that flight changes between one and two weeks can attract compensation, but only if the airline fails to provide alternative flights which depart or arrive within certain criteria:
  • depart no more than two hours earlier than scheduled, and
  • arrive no more than four hours later than scheduled

These timings get tighter for notifications within one week.

If TP meet these criteria when you ask them to re-route you, then you do not have a claim.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Deserve isn't quite the term I'd use to describe EC261 - you're either entitled or you're not, it's not a discretionary or negotiable piece of legislation.

You are correct in saying that flight changes between one and two weeks can attract compensation, but only if the airline fails to provide alternative flights which depart or arrive within certain criteria:
  • depart no more than two hours earlier than scheduled, and
  • arrive no more than four hours later than scheduled

These timings get tighter for notifications within one week.

If TP meet these criteria when you ask them to re-route you, then you do not have a claim.
Thanks. Originally was changed to leave 24 hours in advance, but with my MXP flight remaining at the same time, so there was an overnight in LIS. I called in to change, I'm now leaving CMN on the 20th my original day in the afternoon, and I'm arriving in MXP about 6 hours later at 23:30 (which also means I'll have to overnight there because the last bus heading north leaves at 23:40). I sent a complaint through TP's online system. We will see if/when they get back to me!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Thanks. Originally was changed to leave 24 hours in advance, but with my MXP flight remaining at the same time, so there was an overnight in LIS. I called in to change, I'm now leaving CMN on the 20th my original day in the afternoon, and I'm arriving in MXP about 6 hours later at 23:30 (which also means I'll have to overnight there because the last bus heading north leaves at 23:40). I sent a complaint through TP's online system. We will see if/when they get back to me!
Unless you need the miles, maybe you can ask TAP to cancel and get your money back.
Royal Air Maroc has a 12:05 PM non-stop flight that gets to Milan (MXP) at 4:15 for $185
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LA2CDG
Unless you need the miles, maybe you can ask TAP to cancel and get your money back.
Royal Air Maroc has a 12:05 PM non-stop flight that gets to Milan (MXP) at 4:15 for $185
Alas, I'm not even getting miles for this flight because its in too low a fare bucket. I've also got my outbound flight on Wednesday that canceling wouldn't make much sense. Thanks for the heads up though, I saw that when I was looking for alternatives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.