Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Packing style

Packing style

Old Sep 8, 17, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Packing style

Hello everyone!

Just wondering if you have any tips for packing a carry on bag. Do you pack your clothes by rolling your clothes or just folding them?

best regards
mouke
Old Sep 8, 17, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Mouke View Post
Hello everyone!

Just wondering if you have any tips for packing a carry on bag. Do you pack your clothes by rolling your clothes or just folding them?

best regards
mouke
I fold and try to distribute clothes evenly (by weight). Larger, heavier items like dopp kits go closest to the wheels.
Old Sep 8, 17, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Okay. I have read that some people find rolling the best way to pack because it saves space.

I just want to know what other frequent fliers do.
Old Sep 8, 17, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
I have actually started just throwing everything in there without even folding.
Old Sep 8, 17, 6:23 pm

Programs: Delta, United, AA, Jet Blue .... Whichever is Cheapest
Do pretty much what it says here...
​​​​​​​https://www.allianztravelinsurance.c...y-on-rules.htm

....and then wash them like this...

http://blog.tortugabackpacks.com/hand-washing-clothes/

Last edited by RRDD; Sep 8, 17 at 6:29 pm
Old Sep 8, 17, 7:25 pm

Anything that can get wrinkled, as in blouses, I fold and encase them in the plastic that comes from the cleaners.
Old Sep 8, 17, 7:36 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I roll casual clothes. Fold dress shirts and pants. I started using packing cubes on longer trips which are great for casual clothes and underwear/socks. It allows easy unpacking if you are staying in a few different places. Just put the cubes in the drawers or closet of the hotel room.
Old Sep 8, 17, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Flyertalkers can argue this for days without much of a consensus. I fold but I think that is more of a personal preference. I also like packing cubes, but haven't been using them recently. The bag type/shape matters too. For instance I find putting clothes folded in a packing cube or two and the cubes placed on their narrow sides in the center to be a great way to pack a carryall/satchel type bag but that wouldn't work well for a roll aboard bag.
Old Sep 8, 17, 9:02 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by b1513 View Post
Anything that can get wrinkled, as in blouses, I fold and encase them in the plastic that comes from the cleaners.
I recently ordered and used the space saver plastic bags (Amazon) and collapse everything after vacuuming all the air out. For destinations where you may not have easy access, they provide a hand pump...it works too !^

Creates a lot of space.
Old Sep 8, 17, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold/GE
I bundle wrap my clothes

https://www.onebag.com/pack.html
Old Sep 8, 17, 10:48 pm

always like this

from home base, it is all neat, arranged and folded properly. on the way back its just a big pile of who knows what stuffed into any space i can find.
Old Sep 9, 17, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
I'm always particular about packing. I roll my shirts, fold my pants, and put everything in a logical place. Heavier items near the bottom when the bag is stood up, items that I'll need first closer to the top when the bag is laid open. To me it's 3-D Tetris to make the most efficient use of limited space and my time finding things while traveling.

DW is almost the complete opposite. She jams things in wherever they'll fit. Her position is that as long as she can force the zipper it shut, it's all good. When she opens her bag at the destination the contents almost literally explode out of it. And while I simply reach into my bag easily retrieving the items I need first, she basically dumps hers out and has to rummage through the pile. Every. Time.
Old Sep 10, 17, 2:59 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Find good tips in Travel Products Forum...

Originally Posted by Mouke View Post
Just wondering if you have any tips for packing a carry on bag.
For great tips, just check out this master thread over Travel Products Forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...pack-suit.html
Old Sep 10, 17, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by HMPS View Post
I recently ordered and used the space saver plastic bags (Amazon) and collapse everything after vacuuming all the air out. For destinations where you may not have easy access, they provide a hand pump...it works too !^

Creates a lot of space.
Which one do you use?

I have sensitivity issues, so I find I have to travel with both my own sheet and pillow. I too use vacuum bags. I have tried several, the one I found most successful is travelon brand, because you can use both a vacuum and just roll the air out. Plus I like the material better. Though they don't provide as good a seal so I sometimes find my suitcase bulging halfway through my trip.

My big hunt is to find a good way to compress them on the return. I have a double barreled hand pump which apparently is no longer available. The thing is cheap plastic and I am worried it is going to break soon. I haven't found a replacement that is the same size and strong enough. I have my eyes on that air dragon they are advertising, but it seems a bit too large and heavy.

I tried the rolling idea, but that doesn't seem to compress as well as the vacuum bags. Though it takes quite a bit of trial to find the right way to pack those so the extra bag space doesn't take up all the room you saved.
Old Sep 11, 17, 10:36 am
Suspended

I find that rolling them maximizes available space. Folding them doesn't keep them any neater or less wrinkled, so you might as well roll them so you can fit more in.

I tend to pack 1 pair of underwear for each day I am gone, plus 2 extras. Socks I can usually wear more than one day, so a new pair for half the days. The rest depends on what I am doing there. Business clothes for each day of biz, but also some casual stuff for the off hours.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: