Elite Benefits That Don't Interest You

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Benefits That Don't Interest You

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
United Platinum and up can select E+ seats for up to 8 companions. I've never traveled with more than one person on the same ticket as me and cannot imagine having 8 people on my ticket.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I'm not interested in the elite benefits provided to everyone else.

When I fly UA, for example, and I see I'm #41 on the upgrade list, I think, "Wow, what a waste of time." UA could save so much time and money by ignoring them and just helping me. I'm sure most of those people ahead of me, with their higher status and/or fare class, don't really deserve it as much as I do anyway.

Ditto hotel upgrades. Of course I understand there's only one Presidential Suite. But if you'd just read the news, Mr./Ms. FDC, you'd know the president is headed to Mar a Lago in Florida this weekend; whereas I'm standing right here with my gold/plat/diamond/whatever status card. So make with the upgrade, okay?
Old Sep 9, 2017, 1:58 pm

I'll take all the upgrades I can get, whether it's hotel or flight, but I almost never take advantage of free food.

Hotel breakfast in particular is worthless to me because when I'm traveling for work I dont eat breakfast. When on vacation, I MIGHT eat breakfast but usually some place local rather than in a hotel. Likewise, the lounge food is often worthless, though the access to unlimited water is nice.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
They aren't so much negatives as they are things you wish you could replace, right?
Exactly. Not much value, but not negative value.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
I prefer benefits that enhance execution of the basics, vs. "nice sounding amenities, but difficult to deliver on". Sure, they are nice, but they don't contribute to loyalty.

Airlines:
- Priority Boarding
- Priority call center (especially during irregular ops)
- Standby: fees waived / priority on list
- Priority Baggage
- Family access to PE / Comfort + / MCE / E+ (a thank you for for all that business travel)

Hotels:
- Free water (sooo awesome after a day of travel and client meetings)
- Late checkout
Old Sep 10, 2017, 4:04 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by CMK10
United Platinum and up can select E+ seats for up to 8 companions. I've never traveled with more than one person on the same ticket as me and cannot imagine having 8 people on my ticket.
Doesn't need to be the same PNR, can be across multiple ones.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 5:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
In my dreams, I would customize my programs.
Do you believe that there is some set of even more generous benefits a program might offer in certain categories, but then only let you choose a subset of? Like you can get up to 4 free checked bags instead of 2 or 3 but only if you give up an option on any comp domestic upgrades or increased points earning for your status?

The DIY idea is fun in theory in that you can choose the stuff that does really matter to you personally, but that really only helps if the program is going to do better than it already does today in that category. If not you're just giving things up (even if you don't use them, someone else might) for no real benefit.

Worth noting that the Norwegian program is structured such that every six segments you get to choose a new benefit to add to your account. Free bags, bonus points, Fast Track and seat assignments are the options. Norwegian Rewards is the only program I know that does a DIY-like structure for elite status.

(Link to a story I wrote; FT makes me tell you that)
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
Do you believe that there is some set of even more generous benefits a program might offer in certain categories, but then only let you choose a subset of? Like you can get up to 4 free checked bags instead of 2 or 3 but only if you give up an option on any comp domestic upgrades or increased points earning for your status?

The DIY idea is fun in theory in that you can choose the stuff that does really matter to you personally, but that really only helps if the program is going to do better than it already does today in that category. If not you're just giving things up (even if you don't use them, someone else might) for no real benefit.

Worth noting that the Norwegian program is structured such that every six segments you get to choose a new benefit to add to your account. Free bags, bonus points, Fast Track and seat assignments are the options. Norwegian Rewards is the only program I know that does a DIY-like structure for elite status.

Interesting that Norwegian, of all programs, has that feature.

If I could DIY a program...

- From a low/mid-tier status, I'd trade my entire checked luggage benefit for the year for, say, 4 regional confirmed upgrades. The booking class can be the upgrade/award class, as long as I can view it and book it seamlessly in conjunction with any published paid coach fare. That's one R/T per year with a companion where I don't have to wait until my regular upgrade window.

- Might also trade my luggage benefit for a one-time companion ticket, access to "expanded" award inventory, or day-of-travel lounge access. (Can you tell I don't check bags a lot? )

- In the hotel space, I would trade all hypothetical chances at a free suite upgrade in exchange for the ability to book/confirm a suite at a reasonable premium to the standard award, bookable online and as seamlessly as using points to book a standard room.

- Might also trade the hypothetical suite for a more robust guarantee that I'm getting the best possible non-suite room in the hotel (or if I'm mid-tier, the best after the top-tiers have been assigned). In other words, take the suites out of the picture but get my bed/smoke right 100% of the time and give me whatever the "desirable" room is. Don't make elites buy-up to higher categories just to get their bed type. Assign rooms that are away from elevator, facing a quieter direction, decent view, etc. (Can you tell I assess my odds at getting the Presidential Suite at about 0.001% to begin with?)
Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:45 am

Actually, Air Canada also has DIY features, although probably not as much variety as Norwegian. You get it all at once rather than every 6 segments.

would be interesting to see how they compare though.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Interesting that Norwegian, of all programs, has that feature.
It is relatively new so more flexible in its ability to be creative. A larger legacy program would be excoriated here (and likely in the real world, to a lesser extent) for "taking away" benefits if it switched to a DIY approach because, while you might not care about bags there are others who very much do.

If I could DIY a program...

- From a low/mid-tier status, I'd trade my entire checked luggage benefit for the year for, say, 4 regional confirmed upgrades. The booking class can be the upgrade/award class, as long as I can view it and book it seamlessly in conjunction with any published paid coach fare. That's one R/T per year with a companion where I don't have to wait until my regular upgrade window.
But to the airline does that make sense? If you're not using the baggage allowance anyways then this is the airline giving you a pretty sizable benefit and not recouping any costs elsewhere.

- In the hotel space, I would trade all hypothetical chances at a free suite upgrade in exchange for the ability to book/confirm a suite at a reasonable premium to the standard award, bookable online and as seamlessly as using points to book a standard room.
Some programs offer suite bookings via points. Some don't.

Suite upgrades are like on-board upgrades. They're supposed to unload distressed inventory and let the hotel (or airline) oversell at the low end to maximize total revenue. Ascribing a real value to that benefit is tough as a consumer unless you'd really consider paying for such.

And I generally dismiss the suite upgrade value as nil anyways, however, so I'm probably not a particularly disinterested party in that discussion.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

skipping all queues would be interesting

as would having call center that handles very few
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Free alcohol.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It is relatively new so more flexible in its ability to be creative. A larger legacy program would be excoriated here (and likely in the real world, to a lesser extent) for "taking away" benefits if it switched to a DIY approach because, while you might not care about bags there are others who very much do.
Agreed they'd get excoriated, as they should, if they used it to take away benefits. I think we all agree on that. The question was whether it'd be of interest for people to swap a benefit of less value to them for a real enhancement to one they care about.

Do the person who cares about bags could do nothing and get the normal baggage allowance for their tier.

But to the airline does that make sense? If you're not using the baggage allowance anyways then this is the airline giving you a pretty sizable benefit and not recouping any costs elsewhere.
I'd theoretically fly lighter, thus costing the airline less in fuel. I realize U.S. airlines don't weigh carry-ons, but my regular roller is maybe 20 pounds when I pack it like I usually do. When I do check a bag, it's often because I'm packing it right to 50 pounds, maybe a pound or two under.

It's entirely possible that I'm overestimating the cost of transporting an extra 20-30 pounds. But airlines have been making a big deal about fuel costs from about the time they started charging for bags, so I figure it must be something...

Suite upgrades are like on-board upgrades. They're supposed to unload distressed inventory and let the hotel (or airline) oversell at the low end to maximize total revenue. Ascribing a real value to that benefit is tough as a consumer unless you'd really consider paying for such.
I don't even think I'd ask for a whole new mechanism for the availability.

(1) Use the existing fare buckets that airlines use for upgrade and award availability. I used to know them for UA...it was something like XC and NC when viewed in their system, and maybe O and I when viewed through a tool like ANA.

(2) For hotels that already have *some* existing way to issue suite awards, put it online and make it easy to use via website or app. Again, within existing inventory rules.

And I generally dismiss the suite upgrade value as nil anyways, however, so I'm probably not a particularly disinterested party in that discussion.
Maybe in your DIY paradise, you'd give up all access to upgrades in exchange for more bonus points or something?

(In reality, I'm not expecting any of my big programs to begin doing DIY. This is simply an Internet thought experiment...)
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A long time ago some of the USA legacy carriers advertised "kids fly free in February" (roughly, but I think it was two full months of the year), not just for elites. The idea was to encourage parents to take their kids on business trips using otherwise empty seats. Bad idea!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:28 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Bonus points for airlines. Between revenue-based accrual and the fact that I fly almost exclusively on manufactured miles make bonus points a non-issue for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.