Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cooler as checked luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Question Cooler as checked luggage

Would a cooler (i.e., ice/food cooler) with only clothes in it pass for checked luggage on a domestic U.S. flight?

I was just thinking it would be easier to bring the cooler than to buy another one when I arrive at my destination.

Thanks.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I've seen coolers at luggage claim numerous times so I'd conclude the answer is broadly yes. Do understand 1) you might face limits/surcharges based on the dimensions of your cooler. Look up the policies of the airline(s) you're flying. And 2) seal the lid to the body with packing tape. Handles and latches can be knocked open during handling.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: Smiles Diamante, dirt elsewhere
I've done it several times in the past, both domestic and international flights. Granted it's been six or seven years since I last did it, but it was never an issue. Sometimes the check-in agent wanted me to open it to prove it was not filled with ice, so I usually sealed it with duck or packing tape after I showed it to him (pretty fast task when you do it as many times as I did it).
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I often travel with a soft sided cooler from https://www.aocoolers.com. I also use it as a grocery bag in the summer.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
BTW don't completely discard the idea of buying a cooler once at your destination. I've done that a few times. Usually I buy one of those styrofoam coolers that's basically a throw-away after several days to a week of use; but that's enough for the trip. Last time I priced them, about two weeks ago, they were $8 at a grocery store. Recently on a trip I bought a Coleman "Playmate" cooler for about $15. Paying such prices may be easier than the costs or hassle of checking a cooler.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:53 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Half the checked "luggage" on some Hawai`i inter-island flights are coolers.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:42 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Half the checked "luggage" on some Hawai`i inter-island flights are coolers.

Lots of coolers coming from Alaska, too...
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

I was thinking about putting some clothing in it when I checked it in but I was thinking that there is a good chance that the lid would pop open even with tape on it.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
PAC NW has lots of coolers traveling around.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:47 am

Run the tape all the way around in a band... both lengthwise and widthwise. Use duct tape. It should hold.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Isn't TSA allowed to open the cooler? I was afraid they would cut the duct tape then it wouldn't seal as well when they closed the lid. My skivvies would end up being scattered around the luggage carousel...
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by iowa guy
Isn't TSA allowed to open the cooler? I was afraid they would cut the duct tape then it wouldn't seal as well when they closed the lid. My skivvies would end up being scattered around the luggage carousel...

Ha ha! Thanks for my laugh of the morning!
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iowa guy
Use a webbing strap around the cooler to hold the lid shut. Tape doesn't stick that well to some plastics and is less likely to after they've opened it.

I've flown internationally with a cooler full of equipment. Other people I was flying with had several coolers full of ice cores and didn't have to do anything special at check-in or customs.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:37 am

We have done it many times when travelling to Destin. We tape it with duct tape, then use luggage straps as extra reinforcement. Remember to pack in more tape for when you return. Also write your name somewhere on the tape in case the tag comes off. We load ours with towels and sunscreen and still have a bit of room for personal items.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:53 am

flying with fish

its the only way my snappers fly, domestic on PR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.