Wiki Posts
Search

737 MAX starts TATL service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
737 MAX starts TATL service

And so it begins... a new era of 737s across the Atlantic.

Norwegian took delivery of their first two 737 MAX 8 on June 29 and flew them to OSL. Yesterday evening it ferried them to EDI and BFS, and today (July 15) they are in revenue service. The first two TATL flights using 737 MAX 8 are live. Both are in the air as I write this.

EI-FYA is flying D8 1608 EDI-BDL
EI-FYB operated D8 1751 BFS-SWF

With 100 737 MAX orders, Norwegian is going to change the price-conscious TATL market. Still, the range will limit them to flights between Western Europe and East Coast US. When the A321LR comes online, with range similar to a 757-200, we can expect Norwegian to push for central Europe and midwest US.

This promises to be interesting.

TAP Portugal seems to be responding, preemptively, perhaps to discourage Norwegian from entering their markets which are easily within the range capabilities of the 737 MAX. They have introduced low fares, including one-way fares, and fares with no bags (well, pay extra for bags). You can fly TP, a Star Alliance carrier, for as little as $146 one-way, and these seem to be their new regular fares, not promos. Availability is limited.

Like I said, interesting times are ahead.

Last edited by CaptainMiles; Jul 15, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:54 pm

Check out the trip report on the MAX 8 delivery flight for Norwegian!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:46 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Based on the trip report linked to immediately above, it looks like each and every TATL flight will be 9 hours of 737 horrid seat hell. Tickets (and bag fees) better make it worthwhile!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The TP fares have been around for a while in a lot of markets, not just specific to these new 737 options. Other legacy carriers have matched Norwegian fares off and on, too.

I'm considering BFS-PVD in September based on the price but hesitating knowing that it won't be very comfortable and I still have to get home from there.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
I'm considering BFS-PVD in September based on the price but hesitating knowing that it won't be very comfortable and I still have to get home from there.
I'm flying them BFS-PVD in July and will let you know how it goes. I believe they are using the regular 737-800 for BFS-PVD and the 737 MAX 8 for BFS-SWF. They are supposed to take 4 more deliveries of MAX this year, so perhaps by September they will have another MAX for the BFS-PVD route.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
I'm flying them BFS-PVD in July and will let you know how it goes. I believe they are using the regular 737-800 for BFS-PVD and the 737 MAX 8 for BFS-SWF. They are supposed to take 4 more deliveries of MAX this year, so perhaps by September they will have another MAX for the BFS-PVD route.
Timetable shows all MAX by September. Additional deliveries should make that viable.

I've flown on the Norwegian 737s in the past. Interior is going to be the same so I know what I'm up against. It isn't great, but it sure is cheap. Maybe a little quieter but for a passenger that's likely the only change.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Based on the trip report linked to immediately above, it looks like each and every TATL flight will be 9 hours of 737 horrid seat hell. Tickets (and bag fees) better make it worthwhile!
Wasnt the trip report from SEA though? All of Norwegian's scheduled flights are to the east coast so flight time will be much shorter.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Keep in mind this is FT. We are a unique group of nerds that pay close attention to details like this. I bet 95% of the people that fly in this coach seat don't know nor care that it's a 737 nor would they know if they were indeed on a 737 or 747.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
A new era, certainly. However, the 737 MAX is about the same size as the former workhorse of transatlantic flights, the 707. The seat pitch and width of the 737 MAX is no different from a 787.

With that in mind, when I am in a CRJ-700, I occasionally pretend that it is a Concorde. Same 4 abreast seating :P
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
BDL-EDI is only 9 hours if they cruise at 305kts. Specified cruise speed is over 450. It will take brutal headwinds to stretch to 9 hours.

Norwegian Air International 1609
Arrived over 2 days ago
5h 35m total flight time
So not each and every. In fact, so far, none.

Last edited by CPRich; Jul 17, 2017 at 10:08 am
Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Timetable shows all MAX by September. Additional deliveries should make that viable.
When I bought my ticket the timetable also showed MAX, but due to delivery delays it went back to 738. This is actually very significant because the seat map is different. I had chosen 2DEF, which on the MAX is the bulkhead row with plenty of leg room. Then they substituted the 738, which has seats in 1DEF, making my 2DEF plain 30" coach seats. Yikes. I was still in the same seat numbers but now in regular coach seats. All of row 1 was already taken by the time I noticed, but I was able to get the exit row 15DEF. On the MAX the good exit row is at 16, and I noticed on the seat map that all of 16 was taken. Some poor souls had booked 16 exit row and are going to end up in a 16 regular coach row.

To summarize, I believe the seat map is as follows.
On the 738:
bulkhead 1ABCDEF
non-reclining exit row: 14
reclining exit row: 15

On the MAX8:
bulkhead 1ABC 2DEF
non-reclining exit row: 15
reclining exit row: 16

The only equipment-change-proof good seats to book during these times of uncertain equipment are 1ABC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.