Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
This is my experiencing after travelling to 66 countries for business:

Be patient
Travel to each new place with an open mind
Try to understand how people there think
Do not compare with your home city or country
Try and build time into a visit to see and experience the place

I usually don't take my clothes out of my suitcase, so that as one commented above, you can leave at a moments notice if need be.

Something else I have done many times though this may not work for everyone. I've been eating at a table in a restaurant on my own and notice the guy next to me is doing the same. So I just say "you must be on a business trip as well". And in every case we have joined our tables or one of us has moved to the other table, and in this way I've struck up many friendships. On one occasion the server must have noticed two sad faces, and when we joined up he said "that's good you two got together".

PS counting number of countries visited is optional
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by jahason
PS counting number of countries visited is optional
Must agree with this ^
Travel is - or should be - a whole lot more than a pin in the map.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
The biggest thing to do is make sure to have ample time for yourself and exercise.

For me, if I'm flying on a Sunday, I prefer to fly sunday morning, and once I get to my destination, check into the hotel and go hit the gym. After work, I try to skip any social dinners (those take too long and eat too much), and prefer to grab a quick bite (still healthy) and hit the hotel gym. Weight lifting is good as it burns a lot more passive calories (you will be sitting a lot). An airline lounge membership is also great, especially one with showers. Being able to freshen up before and after flights is HUGE.

Sometimes, I prefer walking around the airport concourse, just to get some steps in. If I have to fly back home on a Saturday (after a full friday), I will purposely choose an afternoon flight so I can get a workout done in the hotel gym in the morning.

The biggest mistake I made last year with my 8 business trips was I failed to take advantage of fitness opportunities and attended too many social dinners. Never again am I doing that.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
The biggest thing to do is make sure to have ample time for yourself and exercise.

For me, if I'm flying on a Sunday, I prefer to fly sunday morning, and once I get to my destination, check into the hotel and go hit the gym. After work, I try to skip any social dinners (those take too long and eat too much), and prefer to grab a quick bite (still healthy) and hit the hotel gym. Weight lifting is good as it burns a lot more passive calories (you will be sitting a lot). An airline lounge membership is also great, especially one with showers. Being able to freshen up before and after flights is HUGE.

Sometimes, I prefer walking around the airport concourse, just to get some steps in. If I have to fly back home on a Saturday (after a full friday), I will purposely choose an afternoon flight so I can get a workout done in the hotel gym in the morning.

The biggest mistake I made last year with my 8 business trips was I failed to take advantage of fitness opportunities and attended too many social dinners. Never again am I doing that.
Just a quick thought. Depending on situation/career/role, the "social dinners" may prove to be very valuable. I would not be so quick to fully dismiss them if at all helpful for your particular circumstance.

While perhaps viewed as social, they can prove a great opportunity for networking and even lobbying.

It can be difficult to find the right balance between "me time" and work activity. Moderation is typically effective.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:44 am

This thread already has some very good advices. Few more points that I would like to emphasise to stay healthy while on a trip:

- Always try to stay hydrated. When being constantly on the road it is easy to forget to drink enough. Drink a liter right after you wake up.

- Visit local markets to buy fruits / veggies to snack on. This way you will make sure you get enough vitamins in.

- Try to eat low fat meals throughout the day since business lunch / dinners will already contain a lot of fatty meals.

- Do not forget to exercise regularly. Even if it's just a 10-15 min routine in the hotel room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.