Wiki Posts
Search

Tips for someone about to become a real frequent traveler

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by EricH
Even worse when you don't know where you are and then realize that you're home.
Further, for me at least who's in bed next to you!
Old May 31, 2017, 9:28 am
Suspended

For me, learing not to eat in restaurants all the time was a godsend. Go to the supermarkets and stores for food, and prepare it yourself when you can. Seek out rooms with small kitchens. This kept the weight down, the costs down, the food poisoning incidents down, and the energy up. And you can do it worldwide.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: IB+, BAEC
These are good tips.

As for the condom tip, a younger me would have appreciated that, but now I think I'd have a hard time explain why I need them to Mrs. LC.

The eating thing is probably my biggest worry so thanks for those. The diarrhea pill is definitely a good one and I'm well vaccinated from personal travel in the tropics. If I end up in a tropical part of Brazil I will probably just seal myself off as much as possible as I am worried about Zika since kids are still in our future and they still don't really know the effects of it.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:55 am

Good ideas already listed. As a 365-day traveler for a couple of decades, I want to add one, though it seems like blasphemy around here:

Join hotel and airline frequent guest/hotel programs, but don't kill yourself chasing status, miles, points and all that. If you get yourself into the tough commute situation or you're giving up sleep quantity or quality, it won't be worth the few points you get. For people who travel only 100 nights, recovery is possible. But as the travel escalates...
Old May 31, 2017, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Good ideas already listed. As a 365-day traveler for a couple of decades, I want to add one, though it seems like blasphemy around here:

Join hotel and airline frequent guest/hotel programs, but don't kill yourself chasing status, miles, points and all that. If you get yourself into the tough commute situation or you're giving up sleep quantity or quality, it won't be worth the few points you get. For people who travel only 100 nights, recovery is possible. But as the travel escalates...
A corollary to this: you'll eventually come to appreciate nonstop flights, even if they aren't on your "preferred" airline.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Two rules:
1) If you are standing in a long line at the airport, you are doing it wrong. Find out how to be in the short line and do that (Precheck, NEXUS/SENTRI/Global Entry, and earning at least the minimum elite level with an airline).
2) Eat local. You are going to eat out often, so avoid the same crap you can get at home (Chili's, I'm looking at you ...). Eat a cheesesteak in Philadelphia; smoked meat in Montreal; barbeque in Texas, Carolina, Memphis; and pizza in Rome.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:18 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
You may already do this, but there should be certain items that stay in your suitcase even when you're home from a trip. For me, it's my toiletry kit. I never need to think about whether I remembered to pack a brush, razor, face stuff, Advil, etc. But your might be certain electronics chargers, slippers, headphones, you name it. It's worth the expense of having two of certain items so you never have to worry about buying a replacement item in another locale because you forgot to pack it.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
The biggest tip from me is "don't sweat it!"

As long as you have your passport, credit cards (several types from different banks), prescriptions, and some cash in $$ or euros, you can most almost anything you need where ever you go. You will get stuck in strange cities for weird reasons..(strikes, riots, coups, bombings, I've been stuck for all of these reasons) just take it all in stride and try not to get flustered.
Old May 31, 2017, 12:42 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
- Spend some money on proper frequent traveller stuff (now, not later). Consider noise cancelling headphones, packing cubes, a decent carry-on, an easy to travel with briefcase, good socks for flights, etc.
- Get a second set of basics so that you don't need to keep packing and unpacking
- Don't eat on planes or drink in lounges (ok, maybe just a drink on the way home at the end of the week)
- Embrace routine when on the road. Eat the same things, work the same times, if you must be social with colleagues do it in the same way at the same time every week
- When you need something and you're on the road, be open to buying a second one even though it's a bit of a waste of money. It'll pay you back in reduced stress over the years
Old May 31, 2017, 1:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Surprised this hasn't come up yet.

But always remember to be polite and gracious, always, and never act entitled.

Nobody will help you (much less upgrade you/find you an available room, allow an early check-in, rebook if your flight gets cancelled/delayed, and on and on and on) if you are rude.

As the world becomes more self-service oriented, sometimes we forget that in the direst of situations we may still need help from someone.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
You may already do this, but there should be certain items that stay in your suitcase even when you're home from a trip. For me, it's my toiletry kit. I never need to think about whether I remembered to pack a brush, razor, face stuff, Advil, etc. But your might be certain electronics chargers, slippers, headphones, you name it. It's worth the expense of having two of certain items so you never have to worry about buying a replacement item in another locale because you forgot to pack it.
This is a very good tip. I have a duplicate of all of my key things that I keep in my backpack 24/7 so I never had to think about it - namely toiletries and electronics (cords, phone chargers, batteries, Bose headphones - only one pair of these but always in my backpack so I don't forget, running headphones, etc.).

Also worth investing in a good suitcase - for me that has meant Briggs & Riley because I value the lifetime warranty (and have taken advantage of it).
Old May 31, 2017, 2:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Another thing that works well for me is determining the correct place for important things so they are always there (and you know you have them).

For example, wallet, passport, headphones, all have specific zippered pockets in my messenger bag, and they will always come out and go back into the same pocket. For me, if it's not there, I know I'm in trouble. Luckily that hasn't happened yet.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I second (third?) the recommendation to have a full set of toiletries always packed. I don't travel for work but got tired of trying to remember everything. I even keep OTC meds like Advil and stomach meds in there, because I don't want to have to try and find them when on a trip. A phone charger that's always in the bag is nice too - in my case I still pack the main one but I have a backup that way - helped on my last vacation when I crushed the tip of my USB cord stepping on it carelessly.

And finally, I have what I call the "Friendmaker" for domestic travel, a 3-plug + 2 USB Belkin surge strip. Great at the airport for sharing outlets (and useful at hotels), and it swivels so you can fit in any direction.
https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Mini-S...00ATZJ5YS?th=1
Old May 31, 2017, 5:38 pm
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
Good suggestions in this thread, especially the have duplicate travel-specific items in your bag, I even got a duplicate laptop charger etc. more costly items, so very quick to pack. I also use a packing list which helps me double check I have everything I need for the particular trip.

I would like to add "getting out to see local places that interest you". You will get to see way too much of meeting rooms, exhibition centers, hotel rooms, airports, planes which are all the same around the world. It soon becomes boring.

I use TripAdvisor "top museums/things to do" and wikitravel for the destination to check if there is something interesting to do or visit after working days.

I find I'm more productive, if after the normal working day I go out to a museum or other interesting place, have a local dinner and then come back to the hotel to catch up on email and work.

Some top examples from my trips (these are of course based on my preferences, yours are likely be different):
  • When flying out of Washington Dulles, visited the Udvar Hazy aviation museum on the way to the airport, as it is close to the airport. Great way to spend a some hours before my afternoon flight.
  • When in Brazil, did a day trip out to Iguazu falls to see both sides (Brazil and Argentina) of the waterfalls using local taxi guide, as I had to wait for one day for my return flight home. Amazing.
  • Vienna has some museum open late each night of the week, great for after-work visits.
  • London has just so many great museums and exhibitions, many open late so you can get there after work.
  • Especially in major cities, there are often interesting concerts and events, like book signing by your favorite author, live concert by an artist you like, etc.
  • At DFW, drove via the AA aviation museum and JFK museum in Dallas on the way to the hotel, not much time spent, but pretty interesting.
  • ... these have really helped with the tedium of long-haul business travel.

Good luck. Many will enjoy the traveling life for some years if not longer. The world is an amazing place, if you remember to look around a bit.
Old May 31, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
https://onebag.com

You're welcome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.