Community
Wiki Posts
Search

solo travelling is fun. why?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Being treated with wonder by less travel-experienced family members would be an improvement over being treated with distrust. Here's a scenario that's played out several times with one particular family member when we travel together.

Me: *Exit airplane, start walking toward terminal exit*

They: *wanders off in different direction*

Me: Where are you going?

They: (indignant) Checking a map to see where to go!

Me: The nearest bathrooms are just behind us, the tunnel out from Concourse C is over this way.

They: We should ask someone for directions.

Me: It's O'Hare. I've been here countless times. We take the tunnel from Concourse C to B, go around the escalator, and straight out through baggage claim.

...Three minutes later...

Me: *Exiting baggage claim to the street *

They: *wanders the other direction, pointing anxiously*

Me: What's up?

They: The sign says car rental is over this way!

Me: That's only if you don't have a reservation. We have one, so we go straight to the depot offsite. A company shuttle picks us up at the curb outside baggage claim.

They: I think we should ask to be sure.

Me: Why are you fighting me on this?
I can relate. That also happens when I'm with people even when I'm not traveling.

Grinds my gears when they don't listen.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:00 am

Traveling solo means one blissful word to me: Freedom!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by d3vi0uz
I'm naturally an introvert, and according to 16 Personalities I'm an INTJ-A if you are into those kinda things.

I like being alone. I can be couped up in my home alone for days and not get cabin fever or feel the need to talk to someone, yet my background is sales. I'm not antisocial nor socially awkward... I just "recharge" when I'm alone and not interacting with people.

Traveling without a companion or coworker is time where I can reflect, evaluate, game plan and strategize both mentally and on paper. It's nice to not be bothered during this time as I am constantly interacting with others when I'm not doing this.

I think of traveling alone as a time to recharge and be even more productive, even though I'm not truly alone as thousands of people are around me in airports and hundreds on a plane.

It's amazing how much I get done when traveling alone and how much better I perform after I've been traveling.
Excellent testimonial. ^

Am an ISTP myself. Many introverts aren't heavily into verbal communication, and that can actually be an ASSET when up against a language barrier, because you're already used to miming or signaling things or finding out information in ways besides asking people (as in the old "Why won't he ask for directions?" thing with males that drives females crazy).

Being able to indulge curiosities is a great privilege. One of the great things about the old Lonely Planet books that many people don't get today is how you could use downtime (e.g. a night in a guesthouse in a place with no nightlife) to read ahead about other places that weren't yet on the radar screen.

I put together what turned out to be the best trip I'd ever taken doing that...from Jakarta I read ahead in the Indonesia tome and got on the Internet (when it was expensive to do that) for a marathon 5-hour session to try to bang out an itin using command lines on the old easySABRE.

It was a real kludge but got me to Ambon by air for a few days (via Bali and Ujung Padang) and then on the Dobonsolo for 3 more to Jayapura (via Manokwari and Biak), where I'd get on cargo planes to/from the Baliem Valley (experience of a lifetime). Then another cargo plane back and more puddle jumpers back to Ambon, a boat to Banda Neira (the old nutmeg cluster) and more days around there, and then a plane to Bali and a few R&R days. The Maluku and Irian Jaya destinations would become too dangerous not long after, and I swear if I had access to as much info then as now I would have likely talked myself out of half the trips I took around that time period. But I'm glad I went.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I've done a lot of solo travel as well as travel with family/friends.

Pluses include: creating/following my own schedule, having a chat with random locals, wandering aimlessly, spending lengthy periods of time to get the right photo, and checking out local food markets.
I sometimes have that tendency, too, and it can be easy to forget how it could drive companions nuts.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
If you are extrovert, decent looking, and sociable, solo traveling might be quite fun because you have no problem meeting new people and making new friends. In fact, you may even crave it.

But as an introvert, traveling solo just feels lonely without a travel companion. Of course, the key is finding someone who is willing to do most of the same stuff as you. Could be a friend or even a sibling.
Old May 1, 2017, 9:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I can handle travel without losing my mind. I don't get crabby, stressed, confused or zombie like very often. When I do it's on an extreme longhaul combined with IRROPS and even then, it's better that I am alone.

When I travel with others, I watch them implode from fatigue and confusion. I see couples fighting all the time over the smallest triggers. What's more, I know what I am doing. I know how to get the seats I want, I know how to go through security, I know how to load my bag in the bin, I know so many tricks for smoothing out the entire process, and my travel companions never believe me or accuse me of being anal..while they end up in middle seats in the back.
Air travel can bring out the worst in people and those of us with more experience are accustomed to the minor irritants that set less frequent travelers off.

Solo travel has its pluses and minuses. Some of my best trips were on my own while others were with compatible travel companions. It depends where you are going and why.

Choose your travel companions with care. My worst solo trip was not nearly as bad as the trip my wife and I took to the UK with her sister and husband. Never again.

Last edited by Badenoch; May 1, 2017 at 9:30 am
Old May 2, 2017, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I take about half of my business trips solo. I actually like these trips.

I can work out whenever I want. On a recent trip, I planned to go out for a 1-hour run from the hotel after work. I was having a really good run, so I turned it into a 2-hour run. I kind of got lost on a trail network and didn't really care. At some point I thought "I guess I should sort of turn in the general direction of the hotel", but there was no stress about it.

I eat lots of sushi. Sushi bars always welcome solo diners. Sushi chefs, and other diners at sushi bars, and usually fun to talk to. And the food is a lot more interesting than the other common home for solo diners, the sportsbar.

I can work really weird hours...if I need to. I don't want to do this *all* the time, but when I do it's actually a stress reliever to get stuff done at 6AM or whatever.

Nobody I regularly travel with is as efficient at the actual *travel* part as I am. So it's nice to do that part at my pace without worrying about anyone else. Don't have to hang around security waiting for non-Precheck people. Don't have to wait after deplaning for people at the very back of the plane. Don't have to walk at the pace of the slowest person. Don't have to deal with someone else renting the car without an expedited process. All that stuff...
Old May 2, 2017, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Being treated with wonder by less travel-experienced family members would be an improvement over being treated with distrust. Here's a scenario that's played out several times with one particular family member when we travel together.

Me: *Exit airplane, start walking toward terminal exit*

They: *wanders off in different direction*

Me: Where are you going?

They: (indignant) Checking a map to see where to go!

Me: The nearest bathrooms are just behind us, the tunnel out from Concourse C is over this way.

They: We should ask someone for directions.

Me: It's O'Hare. I've been here countless times. We take the tunnel from Concourse C to B, go around the escalator, and straight out through baggage claim.

...Three minutes later...

Me: *Exiting baggage claim to the street *

They: *wanders the other direction, pointing anxiously*

Me: What's up?

They: The sign says car rental is over this way!

Me: That's only if you don't have a reservation. We have one, so we go straight to the depot offsite. A company shuttle picks us up at the curb outside baggage claim.

They: I think we should ask to be sure.

Me: Why are you fighting me on this?

You forgot to add the part where the person they ask about their connecting gate and interline baggage is the closest janitor.
Old May 2, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
You forgot to add the part where the person they ask about their connecting gate and interline baggage is the closest janitor.
I see that you've traveled with my mother. Her specialty is picking someone to
ask wno is garanteed not to share a language that any of us might speak.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:41 am
Suspended

Janitors, retail workers..just about anyone in a uniform of any kind in an airport must CERTAINLY know about your itinerary and how to handle all airline issues!
Old May 4, 2017, 3:01 am

I'm surprised by the amount of negativity here towards traveling with a companion. My spouse and I chose each other based on shared interests and compatible styles. In terms of travel that means we're interested in a lot of the same things, have similar energy levels, make similar cost tradeoffs, and share the ability to be out the door 30 minutes after getting up from bed in the morning.

Are we perfectly matched? No. There are times of disagreement and compromise. But those compromises are rarely soul-sucking. Traveling with a partner is great when you've got the right partner. @:-)
Agree. I thought I was going insane reading this.

I just spent a month travelling of which I was one week with my partner, and the other three pretty much on my own. I can be an extrovert if I want to but I would rather have drinks with my partner and talk about whatever we talk about. Travelling with him is one of the great pleasures in life. Seeing things is much better seen with someone else.
Old May 4, 2017, 4:36 am

solo travelling is fun. why? ...
because you and only you control everything. budget, directions, destinations, pace, style, whatever it is.

but sometimes I get lonely and it's uncomfortable when there's nobody to talk to (and I Identify myself as introvert to begin with)
Old May 6, 2017, 7:16 am

I like a kind of mix -- doing things on my own, but meeting with someone periodically to share experiences and dine together (I get enough of eating solo at home). My siblings and I do a vacation "together" every year -- we go together, eat dinner together, but may or may not spend our days together. That's a perfect mix for me.

The great stuff is being able to set your own time, and change your mind at the last minute -- like this? spend more time. don't like this? leave early. get a whim to stop here? just do it.

Maybe it depends on how often you're alone in the rest of your life? I've lived alone for 30+ years, so I am used to doing stuff alone, but also am tired of doing EVERYTHING alone.

Last edited by Calliopeflyer; May 6, 2017 at 7:27 am
Old May 13, 2017, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by frobozzelectric
and that is the best thing.

do whatever whenever which is pretty much my creed.

as long as the costs can be borne you are free to do what you feel like without making others unhappy.
Originally Posted by Low Roller
I love that there's no need to compromise. You don't have to care what other people think or want. You just do what you want, when you want to do it...bliss!
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Traveling alone is doing what I want WHEN I want.
Originally Posted by eeflyer
I always thought that traveling is one of those things I would only enjoy if I was able to share that experience with others. However, after trying a solo trip I must say that I was sorely mistaken. Traveling alone gives a huge feeling of freedom. One can do anything on a whim. There's no stress about finding things that the whole group will enjoy.
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
Solo travel + meeting other travelers along the way = best of both worlds
I can handle travel without losing my mind. I don't get crabby, stressed, confused or zombie like very often. When I do it's on an extreme longhaul combined with IRROPS and even then, it's better that I am alone.

When I travel with others, I watch them implode from fatigue and confusion. I see couples fighting all the time over the smallest triggers. What's more, I know what I am doing. I know how to get the seats I want, I know how to go through security, I know how to load my bag in the bin, I know so many tricks for smoothing out the entire process, and my travel companions never believe me or accuse me of being anal..while they end up in middle seats in the back.
Originally Posted by United747
I love being able to do what I want. No compromises on destinations, sights, restaurants, hotels, etc.

I can choose whatever flights I want too.
Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer

The great stuff is being able to set your own time, and change your mind at the last minute -- like this? spend more time. don't like this? leave early. get a whim to stop here? just do it.

Maybe it depends on how often you're alone in the rest of your life? I've lived alone for 30+ years, so I am used to doing stuff alone, but also am tired of doing EVERYTHING alone.
I agree with all of the above. I traveled solo for many trips including 3 RTWs. On the other hand, I enjoy traveling with my 'vacation girlfriend', as we are very compatible when traveling. But her vacation flexibility is much less than mine.
Old May 13, 2017, 7:31 pm

I visit cities, and I do make rough itineraries--some attractions\events require scheduling or advance purchases.

But much of my time is spent wandering, starred google map in hand, choosing where to go next on not much more than a whim.

I can't imagine a travel partner putting up with that for more than an afternoon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.