solo travelling is fun. why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

solo travelling is fun. why?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
I love travelling alone, because it means no compromises - I do whatever I want, when I want. i'm an introvert, and need my alone time. But lately, I've felt the desire to share the experiences with someone.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by mlin32
No need to compromise or schedule around a 2nd opinion. "Can we eat now?" "I'm tired, can we go back to the hotel?" "Slow down, I don't know how to work this ticket machine." are examples of phrases that don't happen.
This!

I have to deal with people enough in my daily life and need a few weeks per year to be alone. Even when traveling with family, my wife and children's inevitable whining as listed above gets extremely annoying.

These days, I much prefer traveling alone.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jolly2766788
For me it would be the freedom I get to go wherever I want and do whatever I want to do....
This +1 ^

Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
Solo travel + meeting other travelers along the way = best of both worlds
This +2 ^^

I agree on all counts. I love traveling with Mrs. Madone59 but there is something about traveling alone which is just great. Earlier this year I traveled around the world alone in 10 days (see trip report below.....yes it's a shameless plug but w/e ) got home and wanted to do it again.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: A3*G
Agree with all the points brought up by the advocates of solo travel.

Another point for solo travel: no need to deal with the endless nagging and judgements of travel partners should there be a cockup (eg. lousy food at a restaurant, getting lost etc.)
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:30 am
Suspended

I can handle travel without losing my mind. I don't get crabby, stressed, confused or zombie like very often. When I do it's on an extreme longhaul combined with IRROPS and even then, it's better that I am alone.

When I travel with others, I watch them implode from fatigue and confusion. I see couples fighting all the time over the smallest triggers. What's more, I know what I am doing. I know how to get the seats I want, I know how to go through security, I know how to load my bag in the bin, I know so many tricks for smoothing out the entire process, and my travel companions never believe me or accuse me of being anal..while they end up in middle seats in the back.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:52 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I've done a lot of solo travel as well as travel with family/friends.

Pluses include: creating/following my own schedule, having a chat with random locals, wandering aimlessly, spending lengthy periods of time to get the right photo, and checking out local food markets.

Minuses exist, but they vary per trip.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
I am 68 and travel everywhere on my own,I just take a small shoulder bag even if staying overnight,I love just being able to change my mind about what to do or where to go,with another person in tow it is not so easy,it does not worry me being alone,I have traveled around the world on my own,I do like to meet people and chat if poss,but if not,no loss,its going to foreign places,listening to different languages etc that I love.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:55 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I love being able to do what I want. No compromises on destinations, sights, restaurants, hotels, etc.

I can choose whatever flights I want too.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I'm surprised by the amount of negativity here towards traveling with a companion. My spouse and I chose each other based on shared interests and compatible styles. In terms of travel that means we're interested in a lot of the same things, have similar energy levels, make similar cost tradeoffs, and share the ability to be out the door 30 minutes after getting up from bed in the morning.

Are we perfectly matched? No. There are times of disagreement and compromise. But those compromises are rarely soul-sucking. Traveling with a partner is great when you've got the right partner. @:-)
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:17 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I'm surprised by the amount of negativity here towards traveling with a companion. My spouse and I chose each other based on shared interests and compatible styles. In terms of travel that means we're interested in a lot of the same things, have similar energy levels, make similar cost tradeoffs, and share the ability to be out the door 30 minutes after getting up from bed in the morning.

Are we perfectly matched? No. There are times of disagreement and compromise. But those compromises are rarely soul-sucking. Traveling with a partner is great when you've got the right partner. @:-)
+1
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Scrub
I enjoyed the freedom when I was traveling solo, but even when I travel with people you don't have to stand with them the entire time. Sometimes we split up for a bit and meet back up, everyone is a grown adult that can handle themselves for an hour or so. You get the best of traveling with people and solo that way.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I can handle travel without losing my mind. I don't get crabby, stressed, confused or zombie like very often. When I do it's on an extreme longhaul combined with IRROPS and even then, it's better that I am alone.

When I travel with others, I watch them implode from fatigue and confusion. I see couples fighting all the time over the smallest triggers. What's more, I know what I am doing. I know how to get the seats I want, I know how to go through security, I know how to load my bag in the bin, I know so many tricks for smoothing out the entire process, and my travel companions never believe me or accuse me of being anal..while they end up in middle seats in the back.
I get crabby and stressed!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:44 am

Smile India Tour

Solo travel men fully freedom to go anywhere ^
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by pairofkeets
I enjoyed the freedom when I was traveling solo, but even when I travel with people you don't have to stand with them the entire time. Sometimes we split up for a bit and meet back up, everyone is a grown adult that can handle themselves for an hour or so. You get the best of traveling with people and solo that way.
This is true, but sometimes when there's a rental car/bike involved, I feel bad "ditching" someone for him/her to wander about on public transports or foot.

Having mostly travelled with family, I will admit that my pace is quicker and that can frustrate others. Speaking/knowing 4 languages and having travelled quite a bit, I'm able to handle things "like a local" and family members travelling with me just wonder why I process everything so quickly.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by mlin32
Having mostly travelled with family, I will admit that my pace is quicker and that can frustrate others. Speaking/knowing 4 languages and having travelled quite a bit, I'm able to handle things "like a local" and family members travelling with me just wonder why I process everything so quickly.
Being treated with wonder by less travel-experienced family members would be an improvement over being treated with distrust. Here's a scenario that's played out several times with one particular family member when we travel together.

Me: *Exit airplane, start walking toward terminal exit*

They: *wanders off in different direction*

Me: Where are you going?

They: (indignant) Checking a map to see where to go!

Me: The nearest bathrooms are just behind us, the tunnel out from Concourse C is over this way.

They: We should ask someone for directions.

Me: It's O'Hare. I've been here countless times. We take the tunnel from Concourse C to B, go around the escalator, and straight out through baggage claim.

...Three minutes later...

Me: *Exiting baggage claim to the street *

They: *wanders the other direction, pointing anxiously*

Me: What's up?

They: The sign says car rental is over this way!

Me: That's only if you don't have a reservation. We have one, so we go straight to the depot offsite. A company shuttle picks us up at the curb outside baggage claim.

They: I think we should ask to be sure.

Me: Why are you fighting me on this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.