Wiki Posts
Search

What do i need to fly into the uk

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2017, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The don't lie advice is critical.

While there is a very good chance that you will be through in <30 seconds, there is the chance that you will be pulled aside and questioned. That is out of concern for you and for HMG becoming your support.

Have your documents ready, but don't volunteer things. If asked, produce them. If not asked, then don't. If asked where you are staying, have the name and address handy. Have the parents' mobile # handy. But, don't start pulling out wads of paper.

If you are asked a question, answer it. If you don't know the answer, say so. Don't fib.

Lastly, what is your plan once through border formalities? Is your GF or her family meeting you? If so, being able to tell UKBA that the family is at LHR may be helpful. Again, not something to say unless you are asked.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Do you have a debit or credit card in your own name?

You'll want to get those British pounds. The easiest way is an ATM right when you get off the plane. Don't waste your time and money getting some in the US before you leave.

If you possibly can pack with just a carry-on, that gets rid of the whole rechecking luggage issue. (I do 3+ week overseas trips often with just a back-pack or a carry-on roller bag.) And you don't have to worry about it getting lost. Pack lightly. It will be fun to buy some Brit t-shirts to wear while there and bring home.

Check web site(s) of the airline(s) from which you bought your tickets for carry-on dimensions and weights and stay within the lower numbers. To give you a general idea, Delta carry-on is 22"x14"x9" (or at least it was the last time I looked). Most "carry-on" roller bags are at or under that. My favorite backpack is a Rick Steves Appenzell with the main compartment 1400 cubic inches.

Rick Steves web site has a good write-up on travel scams and dangers. While I wouldn't let it get me very worried, it is worth a look.

Your local library probably has travel guides. Definitely worth reading some. I've actually checked them out and taken them on a trip with me. If your library doesn't, Amazon has a ton. My personal favorite series is Lonely Planet, and they have one just on London. Rough Guide is another good one for your age.

There is the whole cell phone sim card issue. I avoid it by just carrying an iPad and hunting down wi-fi. But if you want to have a phone while there you'll have to sort it out.

For things that need electricity - the electronics will need an adaptor. They are cheap and easy to find. The non-electronics will need a converter from 110 to 220. US to UK.

Last edited by Romelle; Apr 9, 2017 at 8:04 pm
Old Apr 9, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
OP:
I would also not mention that you are going to stay with your girlfriend. That will raise suspicions that you intend to overstay.
Instead, say that you will be staying with family friends (her parents). A letter from them would be helpful.

Do you have medical insurance for your trip?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by alaskacjc
im in a long distance relationship and im planning on visting my girlfriend and i would be staying at her house
This will likely raise red flags with immigration authorities. Good luck.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Welcome to FT, your experience will most likely be very simple and you'll have a great trip but it's always good to be prepared. Be honest but also don't tell the UKBA agent more than they need to know either. When you move on to actually booking feel free to report back and ask for comments & advice on your routing and what to experience at each airport. Maybe a nice restaurant recommendation for the lady.

Need List:
-US passport with at least 3 months validity after your trip.
-Return ticket to the US. The fact that you have an additional separate ticket from Seattle to Alaska is potentially a good thing for UKBA as it shows the additional intent to return. BUT please be aware that with separate tickets you want to have large buffers of time between those flights as the airline could have a delay that would cause problems for you as they aren't required to put you on the next flight. Some airlines are better at this than others. I'm imagining you'd be flying AS to SEA and then AA to PHL and then on to LHR on either AA or BA so give yourself some extra time in SEA or fly in a night early if you have a friend or family in the Seattle area you can stay with. Same goes for the return flight. You'll do immigrations and Customs at the airport you first fly into the US.
-Proof of funds. It's good to have some cash (US or GBP), a debit card in your name & a bank statement showing access to more funds. I'd say at least a $500 balance to avoid any issues.

Good idea to have list:
-A letter, notarized if possible, from your parents saying they know of your travel & give their permission to travel. Include contact info.
-A letter, notarized if possible, from your lady friend's parents inviting you to visit and stay with them with. Include contact information. With both of these letters it's best to keep it short and focused.
-A credit card in your name. This is something your parents will probably have to do for you. They can add you as an authorized user to a credit card they have. Depending on the card/bank this can be a free item, may come with the ability to restrict how much you can charge on it & help you establish credit for your future. As a 17 yo it's good to start now to build your history and learn the responsibilities of credit card use. Look for a card with no foreign transaction fees. Another option is for them to cosign for a credit card for you but that's something for you and your parents to decide upon. Being an AU is much easier but having your own credit established is a good thing also.
-As a 17 yo you could be going to be a high school senior, graduating HS or whatever your school/work situation is. If you're in school or going to be attending one it's not a bad idea to carry a copy of something showing enrollment. A schedule or entrance paperwork is good. If you're employed, even if it's just parttime or an after school/weekend job, you can ask your employer to write a short note that you have a job & you're expected to return to work after your trip.
-A cell phone that either is unlocked so you can purchase a SIM over there for service or a US cell phone that has service abroad. Some carriers charge for use abroad and some do not. Tmobile & Fi are examples of US services that do not change for use in the UK.

Don't need:
-If you're just vacationing you will not need a visa. US citizens are not required to have one for stays in the UK for tourism under 90 days.
-A letter authorizing you to leave the country. As said above it is a good idea but it not required by the majority of airlines traveling between the US & UK nor the governments.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: OMNI Platinum
To the OP, watch this and you'll have a idea as to how it is when arriving in the UK.

Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by celle
OP:
I would also not mention that you are going to stay with your girlfriend. That will raise suspicions that you intend to overstay.
Instead, say that you will be staying with family friends (her parents). A letter from them would be helpful.

No no no no no no no!

Don't lie!!! Have you never watched the fly-on-the-wall documentaries with immigration agents? Getting caught in a lie is much worse ("you said you were staying with family friends, but I phoned them and they said their daughter is your girlfriend/ the text messages on your phone / the letters in your luggage tell a different story").

Red flag issue yes, but that's why you need proof of travel home and proof of reason to travel home (e.g. university place).
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
OP:

Again, don't lie.

If they ask about whether you might overstay tell them you have to go home to finish high school!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
But Americans (and everyone else) get charged quite handsomely to leave the UK
Not by train or boat, they don't - and they don't have to hand over all their passwords for crooked officers to plunder their accounts.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:14 pm

not sure this thread should continue, we can't advise, only give a general idea. It would be best for the OP to contact their nearest embassy/consulate.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:57 pm

When I just searched for "minor", I found this on the Delta site:

"Enrollment in the Delta Air Lines Unaccompanied Minor program is mandatory for children 5 to 14. If you prefer that your 15 to 17 year old travel without supervision, please advise the agent at the time of the reservation and it will be noted. Your child will be expected to handle boarding and deplaning as well as transfers to connecting gates on their own.

Remind your teenager never to leave the airport for any reason unless accompanied by a badged Delta employee or uniformed police officer until they have reached their destination city. She or he should never seek help from or leave the airport with strangers.

Provide your teenager with instructions, phone contacts and a small amount of money for food in the unlikely event their flight is missed, delayed, canceled or rerouted.

Remind your teenager that they can seek the assistance of any Delta employee if they have questions, concerns or need reassurance.

Remember most hotels will not accept young people who are not accompanied by an adult."

I'd assume there is similar advice on the sites of the airlines OP will be flying. Worth checking. The above seemed sensible.

There was some discussion a while back about getting things notarized. If OP (original poster) isn't familiar with that, it really is very simple and usually inexpensive. Banks often have notaries. In the corporation for which I worked (a railroad), many of the secretaries were notaries. The UPS store can have a notary. If one has a connection with the company, it usually is simply free. Might be a dollar or a few dollars. But it does add to the authenticity of a document, after OP figures out just which documents are needed, or at least maybe helpful.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:34 am

This is a link to American Airline's site with specific information on your situation:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ied-minors.jsp

I assume there is a similar one with British Air, but I figure you can find that yourself. Just get on their web site and search on "minor".
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
OP:
Thank you. So many times I have read and heard the advice I gave - not to mention that you are going to visit a girl friend. It always raises a red flag, particularly if you are entering the US.

A letter from the girlfriend's parents should be sufficient, but if you are questioned further, say that your girlfriend also lives there. All I was saying is not to initially volunteer the information. Of course, don't lie if questioned further, but you should be truthful long before the question of phoning the girlfriend's parents arises.

Having a ticket for the flight out of the UK will further support the OP.

As a UK citizen, I go through UK immigration several times a year with my husband, who is not a UK citizen. He is always asked how long he intends to stay and showing the return ticket has always been accepted as proof he will not overstay.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'd go with the "don't lie" camp. Staying with friends is legitimate and truthful, and I'd have the address handy. If the nature of the friendship is questioned, then I would tell the truth - it's girlfriend and her parents.

I assume you actually know this girl from Alaska or wherever you were before she moved to the UK and this isn't some sort of Internet thing? If the immigration official smells something like that, it could be a red flag.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:50 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Romelle
British Air
British Airways

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.