FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Travel attire (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1824086-travel-attire.html)

Pats Feb 21, 2017 1:55 pm

Travel attire

i just read this interesting article (albeit slightly tongue in cheek) and wondered if anyone has any strong views, I know I do.

http://www.cntraveler.com/story/editors-letter-why-your-flight-attire-matters

skylady Feb 21, 2017 11:29 pm

I have found it to be true, that the better you are dressed anywhere, the better you are treated.

LondonElite Feb 22, 2017 1:04 am

I don't think it's tongue in cheek at all. It's pretty obvious that the way you dress will give people their first impression of you. If you dress like a slob then people will (usually correctly), make the assumption that you are a slob and treat you accordingly.

Pats Feb 22, 2017 1:35 am

Refreshing to hear. I have, over the years, seen some atrocious abominations, even in F, plimsoles, anoraks, even ladies in t-shirts! I suppose the golden age of flying when people took pride in appearance are long gone. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting we make ourselves uncomfortable but what's wrong with a Givenchy or Versace twin set for the ladies and at least smart slacks and a lovely jacket for the gents

frobozzelectric Feb 22, 2017 1:44 am

dressing for airports

i have settled on my standard airport attire, regardless of destination. simple blazer, shirt, khakis, sneakers.

no need to go all hawaiian even if that is my destination wear.

​​​​​​
if flying out of countries where human tafficking is a perceived problem what you wear can affect how passport control staff of your country treats you. especially true in the case of solo women travellers or solo women with foreign man.

yep the clothes make the man (woman). naked people have very little influence in society.

davie355 Feb 22, 2017 2:39 am

"certain sartorial truisms transcend taste" -- very hard to come up with a sequence of five words more pompous than that.

When I travel I care only that my attire is functional. I avoid belts with huge metal buckles that I'd have to remove at security. I prefer button-up shirts with front pockets because the buttons hold cloth napkins (on flights with meals) and the pocket holds boarding passes.

lhrsfo Feb 22, 2017 3:24 am

Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 27942059)
"certain sartorial truisms transcend taste" -- very hard to come up with a sequence of five words more pompous than that.

That seems unfair. Using only five words fully to describe a slightly complicated matter almost inevitably involves multi-syllabic words which are not in common usage. Perhaps there should be a prize for who can say the same thing more succinctly.

WhatTheMiguel Feb 22, 2017 4:26 am

For most flights I wear business attire, or jeans and 'smart' top if it's a more casual flight. But if it's an international flight, I bring something comfortable to change into on the plane (which can be a challenge in those tiny bathrooms) so I can try to sleep. I then change back before we land. I don't know why, but I feel like you need to be presentable when you are getting on and off the plane, but I am okay with being comfortable on the plane.

WorldLux Feb 22, 2017 4:51 am

Originally Posted by skylady (Post 27941601)
I have found it to be true, that the better you are dressed anywhere, the better you are treated.

I wear whatever I want and I'm still getting treated nicely. Usually I wear jeans and a t-shirt/shirt and that's about it. More importantly is that you're wearing clean cloths and don't look sloppy. I hate it when my seat neighbour smells like a burning dumpster (I've had a few over the years).

emma69 Feb 22, 2017 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Pats (Post 27941932)
Refreshing to hear. I have, over the years, seen some atrocious abominations, even in F, plimsoles, anoraks, even ladies in t-shirts! I suppose the golden age of flying when people took pride in appearance are long gone. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting we make ourselves uncomfortable but what's wrong with a Givenchy or Versace twin set for the ladies and at least smart slacks and a lovely jacket for the gents

There's nothing comfy to me about flying in wool, and they generally are not cut very long (and seeing midriff or worse when you lift a bag into the overhead isn't all that classy!) Plus I have had too many things accidentally spilt by FAs or other passengers to want to opt for items that are dry clean only (especially on the outbound flight somewhere). If I am spending 32 hours travelling, I am not doing it in fitted clothing and heels, but in breathable, stretchable fabrics that can be washed on arrival and flat shoes.

Proudelitist Feb 22, 2017 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Pats (Post 27939695)
i just read this interesting article (albeit slightly tongue in cheek) and wondered if anyone has any strong views, I know I do.

http://www.cntraveler.com/story/edit...attire-matters

Absolutely. No, it will no longer get you upgrades on flights...however, there is a subconscious response people have. The better you look, the better you are treated. It is known as "The Halo Effect".

I have found that I get much better response from rental and hotel clerks, as well as ticket agents and even other pax and FA's when I am wearing a suit and tie than if I show up in jeans and a t-shirt. Rational or not, it is the case.

fatmenace Feb 22, 2017 10:39 am

Shorts and t-shirt. If I ask for another drink, I always get it. I've never been kicked off a plane for dressing down. I've never NOT been served my tiny bag of pretzels because I'm in an regular shirt. I find how I get treated by FAs is far more influenced by how I treat them, as opposed to whether or not I'm wearing a dress shirt. Don't like how I dress? Start your own airline and make a dress code.

Calliopeflyer Feb 22, 2017 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Pats (Post 27941932)
I suppose the golden age of flying when people took pride in appearance are long gone.

Yes, and so are the days of small airports, low cab fares, red cap luggage handlers, small crowds, loose security, and roomier airline seats. At least for most people.

If I'm going to have to walk 30 minutes (at least half of that while toting my luggage), stand in a crowded line, have to take off my shoes +/- belt +/- jewelry for security, wait in hard plastic chairs and then shuffle into a narrow plane seat and not move for a couple of hours while pressing creases into my clothes and hair, I'm not going to get dressed up.

If dressing casually and crumply in inexpensive and easily-washable clothing is going to mean that I'm not treated as well by airline staff, I can live with that......there are more important things to me than whether or not I'm offered an extra magazine etc. or make a good impression on ground crew that I'm unlikely to ever see again.

Yes, there are lots of people who are prejudiced into thinking clothes make the man (or woman), but I will choose when I want to play their game and when I don't. Airplane travel is one of the times I won't play.

pinniped Feb 22, 2017 12:56 pm

I've traveled in full business attire and I've traveled casual. I've reached the conclusion that this is not a variable that is supplied to the algorithm that automatically sorts the upgrade list.

I mean, it'd be nice if the United.om app would take a selfie, automatically recognize the coat and tie, and then move my name from #27 to #1. But it doesn't work that way, and I just assume any travel writer doing a piece on attire is lying on a beach somewhere mailing it in for the week. This tired old story has written itself many times before. We usually get them in December.

IMHO, fatmenace has it right. How you're treated is more correlated to how you treat the people you interact with during the journey. They don't care how wealthy or important you look: they see it all, every day, all day long.

Doc Savage Feb 22, 2017 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 27944102)
I've traveled in full business attire and I've traveled casual. I've reached the conclusion that this is not a variable that is supplied to the algorithm that automatically sorts the upgrade list.

I mean, it'd be nice if the United.om app would take a selfie, automatically recognize the coat and tie, and then move my name from #27 to #1. But it doesn't work that way, and I just assume any travel writer doing a piece on attire is lying on a beach somewhere mailing it in for the week. This tired old story has written itself many times before. We usually get them in December.

Reading the article, I think the author has unresolved mommy issues. ;)