FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Travel attire (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1824086-travel-attire.html)

Badenoch Sep 24, 17 3:25 pm


Originally Posted by BobbyC777 (Post 28851547)
Who wants to sit next to someone who is practically not even wearing a shirt?

I do if she's young and hot. Add a pair of daisy dukes and an otherwise hum drum flight is an eye candy extravaganza! :D

GadgetFreak Sep 24, 17 3:39 pm

I just re-watched “This is Spinal Tap” over the weekend. This thread will always remind me of it.

CitizenWorld Sep 25, 17 12:31 am

I dress for comfort when flying irrespective of class of travel. Seems silly to do otherwise.

frankmu Sep 25, 17 12:41 am


Originally Posted by GadgetFreak (Post 28853801)
I just re-watched “This is Spinal Tap” over the weekend. This thread will always remind me of it.

If there is a reboot of Spinal Tap, I’d like to see them go through Global Entry and declare the cucumber :D

ckx2 Sep 26, 17 11:28 pm


Originally Posted by Rebelyell (Post 27963027)
When I was a kid, flying meant Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes. And I still wear a suit and tie when attending church, although it is now popular to dress as if one if getting ready to change the oil in one's car.


If some really hairy guy wears a sleeveless wife-beater shirt, it grosses me out, and the thought of sitting next to such a person makes me want to vomit. So I do care what other people wear. If an airline were to have a "resort casual" dress code, I would be more likely to fly it. As for the bad smell, I do wish the airlines would just have a list of rules like they do for exit rows that remind people to take a shower, use extra-strong, unscented antiperspirant, and refrain from using cologne or perfume.

Consider private jets.

zippy the pinhead Sep 26, 17 11:46 pm

Doesn't functionality come into play? I saw this Web site and was thinking to give some of their allegedly pick-pocket proof shorts a try.

CDTraveler Sep 27, 17 2:33 am

I dress to protect myself to the maximum extent possible from TSA gropers. Long slacks, shoes with socks, a fitted top. I care less about how other pax perceive me than I do about keeping those nasty blue gloves off my skin.

Fraser Sep 27, 17 5:10 pm

A couple of weeks ago my other half took her cousin and his wife (in their early 20s) to JFK for a short domestic flight leaving at 6am. She was wearing 5" heels and he was dressed to the nines. Much to our amusement we later learned from another family member that they like to dress up because other passengers might think they are someone important or a celebrity. When we learned this we struggled to keep a straight face :D

You'll find me in a polo shirt or maybe button up shirt if I've come from the office wearing either jeans or shorts depending on the temperature. On longer flights I'll change into t-shirt and PJ bottoms once onboard, unless the airline provides them.

darthbimmer Sep 28, 17 12:15 am


Originally Posted by Fraser (Post 28866629)
A couple of weeks ago my other half took her cousin and his wife (in their early 20s) to JFK for a short domestic flight leaving at 6am. She was wearing 5" heels and he was dressed to the nines. Much to our amusement we later learned from another family member that they like to dress up because other passengers might think they are someone important or a celebrity. When we learned this we struggled to keep a straight face :D

Your cousins' belief is humorous to me because if one pays attention to how the rich and famous actually dress in public most of the time, it's very different. They dress to the nines when they want to cause a stir. More often they want not to be stopped left, right, and center by admirers, and will dress down. But because they're wealthy, powerful, and/or fashion conscious it's not in their nature to go completely Joe-schmoe. Mastering the art of dressing half casual is how you get strangers at the club, casino, hotel, airport, etc. treating you like you might be someone important.

GadgetFreak Sep 28, 17 2:52 am


Originally Posted by darthbimmer (Post 28867748)
Your cousins' belief is humorous to me because if one pays attention to how the rich and famous actually dress in public most of the time, it's very different. They dress to the nines when they want to cause a stir. More often they want not to be stopped left, right, and center by admirers, and will dress down. But because they're wealthy, powerful, and/or fashion conscious it's not in their nature to go completely Joe-schmoe. Mastering the art of dressing half casual is how you get strangers at the club, casino, hotel, airport, etc. treating you like you might be someone important.

Yeah. I posted on another thread that I sat I front of Robert Plant on a flight from JFK to London and he was wearing jeans and a Hawaiian type shirt as I recall. I’ve run into DeNiro a couple times as well, also dressed very casually.

Artpen100 Sep 28, 17 11:28 am

I've never really paid any attention to what other people planes or see why I should care. I may have a blazer on, but that is purely because I like having lots of pockets.

Fraser Sep 28, 17 2:38 pm


Originally Posted by darthbimmer (Post 28867748)
Your cousins' belief is humorous to me

I don't get it either!

What is somewhat amusing is the cousin's wife works for a well renowned stylist here in NYC! They have quite a few A list clients so you think she'd know better if that was her goal.

slawecki Sep 28, 17 3:25 pm

wife and i were returning from abul symbol(sp). there were about 200 people lined up to get through the airport scanner. a pretty young thing in front of us set the machine off . she go back and take off shirt. then jewelry one at a time. then this and that. she got down to panties and bra, and still set the machine off. wife wanted to go next to join the fun. she was really upset when our guards walked wife outside the line and put us on the plane.

tentseller Sep 28, 17 8:47 pm


Originally Posted by Artpen100 (Post 28869546)
I've never really paid any attention to what other people planes or see why I should care. I may have a blazer on, but that is purely because I like having lots of pockets.

^^^
One can never have too many pockets while traveling

Calliopeflyer Sep 29, 17 6:03 am


Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 28871663)
^^^
One can never have too many pockets while traveling

That's why I choose cargo pants.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 4:49 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.