FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Travel attire (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1824086-travel-attire.html)

Annalisa12 Oct 9, 2017 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by RandomNobody (Post 28894742)
I do. At least for Takeoff and Landing.

Private pilots are taught "if you're wearing it, it's survival gear, if you're not wearing it, it's camping gear." Mainly in the vein of landing-out and crashing in the forest/desert somewhere. Don't expect your stuff to be accessible if it's not attached to you somehow.

If i crash land I consider I'll be dead and won't need my stuff near me.

Annalisa12 Oct 9, 2017 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by DIRECT MERIT (Post 28903533)
I once wore black tie on a 7am flight from Nice to London, but only because I'd come straight from a party at the Cannes Film Festival. Still semi-drunk, bleary-eyed, I cannot have been a pretty sight. Gave the cabin crew a giggle though!

Hope you were in 1st class.

BuddhaExplores Nov 16, 2017 6:38 pm

I tend to dress depending on why I am traveling, if I'm traveling for work, it'll be in work attire, otherwise, for any leisure travel - I tend to wear a black/grey t-shirt with shorts/jeans depending on the temperature of the location. I get how this may come across as "not classy" - but if I'm traveling, I'd like to be comfortable - especially when I've paid for business class already, I'd like to enjoy it in full comfort :)

thebigben Nov 17, 2017 4:47 am

I have my routine pretty well worked out now, and wouldn't wear anything other than the following:

- Cotton trousers (More comfortable than denim to me)
- Light shoes (Usually a pair of Converse, doesn't get too hot/sweaty on long periods of time. Although I often remove my shoes on the plane anyway)
- A thin sweater (Just enough to compensate the cold cabin air)
- A T-Shirt (Because I am doing my own laundry and can't be bothered with ironing)
- Funny Socks - Sometimes (Have a laugh with fly attendants or the person next to you, why not?)
- An aviator watch and a ring (That's purely to compensate the fact that I clearly cannot be bothered wearing a Blazer on a plane, so I have to bring it up a notch at some point.)

CDTraveler Nov 17, 2017 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo (Post 28894522)
Ironically, perhaps the less you have on, the less there is for TSA to grope. If you show up in a tank top and ranger panties, what really is there to pat down? That outfit would leave VERY little to the imagination. :p

My experience is that TSA will rub down bare skin just as much as clothed parts of your body. One trip I had on a short sleeved t-shirt and capris, and they completely rubbed down my arms and ankles. (I shudder just remembering that creepy touch).

There are multiple mentions of pockets in this thread. I just bought a new rain jacket and #1 on the priority list in choosing it was an interior zippered pocket big enough to hold a passport.

DragonSoul Nov 19, 2017 9:57 pm

Does anyone take safety into consideration when choosing what to wear? For example, I wouldn't wear flip-flops or 5" heels in case of an emergency evacuation.

greggarious Nov 19, 2017 10:01 pm

I usually don't dress up. I've been thinking of getting a no-wrinkle sportcoat though... it's actually nice to have a pocket to put my passport in that's close to my body, if anyone has suggestions. (Plus the few times I've gone through in a suit coat I notice people are more polite :D)

deniah Nov 20, 2017 1:27 am

Originally Posted by DragonSoul (Post 29079750)
Does anyone take safety into consideration when choosing what to wear? For example, I wouldn't wear flip-flops or 5" heels in case of an emergency evacuation.

being that chances of running into an emergency evac (where expediency impacts my survivability) is 1 in a brazillion... i dont dress for flights with anymore safety-specific consideration than i do a car or a train trip

DragonSoul Nov 20, 2017 2:50 am

Originally Posted by deniah (Post 29080135)
being that chances of running into an emergency evac (where expediency impacts my survivability) is 1 in a brazillion... i dont dress for flights with anymore safety-specific consideration than i do a car or a train trip

Well I wouldn't wear either for driving too. :) But here's to hoping you never find out. It's not fun.

Annalisa12 Nov 20, 2017 3:55 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer (Post 27947110)
Perfect long-haul flight attire:

Fleecy rugby top, black sweatpants and grandad slippers. Never failed me yet.

try Crocs. Easy to slip on and off. :D

Jacky4332 Nov 20, 2017 4:08 am

Never judge a book by its cover

Never judge a book by its cover is an old saying - just saying

milgom Nov 20, 2017 5:20 am

I wear weather appropriate clothes for the place I'm flying from and my destination. So I'm flying from Malaysia, I'm usually wearing shorts, sandals and a t-shirt, shirt or polo (but something light). It might not be classy but at least I'm comfortable and based on the smell emanating from some of the more well dressed passengers, I wish they chose their clothes more sensibly instead of marinating in their clothes...

I did have a few times were the flight attendants were surprised that I had a business class ticket because they are not used to people dressing casually with such a ticket (or maybe due to me looking rather young..)

Carnforth Nov 20, 2017 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jacky4332 (Post 29080362)
Never judge a book by its cover is an old saying - just saying

How true,
My wife and I neither dress up nor dress down - smart (I hope!) casual would be fairly accurate- we are, however, in the retired age-bracket.
But on a couple of occasions we haven't fitted the preconceived idea of the GAs and have been asked "Are you business class?'
and it's a bit insulting when it's evident that this is not being asked of other BC pax who do fit the image.
Once at Norwich, while we were waiting to be called forward at the BC check-in and once at Frankfurt when the BC class passengers had been called.
Like we were daft enough to ignore the big signs denoting the BC queue/check-in, or the loud announcements for BC pax to board.
Ok, I realise that some folk may do that, but we don't ,and it's annoying to suggest, based solely on appearance that we have done so, .

Even more annoying when they have the means to instantly check on your status but still feel it's necessary to challenge you.

Naturally I'm now armed with one or two choice responses, should it happen again.

nkedel Nov 20, 2017 5:21 pm

I'm amazed this thread has stayed civil and didn't get locked, as this often turns into a flame war.

I really don't see the value in formal dress outside of fancy occasions, and flying certainly isn't one. I agree with the poster up-thread who said "don't be a slob" but casual doesn't mean being a slob, and I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd rather sit next to someone in a clean T-shirt and sweat pants than someone in a suit who's clearly been sweating in the suit all day.

Really, I have only 2 requests for fellow passengers, and both matter MORE in the close confines of coach:
* Don't smell bad. The problem is generally BO from dudes, and too much perfume from women. And for the love of god, don't PUT ON your perfume or nail polish in the confines of a plane. Not even in the lavatory.
* Don't wear so little that I'm going to be bumping into your bare shoulders or thighs in tight quarters.

mapleg Nov 21, 2017 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by DragonSoul (Post 29079750)

Well, as a man I never thought of wearing 5 inch heels, particularly on a flight:p

I do recall on an F flight changing into the airline's pajamas and slippers prior to take off (mid winter, abundant snow on ground, temp about minus15C) and I did think I am going to look pretty silly if evacuated to the runway wearing PJ's and slippers