FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Travel attire (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1824086-travel-attire.html)

Badenoch Nov 21, 2017 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by DragonSoul (Post 29079750)
Does anyone take safety into consideration when choosing what to wear? For example, I wouldn't wear flip-flops or 5" heels in case of an emergency evacuation.

I do somewhat. Most of the time I fly in cargo pants and keep my passport, wallet and phone in the side pockets. If the plane must be evacuated these are the items I want with me. Keeping them there also deters theft on overnight flights. I don't wear flip-flops or heels in any event and don't select my footwear in the event of an emergency evacuation but do not remove my shoes much less change into sleepwear until cruising altitude is reached.

Fraser Nov 21, 2017 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by DIRECT MERIT (Post 28903533)
I once wore black tie on a 7am flight from Nice to London, but only because I'd come straight from a party at the Cannes Film Festival. Still semi-drunk, bleary-eyed, I cannot have been a pretty sight. Gave the cabin crew a giggle though!

:D

My ex-BIL flew from SFO to the UK to spend Xmas with me a few years ago. We were attending a black tie event for New Year's Eve and he is someone who always travelled by basically throwing random items into a backpack just before he needed to go to the airport. He couldn't figure out a way to pack his tuxedo, shoes etc. properly so decided the best option was to wear it. the whole lot....on an overnight SFO-LHR in Y :D He looked pretty ragtag yet spiffy at the same time!

GadgetFreak Nov 21, 2017 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser (Post 29087229)
:D

My ex-BIL flew from SFO to the UK to spend Xmas with me a few years ago. We were attending a black tie event for New Year's Eve and he is someone who always travelled by basically throwing random items into a backpack just before he needed to go to the airport. He couldn't figure out a way to pack his tuxedo, shoes etc. properly so decided the best option was to wear it. the whole lot....on an overnight SFO-LHR in Y :D He looked pretty ragtag yet spiffy at the same time!

If he had worn 5 inch heels too he would have been a legend. :)

nkedel Nov 22, 2017 3:55 pm

Does anyone take safety into consideration when choosing what to wear? For example, I wouldn't wear flip-flops or 5" heels in case of an emergency evacuation.

Kind of; I wear sneakers rather than my usual sport sandals, not so much because of evacuation but because of the shoe carnival at security. Socks and sandals are a step too far even for me (and kind of miss the point of keeping my feet cool and unconstricted), and this way I'm not barefoot going through security.

Can't hurt to have the closed toes in an evacuation, but I don't think the sneakers really offer much protection.

EuropeanPete Nov 22, 2017 4:43 pm

Rationally though, if you're sensitive enough to the risks of having inadequate shoes during a plane crash with a hazardous evacuation you should be going around town with your own personal oxygen kit always wearing a helmet.

DragonSoul Nov 22, 2017 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 29091037)
Rationally though, if you're sensitive enough to the risks of having inadequate shoes during a plane crash with a hazardous evacuation you should be going around town with your own personal oxygen kit always wearing a helmet.

May you never 'enjoy' the thrill of PTSD.

Fedez1234 Nov 23, 2017 10:01 am

shirt, jeans and shoes :)

I always do this

darthbimmer Nov 23, 2017 10:39 am

Originally Posted by nkedel (Post 29090903)
Kind of; I wear sneakers rather than my usual sport sandals, not so much because of evacuation but because of the shoe carnival at security. Socks and sandals are a step too far even for me (and kind of miss the point of keeping my feet cool and unconstricted), and this way I'm not barefoot going through security.

I wear sport sandals in the warmer weather along with synthetic wool ankle socks. That combo covers all the bases.

Can't hurt to have the closed toes in an evacuation, but I don't think the sneakers really offer much protection.
Years ago I switched to Keen sport sandals with toe caps and haven't looked back.

CDTraveler Nov 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 29091037)

:td:

Not every emergency landing is the result of a killer crash. I've been through 2 emergency evacs and I don't even fly as much as many people here. Both times I was damn glad to be wearing shoes that I could both climb and run in.

nkedel Nov 24, 2017 10:44 pm

Sport sandals are great for both climbing and running. Not so great for protecting toes from getting stepped on in a panicked crowd, but much much better than flip flops.

(Link purely an example.)